Hornresp

:wave: I have no idea what your phone will allow after the photo is taken, I was referring to when you are taking photos. The key is to pay attention and learn to control the camera orientation, you should have a little orientation indicator as pictured below.

The site switched the orientation because I attached 2 photos in the same post. The 1st pic was landscape and the 2nd pic was portrait.

Would it be possible to implement your suggested optional approach using an Excel spreadsheet, perhaps?
Just a quick status on the Semi-Inductance calculator spreadsheet...
I've just about got all of the comments/corrections/suggestions from the Beta testers rolled in. Will post spreadsheet here soon for Hornresp users to take for a spin.

All that is needed is the free-air impedance data. Currently it can import ASCII impedance files that are comma, space, or TAB delimited as well as ARTA/LIMP binary *.lim format. The *.zma files that Parts Express posts which include both TAB & spaces between columns also work fine. I'll include a step-by-step example for one of the Dayton drivers.

Attachments

• Semi-LE_Calc_V1_Beta7.png
    Semi-LE_Calc_V1_Beta7.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 198
Sorry to hear that you are having problems. Could you please post a copy of one of the .dat files that generates the error, so that I can investigate. To post the .dat file as an attachment, either place it in a zip file, or change the extension from .dat to .txt.

Hi David,

Here is the copy of one of the files that generates error.

Thanks,
Florent

Attachments

• TL.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 32
Hi David,

First of all, thank you for this very powerful software !!

When I try to open/load some of my .dat files I got that "run-time error '13': type mismatch".
On some of my databases I have the error and on some other I don't.

I'm using version 46.00 (180705).

Kind regards,
Florent

I have the same bug after installing the same latest version over a previous version from June2018. Hornresp throws up the same error dialogue box on trying to open any old .dat projects and clicking on the "OK" crashes Hornresp.

Its such a wonderful program I dont mind. Ill just make some new projects. If you read this David I just want to say thanks.

Is it possible to simulate a horn line array ala this one in Hornresp?

OB-Horn-hybrid by dutch Bert Doppenberg

(But with closed back chamber)

Basically a compound horn with a tiny rear chamber will be a close approximation. This is a part lower midrange loading on the front of the driver and an open air baffle on the rear of the driver. You design one driver and horn. And then do a multiple loudspeaker array in the tools section of the power screen after you have run the calculation.

Bert Doppenberg Compound horn single driver.jpg

Bert Doppenberg Compound horn second step.jpg
wegwP1U4uUDUQAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=

Hi David, can an "Open Baffle" option be added to the "Driver Arrangement" list in Hornresp?

If I'm thinking this through correctly (which is certainly not always the case!), the only difference between the "Open Baffle" option and the "Compound Horn" option would be automatic calculation of the "Path" value, based on the values for L12, L23, L34 and L45 and the flare rates of the CH. For a simple H-type or N-type OB, Path could be (L12+L23+L34)*2. The situation does get a bit more complex if the OB profile is not an H-type or N-type, but can probably be calculated using the flare rates and a bit of geometry.

BTW, something I've found with a bit of experimentation in Hornresp is that high-inductance drivers could make pretty decent open baffle subwoofers, even if Qts is low, but that's probably a subject for another thread....

Hi Brian,

After giving it some thought, I suspect that it is probably safer to leave things as they are, and have the user make the decisions on path length, etc, depending upon their chosen CH / open baffle / dipole design. As you point out, things start to get complicated when more complex profiles are considered, and the selected path length value becomes what is in effect a "judgement call".

Perhaps you could come up with a series of BOXPLAN-style spreadsheets, for different open baffle designs... :).

Kind regards,

David