Hornresp

I'm browsing the help to figure how it works, and that is clear, but the help itself is not user friendly...:D Something to do in this part I'm afraid, like direct access to chapter, search, etc...

Hi B.,

All I have tried to do with the Help file is to ensure that every available feature is briefly described, essentially in summary form.

Perhaps someone might like to prepare and post a more comprehensive "Hornresp Filter Wizard Tutorial"... :).

Unfortunately I do not have any information on how to generate proper "Windows type" Help files for Visual Basic 6 programs, and I have not been able to find anything particularly useful via Google. If anyone has this information, and would be prepared to share it with me, I would be most grateful.

Kind regards,

David

@ David McBean

I didn't miss your Post, it's just that i hadn't pressed Calculate :( FW doesn't appear until then.

My sincere gratitude to you for coding these features, & so quickly too :) As i said previously when i was trying to encourage you to include even only a HPF, it would make ALL the difference, & it has & will !

You have gone even further than i had hoped for, & included HP/BP/LP, & also managed to code for both Active & Passive filters in the process !

Never say never, hey ;)

All the best

Attachments

• f.png
    f.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 136
Hi Blo06,
You could open the help file in a text editor or browser and use the search function(ctrl)+(F), or you could make the help file into a document if you prefer. But realize that David does make changes to the file as needed, so you could be spending some time managing the document instead of using/learning Hornresp.

Help File info

HR has a Help File Export function :)

You can Save it as a .txt file & then view it in for eg Notepad. You can then also edit it if you wish and/or convert it to another format such as PDF etc. Presuming you have software to convert to a PDF of course ;)

Here's how from 1 -4 to Save as a .txt file

Attachments

• hrhf.png
    hrhf.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 117
Does this help

Hi Sabbelbacke,

Thanks for the links.

I checked out these pages myself, some time ago, when I first started looking for information on creating a standard Windows-type help file. I had been hoping to be able to compile the file as an integral part of Hornresp, which I understand is possible with VB6. I would prefer not to have to work with HTML if I can avoid it.

After thinking about it some more last night, I realised that I probably wouldn't get around to shifting from the existing Hornresp Help file text-based format anyway, even if I knew how to do it. I find that I am really more interested in the programming side of things, rather than spending precious time documenting how everything is supposed to work :). My current arrangement allows me to edit the help file very quickly indeed.

Kind regards,

David

Hi Blo06,
You could open the help file in a text editor or browser and use the search function(ctrl)+(F), or you could make the help file into a document if you prefer. But realize that David does make changes to the file as needed, so you could be spending some time managing the document instead of using/learning Hornresp.

Yes but there comes a point when good help instructions are far more important than the application.

Currently Hornresp is like a brand new Lamborgini sitting in my drive way... I look at it thinking wow this is truely a beautiful piece of machinery that probably goes like the wind, pity I have no idea how to open the door to get in.

For those that are smart enough to not need instructions, all is fine and well, but as more and more functions are added the further those like me that need comprehensive instructions are left out in the cold.

A picture is worth a thousand words... The biggest hurdle with notepad type instructions is there are no pictures to help explain the situation, this issue is not just one of searching.

Sp please don't discourage David from making a real Help file for those of us sitting on the sidelines waiting to drive our new car.

For those that are smart enough to not need instructions, all is fine and well, but as more and more functions are added the further those like me that need comprehensive instructions are left out in the cold.

Hi Silent Screamer,

As mentioned in an earlier post, all the Hornresp features and functions are identified in the Help file. If something is missing or there is a specific description that doesn't make sense, could you please let me know and I will see what can be done about it.

Kind regards,

David

Hi Silent Screamer,

As mentioned in an earlier post, all the Hornresp features and functions are identified in the Help file. If something is missing or there is a specific description that doesn't make sense, could you please let me know and I will see what can be done about it.

Kind regards,

David

Hi David, for me the problem is not so much the help itself, but how it is presented. Some people are really good at searching the web for information, but I find more times than not trying to look up terms I am not familiar with leads me down the wrong path, or hours of countless dead ends / greater confusion.

