Hornresp

Can't get Rad to work.
"Radius horn flare can not be less than *cm"
It keeps increasing then I try to match the value and often go bonkers with unrealistic values.
Still should that not be "can not be more than" as you can not go above a certain length to match 90* and refer to length instead?
Or simply grey ether area or length out as one is determined by the other, or am I missing something?

Hi more10,

When hitting

I changed my computer’s regional setting to the Swedish number format, entered the Le Cléac'h horn parameter values shown in your screenprint and then selected the System Design With Driver tools menu command. Everything worked fine for me - I do not get the error message you are seeing.

As you can see, the L12 field is not editable:

Because of the way that the Le Cléac'h horn profile is generated, it is not possible to directly specify the L12 value as an input parameter. You may find it easier to use the Horn Segment Wizard to specify a Le Cléac'h design - see attached example screenprint.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• LecWizard.png
    LecWizard.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 228
Yet Another Alternative Horn Curve

Hi David

For an additional option you may want to consider Cornu's spiral. It is a plane curve whose curvature is proportional to its arc length, and whose Cartesian coordinates are given in parametric form by the Fresnel integrals. Also known as a clothoid; Euler's spiral it is similar in form to JMLC’s method of determining horn wall geometry. I suspect that one may well be a parameterization of the other. For details see: Euler's spiral

Regards,

Bill

Hornresp Update 3100-130123

Hi Everyone,

1. Schematic diagram horn profiles are now perfectly symmetrical for all screen resolutions and text size settings. Previously, one-pixel-width "quantisation error" discrepancies could sometimes be seen. The change is purely cosmetic, and the calculated results are not affected in any way.

The attached screenprints show an example of the "old" and "new" profiles. Note the subtle differences - particularly near the throat.

2. The radius horn segment wizard bug reported by David_Web has been fixed.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Old.png
    Old.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 176
  • New.png
    New.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 183
David and others,
could you talk us through what the "shape" of those plots is telling us?
There are some small ripples on the flanks, what do they mean?
There is an asymetry over the peak, what does that mean?
Why does the black have a more pronounced ripple at ~900Hz
What is the difference in the red and the black?
Why the difference in slopes before and after the peak? Red is slow before and fast above, whereas black is fast below and slow above?
Why is the red at zero at both limits whereas the black is zero at low limit and 1 at the high limit? Is it exactly 1? Why 1, what does that mean?