Hornresp

It would be great, if you could add boolean operators to the Find... function.

Hi Oliver,

I am guessing that you must have quite a few records in your Hornresp.dat data file, to make such a request :). Unfortunately, adding AND, OR and NOT operators to the Find tool would require a lot of work. As an alternative - perhaps you could come up with a way of commenting on your different designs in a consistent manner, using standard descriptions to make it a bit easier to track down particular records?

Kind regards,

David

I manage by organising my entries into projects - keeping all related designs together. I implement this by keeping multiple copies of Hornresp, each in its own folder. (Each folder contains its own copy of Hornresp.exe and associated files.) It looks like this:
Code:
Hornresp -+
          +- Tapped Horns 
          +- Ported
          +- CS2344
          +- etc
If I need to transfer a design from one to another, I export it and move the export to the import folder of the destination instance.
This also allows running two or more copies of Hornresp simultaneously. If I'm working on a design and want to refer to another design that isn't in the current database, I can start the copy that does have the design.

Going from one copy to multiples is easy.

- Make as many copies of your hornresp folder as you need. Give the folders appropriate names.

- Each copy is now a clone of the original. Open Hornresp in each one in turn and delete all records that you don't want in that project.

Last edited:
Have not been able to get the memory function in the wizard to listen to me.

Hi Mark,

Pressing keyboard function keys F1 to F4 should enable up to four sets of slider values to be temporarily stored, and pressing keys Ctrl+F1 to Ctrl+F4 should enable those values to then be retrieved. It is not actually necessary to use the Store / Recall buttons provided under the Memory option. The stored slider settings are only retained in memory for the time that the Loudspeaker Wizard is open - they are not saved between sessions (things could get a bit confusing otherwise).

Could you please let me know if the Hornresp Loudspeaker Wizard memory functionality is not working as outlined above. Thanks.

Kind regards,

David

Hi all. I'd like to delve a little deeper into the "multiple speakers" aspect of Hornresp if I may. When posing the question to David previously, about how Hornresp deals with the reactive aspects of multiple drivers when using the Multiple Speakers calculation, I was told (if I recall correctly) that it doesn't. That is, what you see in "Multiple Speakers" is just a factor of ohms law, while taking into account that the mouth area will be increased n times for n additional speakers. In other words, the Multiple Speakers wizard doesn't at all consider how different the response will be as a result of the reactive aspects of adding additional speakers connected to a common feed-point. I suggested to David that this could be solved with something like a "network design wizard" that considers exactly how many speakers are connected to a number of amps in a specific series/parallel configuration. I was told that most likely, no such wizard will ever be implemented.

Having said all of that, I'm curious how you all deal with designing arrays that account for the reactance of the drivers. Do you simply forego the Multiple Speaker calculation and make "one big speaker"? It seems like that would have consequences unto itself. The problem I'm trying to solve, specifically, is that some of my tapped horn designs have really funky response curves when you start seriesing/paralleling multiple drivers, and my concern is that the response could end up being very whacky with multiple speakers connected (i.e. large swings of 6 or 8 db), which I'd never know until after I'd taken the time and expense to build out several of them and measure.

Hi letsbangout,

When posing the question to David previously, about how Hornresp deals with the reactive aspects of multiple drivers when using the Multiple Speakers calculation, I was told (if I recall correctly) that it doesn't. That is, what you see in "Multiple Speakers" is just a factor of ohms law, while taking into account that the mouth area will be increased n times for n additional speakers.

The original question asked in Post #1035 was:

"What exactly is happening "under the hood" in Hornresp when you run a calculation with the Multiple Speakers wizard? It seems to be recalculating based on the new resistance and inductance. But does Hornresp take into consideration the increased physical dimensions associated with multiple speakers, i.e. a larger combined mouth? Does it assume they're stacked vertically, horizontally, etc?"

To which I replied:

"The increased physical dimensions associated with multiple speakers are taken into account by Hornresp. The "larger combined mouth" is assumed to be circular - for this reason the program does not need to know how the speakers are stacked."

In other words, the Multiple Speakers wizard doesn't at all consider how different the response will be as a result of the reactive aspects of adding additional speakers connected to a common feed-point.

Could you please clarify what you mean by "reactive aspects"?

As far as calculating the amplifier load is concerned, the Wizard takes into account the combined complex impedance of the multiple speakers.

Kind regards,

David

What's new David?

Hi Dan,

Nothing of great consequence :). The code associated with hyperbolic-exponential horns has been refined to speed up the calculations of hypex horns having Cir < 1. Because no new feature has been added, the change was not formally advised. You may notice that the Hornresp Product Number tends to change quite often without any announcements being made - I just can't resist tweaking things...

Kind regards,

David