Hornresp

I was playing with HR tonight (very educational pass-time) and looking at various drivers in TL and BLH both with the driver 1/3 if the way down the line/horn. I noticed that with some drivers the active range from cut off to the first reflection was almost impossible to get linear. Usually it was a flattened "U" or "L" shape. IIRC these were all drivers with relatively high fs and Qts.

On a lark I added a throat chamber and lo and behold if I made the constriction of the throat chamber leading into the side of the horn section smaller than Sd (usually about 0.5Sd) that region smoothed out and the ripples above the first reflection were often reduced.

Does this behavior exist in real horns? And here is the question I hate to ask for fear that I won't understand the answer. What is the reason for this behavior?

Presumably if one wanted to do this the driver would have to be mounted basket out. If used only below say 80 or 100Hz would this still sound OK with the driver reversed?

A Word of Warning

Speaking of Hornresp versions, I maintain a publicly available repository just in case.

Hi Dan,

I've said it before and I'll say it again - retaining old versions of Hornresp is hazardous to your health :).

If you do happen to inadvertently open your current Hornresp.dat data file using a superseded version of Hornresp, then you run the very real risk of irretrievably corrupting your data file.

Do what I do, and only keep the latest version of Hornresp. If it's good enough for me, then it should be good enough for you :).

I can't stress this strongly enough!

Don't say you haven't been warned...

Kind regards,

David

Now this is true for the last few updates yes?

Hi Mark,

From Version 19.10 onwards, Hornresp should automatically detect when the format of a data file is more recent than that of the program being used.

To illustrate:

1. A data file originally produced using Hornresp Version 31.10 will generate the following error message if opened using Hornresp Version 19.10.

"Must use Hornresp Version 29.00 or later with current data file."

(Version 29.00 is the last time that the data file format was changed).

2. A data file originally produced using Hornresp Version 31.10 will be corrupted if opened using Hornresp Version 19.00.

To avoid any possibility of data file corruption, I strongly recommend that old versions of Hornresp be deleted.

Kind regards,

David

Hi David,
Are you arbitrarily version locking the .dat file or is going to be good across all versions that share the same data structure? I see now this is already addressed.

You might want to consider an import of the database if you are changing the structure leaving the old version intact. Thus to never irrecoverably hose the DB ever.

If you let me know when you made/make changes to the structure I can group the old versions in folders as a preventative measure. All versions prior to 29.00 have been placed in a separate folder. :)

I also run Hornresp from Dropbox, it has 30 days minimum history of every saved change made to a file. All you have to do is log in to the web interface to revert or download a previous version. Butt covered in triplicate really. You might consider putting the Hornresp development project on Dropbox, it could come in handy or even save your butt.;)

I started saving Hornresp when I found out you were not, sometimes you need to go back. How do you find out where/when an error was introduced without a prior version?

Attachments

• ScreenClip.png
    ScreenClip.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Hi Dan,

All versions prior to 29.00 have been placed in a separate folder.

I see that the oldest version of Hornresp you have is 2840-110427. Because this is later than version 19.10 there should be no data file corruption problems.

How do you find out where/when an error was introduced without a prior version?

All I require for the debugging process is a detailed description of the problem - it does not matter where/when the error was introduced.

I still don't understand why anyone should find it necessary to keep superseded versions of Hornresp... :).

Kind regards,

David

... I still don't understand why anyone should find it necessary to keep superseded versions of Hornresp... :). ...

This is standard practice in the IT industry, born of long and bitter experience. We need the ability to roll back, sometimes more than one version. No matter the reassurances from the vendor, there is no guarantee that a bug fix will not break something else that we rely on. We spend a lot of time and money regression testing to reduce the risk of this happening - and then sometimes it does anyway. I doubt that Hornresp is business critical for any of its users, but hard learned habits are even harder to break... :)

Reactions: 1 user
I have an older version because it works. I tried downloading the latest version taking the precaution of putting it in its own folder totally separate from my working copy. When trying to start it in wine I got the splash and then nothing. No error or crash or anything. My existing version works fine for the most part (crashes if I double click on a horn segment but otherwise does what I need).

This is standard practice in the IT industry, born of long and bitter experience. We need the ability to roll back, sometimes more than one version. No matter the reassurances from the vendor, there is no guarantee that a bug fix will not break something else that we rely on. We spend a lot of time and money regression testing to reduce the risk of this happening - and then sometimes it does anyway. I doubt that Hornresp is business critical for any of its users, but hard learned habits are even harder to break... :)
This practice allows for anyone in a group to take over tasks with little risk. Also when code gets over a certain size, it becomes more difficult to maintain. So additional logs, data passing, and explanations are kept as well.

Not trying to be contrary David and I really appreciate your work. I too plan to get with the program and use the latest version once I get a new computer that is compatible.

I will be getting a new Intel based computer for a virtual organ project as soon as I scare up the funds and I plan to have it triple bootable with Windows 7, Ubuntu and Puppy. Then I will have a native windows machine on which to run the latest versions.