Hornresp

You can view it this way: the acoustic load on, say, a diaphragm, is the ratio of pressure on the diaphragm to the velocity of the diaphragm.

Further to Bjørn's comments, in case anyone was wondering why the above should be so, it can be considered as simply Ohm's Law at work, but applied in an acoustical sense.

Ohms Law:

V = I * R

Rearranged:

R = V / I

Where:

R = Electrical resistance
V = Electrical voltage
I = Electrical current

If V and I are complex values (i.e. each having real and imaginary components) then resistance R becomes electrical impedance Ze.

The acoustical equivalent to electrical voltage V is sound pressure p, and the acoustical equivalent to electrical current I is volume velocity U, so that the acoustical equivalent to Ze = V / I is Za = p / U, where Za is acoustical impedance. For the driver diaphragm, U = u * Sd where u = velocity of the diaphragm, so that:

Za = p / (u * Sd)

To complete the picture:

The mechanical equivalent to electrical voltage V is force f, and the mechanical equivalent to electrical current I is velocity u, so that the mechanical equivalent to Ze = V / I is Zm = f / u, where Zm is mechanical impedance. For the driver diaphragm, f = p * Sd where p = pressure on the diaphragm, so that:

Zm = p * Sd / u

Therefore:

Zm = Za * Sd ^ 2

Hi David, what's the possibility of having an option for the OD type sim(say, "OD1") that has the driver positioned at S3 instead of S2?

I'm trying to model the layout shown in the diagram, which requires the driver be positioned at S3 in an offset-driver sim in Hornresp.

If it's TOO much trouble, don't worry about it.

Attachments

• 2018-05-26 (1).png
    2018-05-26 (1).png
    138.7 KB · Views: 191
That's great news, thanks. I was thinking that perhaps moving the driver position to another segment of the horn might not be that difficult to do, as it was done with the newly-added "CH1" option :).

With this particular fold, I'm trying to address one of the shortcomings, i.e. the driver ended up being in the wrong position for a perfect offset. By putting the driver at S3 and modifying the expansion/shape of S1-S2, it might be possible to address this. Being able to sim it will show if that's really possible.

I was thinking that perhaps moving the driver position to another segment of the horn might not be that difficult to do, as it was done with the newly-added "CH1" option :).

Hi Brian,

Adding the CH1 option was also major exercise :). It is not that difficult modifying the simulation model itself - it is everything else that needs to be done to fully integrate the new feature, that takes up most of the time.

Kind regards,

David

Hornresp Update 4500-180601

Hi Everyone,

CHANGE

Offset driver horns can now have the driver offset point at either S2 (using the OD option) or at S3 (using the OD1 option). Attachments 1 and 2 refer.

Just out of interest I kept track of the number of coding changes required to fully integrate this new "minor" feature. Changes were made to 141 different parts of the program. Nothing is ever as simple as it might seem :).

BUG FIX 1

When the Response, Index, Beam Width and Polar Map directivity tools were used with a spherical wave (Sph) horn loudspeaker system, a fatal "Subscript out of range" run-time error would be generated. Attachment 3 refers.

BUG FIX 2

Under certain conditions the Loudspeaker Wizard was not being disabled for Hyp, Lec, Obl, Rad, Sph and Tra horns. Attachment 4 refers.

BUG FIX 3

Under certain conditions the Multiple Entry Horn Wizard could be accessed from other than the Input Parameters window. Attachment 5 refers.

BUG FIX 4

The Edit button was not being disabled when the Add button was used to copy an existing invalid record. The Edit button was enabled even though the added record was already in edit mode. Attachment 6 refers.

These four bugs have now been fixed.

NEW KNOWN PROBLEM

I have been advised that the Hornresp Help file will not display correctly if the monitor used has a screen resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixels. Some words or parts of words are shown twice. Attachment 7 refers.

Unfortunately my monitor is limited to a maximum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels, so I cannot observe the problem for myself.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 165
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 154
  • Attach_4.png
    Attach_4.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Attach_5.png
    Attach_5.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Attach_6.png
    Attach_6.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Attach_7.jpg
    Attach_7.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 56
Hi Everyone,

CHANGE

Offset driver horns can now have the driver offset point at either S2 (using the OD option) or at S3 (using the OD1 option). Attachments 1 and 2 refer.

Just out of interest I kept track of the number of coding changes required to fully integrate this new "minor" feature. Changes were made to 141 different parts of the program. Nothing is ever as simple as it might seem :).

**Only** 141 different parts? Not that difficult then :). Thanks! I'm going to resume work on that OD1 workbook today, and perhaps spend some time on the W-bin one if I get the chance.

Thanks again,
B.