For those in the know, they take it for granted when you say something like a this type of horn or that type of horn, they know what you are talking about, but more often then not when you are a real newb or in my case have a pathetic memory, the need for a quick complete refresh of a term or point is critical to being able to read on.

I need to be able to get this info quickly so I dont loose the drift of the passage I was reading. So things like hyperlinks on words that are important make understanding for people like me a god send (provided they dont keep linking to other links like a continuous maze)

I am also a very visual person so while some people can just read a passage and know exactly what it means, I can stare at the page and just see words. On the other hand if there is a good drawing accompanying the text, I can often piece the menaing together using both sources of infomation.

Like I said before some people might be fine with a bit of text that says "put the key in the lock and turn, then lift the door handle". I would be scratching my head thinking which way am I supposed to turn the key?

But some simple illustrations showing the key being rotated to the right, and all of a sudden I now know how to open the door.

I am also a very visual person so while some people can just read a passage and know exactly what it means, I can stare at the page and just see words.

Hi Silent Screamer,

I understand exactly what you are saying - the older I get, the more I realise that we all learn and assimilate information differently.

Unfortunately, for the reasons given in my post #3370, it is unlikely that I will ever get around to producing the kind of documentation I know you would prefer.

Hopefully though, your comments might prompt some further "tutorial activity" by others :).

Kind regards,

David

I find that I am really more interested in the programming side of things, rather than spending precious time documenting how everything is supposed to work :). My current arrangement allows me to edit the help file very quickly indeed.

Kind regards,

David

I am totally grateful of your effort! I started using the filter wizard without reading the help file. That bandpass feature is a thing of beauty!

There are already at least a few different Hornresp tutorials out there.

Simple Tapped Horn Tutorial using Hornresp
Hornresp for Dum... hmm... Everyone ;) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Simple Offset Driver HornResp Tutorial - How to design your own Bass Horn

I've learnt my lesson - the words "it's not going to happen" have now been removed from my vocabulary :).

Kind regards,

David

Hopefully though, your comments might prompt some further "tutorial activity" by others :).

Kind regards,

David

If you provide the ability to add more segments in Hornresp I'll do a screen capture video tutorial (with moving video, not still shots) including narration explaining every single box on the input screen, how to switch input box context, how to input info, how to use Hornresp to design sealed, ported, bandpass, mltl, tl, back loaded horn, front loaded horn, tapped horn, front/rear loaded horn combo, how to find a record, sort, import and export Hornresp files, how to export and open a file in Akabak, show how to use most of the main stuff in the tools menu like the driver arrangement, system design, loudspeaker wizard, show how to get to all the info in the windows menu and the extra tools that are available on some of those windows like the compare captured, max spl, velocity, multiple speakers, etc. I'm no pro at this type of thing, in fact I've never done it before but I'd be willing to do it, provided the right motivation. I'd be willing to do the video first, pending your approval, before you even start working on adding more segments. But...

I know, I know. It's not going to happen.

By the way, nice work on the filters. More segments is now the one and only reason to keep Akabak on my computer. And I still use MJK's worksheets for OB and mltl sims but Hornresp is by far my #1 sim tool and has been for awhile now. It used to be an ensemble cast of several different programs that I use for various things, but Hornresp has clearly become the shining star in the bunch. It's now SO CLOSE to being the only t/s simulator I need.

Last edited:
Help file

Hi David,

ok, It's not going to happen.:D
As I said, help it's not sexy. :mad:

Tks NeoDan and Zero D for the tip, but I was thinking of the people who just begin with HR and feel bad when they hit the help...
In fact to use this help it's better to know the software.
And as Silent Screamer said " the problem is not so much the help itself, but how it is presented."

Perhaps someone will help :) David for this help.
Personally, I don't know about VB.

But my 2 cts anyway : why not putting this help in a PDF file with the install ?
It could be easier to make it looking good and feeling better.
And someone else (than David) could take care of it ?

Regards,

B.

Last edited: