TLwrx v 3.0 Transmission Line Software - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2008, 04:17 PM   #1
CarlosT is offline CarlosT  United States
diyAudio Member

Default TLwrx v 3.0 Transmission Line Software

Anyone buy and use this software recently? This is the distillation of G.L. Augspurger's work on modeling the TL...similar to King's work but I guess more of "TL For Dummies" style...I think.

Anyway...not happy with a recent bout with some pseudo-technical offering for TL sub design, I'd like to crunch my own numbers for various drivers and cabinets but I'm not ready to get a Master's in mathematics...
Old 24th March 2008, 04:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Link to offering...

http://www.audioxpress.com/bksprods/.../sof-tlwrx.htm
Old 24th March 2008, 05:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

And if Martin King's listening...Mr. King have you ever considered selling a "TL For Dummies" program collating all your Mathcad sheets with a nice interface? Thanks!
Old 24th March 2008, 08:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

To continue my monologue...

The program is not currently available in a Windows XP compatible form...bummer...

Email from Audioxpress:

"Hello Carlos,

Mr. Augspurger has indicated the software is not compatible with Windows XP. We have not had any updates since 2004 but I have recently contacted Mr. Augspurger to see if he is planning on any updates any time soon since we have had a number of inquires concerning Windows XP.
Once I hear back from him I will let you know what his plans are.

Best Regards,

< >
Customer Service"
Old 24th March 2008, 09:49 PM   #5
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by CarlosT
And if Martin King's listening...Mr. King have you ever considered selling a "TL For Dummies" program collating all your Mathcad sheets with a nice interface? Thanks!
I considered it for a while. But to do that it would require me to stop moving forward with new models, stop improving the existing models, and invest a lot of time programming. This would have to translate into a higher cost and a lot of dog work I am just not that interested in doing right now. So I guess the short answer is I am happy with the way things are right now with respect to the interface.

The MathCad worksheets are very flexible and not that hard to use. If you download and install the MathCad Explorer 8 program you can try the sample problem worksheet. You cannot change the driver but you can modify the enclosure and try your hand at designing a TL. Reading the tutorial will help you understand how to use the worksheets. MathCad really is very easy to use once you get over the initial intimidation of learning something new and very different from Excel. Most people, not everybody, come up to speed quickly and are designing before they know it. Some people are just never happy with MathCad.
Old 25th March 2008, 12:29 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you, Mr. King. I guess I will have to try my hand at the Mathcad...
Old 25th March 2008, 09:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Carlos, there is no need to be scared of Martin J King´s software. You do not need to be an expert in math. Very soon you will be familiar with the user interface. Please take a look at my document, where you will get a feeling of how little you actually have to type in:

Pearls

Hi from Bjorn
Old 25th March 2008, 02:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks so much, Bjorn.

Two questions...

1- The link to Martin's alignment tables is dead. These would be helpful.

2- Coming from the point of interest of a DJ, I'm interested in designing a subwoofer with a very narrow band of response...let's say 30 Hz to 200 Hz. What aspects of TL design would not be important? Stuffing of the TL comes to mind. Stuffing is normally presented as a way to "cheat" on the length of the line but also as a damping for higher resonances. Limiting the crossover to 200 Hz one would think this is no longer an issue. Ergo, most commercial DJ subwoofers have no lining at all.
Old 25th March 2008, 08:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Carlos, Martins alignement tables are found on his site. Sorry my link is broken.

Please note, you can not "cheat" the length of the pipe by stuffing.

Stuffing is improving the response. More stuffing = cleaner sound and less bass. You will always need stuffing, but the distribution and density will vary.

General: More volume = more bass, so it depends on what size you can accept.

Take a look at this example: LAT

This sub would not be invisible, but I would expect a good result.

I hope this has inspired you to try out the Mathcad models by Martin J. King

Hi from
Bjorn
Old 26th March 2008, 06:32 AM   #10
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CarlosT

......I'm interested in designing a subwoofer with a very narrow band of response...let's say 30 Hz to 200 Hz.
This isn't a narrow enough BW for a TL to either omit or at least use minimal stuffing since the deep 3rd harmonic dip will occur around 120 Hz. By the time you stuff it enough to damp it down, there won't be much gain BW left and why relatively high Qts drivers are preferred.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!