Hornresp

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Maybe it's the winter weather up here in the northern hemisphere.

I'm trying to learn transmission line modeling in hornresp. I've got sealed box and front loaded horn modeling down, now hoping to model small FR drivers in TQTW, MLTL and such.
Boring, I know - but you did ask. ;)

Hello dear David! Here's what I got. Final version. What do you think?

1jpg_7928953_25604147.jpg

2jpg_2305508_25604148.jpg

4jpg_9079235_25604153.jpg

Hello, my good friend David! ;)

Here's what I got:

achh2jpg_2867284_28652770.jpg

achhjpg_2063544_28652757.jpg

2017062819_9581088_28652706.jpg

2017070410_5653282_28652711.jpg

2017070411_6343059_28652716.jpg

2017070717_1859047_28652717.jpg

2017071019_6121432_28652723.jpg

2017091119_6456721_28652726.jpg

David, would you like to add Measurements for the car? :):santa3::cheers:

Playing around with hornresp, which is lots of fun, my idea of a video game.

I know it is not the answer but it sure teaches you how things work. To learn the trends of what happens when one changes parameters has been a great help to me. Thanks very much, Mr. Mc Bean.

I had never considered the possibility of a petal horn, mainly because I question how rigid one can make them for a mid bass horn. In my case 90 to 500 Hz.

So I look at the calculator and see it will give one a three sided horn which I find intriguing. Since I readily admit to being nothing more than a dilettante when it comes to understanding horns it seems the triangle has a notable place in loudspeaker design, certainly for boxes.

Being basically a lazy man I like the simplicity of a three sided conical.

So what are the problems? Since I can find no one who has written about this I figure there must be a fundamental flaw.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Cubana,

Here's what I got:

Looks good to me :).

David, would you like to add Measurements for the car?

Measured "room gain" data for the car interior can be imported into Hornresp, and automatically taken into account when calculating the power response.

Ang = 0.5 x Pi is normally assumed when simulating bass loudspeakers in cars.

Kind regards,

David

Hi Rick,

Playing around with hornresp, which is lots of fun, my idea of a video game.

I know it is not the answer but it sure teaches you how things work. To learn the trends of what happens when one changes parameters has been a great help to me.

Your comments have made my day - thanks :).

(From the very beginning I was keen for Hornresp to be not only a simulator but also a learning tool, which hopefully people would find fun to use).

Being basically a lazy man I like the simplicity of a three sided conical.

So what are the problems? Since I can find no one who has written about this I figure there must be a fundamental flaw.

The following thread discusses three-sided conical horns:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...triangular-conical-hornguide.html#post3299200

Kind regards,

David

So im modeling enclosures for mobile use. When i do do i set the. Ang to 2.0pi and add the transfer function? Or at .5pi and add transfer function?

Hi Etocynned,

For most vehicle installations it would seem safe to assume a "corner location" for the bass loudspeaker. In such cases the measured cabin gain should be added to the calculated Ang = 0.5 x Pi response.

You may find the following link of interest: Car Audio Cabin Gain Transfer Function

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Thanks, Mr. McBean,

I was hoping that would have been more useful.

I see no need for a round throat since I am using a woofer and not a compression driver. Seems most of the responses on that thread were concerned with compression drivers. I use a big round horn for my compression driver, too.

Any further thoughts?

So I guess I must ask: do you think this could have any merit or is a waste of time?

do you think this could have any merit or is a waste of time?

Hi Rick,

An exponential horn of equivalent size is likely to have a better low-frequency performance than a conical horn, due to the more favourable acoustical impedance loading conditions at the throat. Also, the directivity characteristics of a three-sided horn (exponential or conical) could be rather "unpredictable", I suspect.

Are you perhaps in a position to construct a "quick and dirty" prototype, to see how it performs? It would be a good learning experience, either way :).

There don't appear to be too many three-sided conical horns around the place though, which probably tells us something about the design...

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Thanks for the help!

I figure one could build a three sided horn with any flare - the question is how would it sound. Yes, i guess, if I really want to know I am going to have to build it myself.

Within hornresp one does not see a compelling reason to NOT use the conical flare in the 90 to 500 Hz range. All of the "windows" look about the same for both hypex and conical. Of course, I know there is more magic involved in making a good horn than getting a nice response curve with hornresp. But it does point you in the right direction!

I have yet to look at the foam core thread but wonder how a mid bass horn would perform with foam core, even for a simple trial. I could see getting by with it for a high frequency horn but I need to take a look at the thread.

Nonetheless, thanks!