Hornresp

If the file to be imported is placed in the Import directory while Hornresp is running, it may not be visible. Simplest solution is to just restart Hornresp.

Check that - I'm seeing mixed behavior on this - my Windows 7 machine does not mind at all, yet I seem to recall experiencing this with Windows XP. Perhaps a recent update remedied this?

Hi littlemike,

The file to be imported can be placed in the Import directory while Hornresp is running. If the Import Hornresp Record tool has already been opened, the file will not be shown in the list. In that case, simply close the tool and re-open to display the file name.

Imported file records are added to the end of the main Hornresp data file.

There has been no recent update to change the import functionality.

Kind regards,

David

Strange Results ?

@ David McBean

Hi, Re this thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/200196-my-first-th-design.html & tb46's TH design he kindly did for me fane_001.txt

I'm hoping you can shed some light on my trying to establish why i "appear" to see conflicting etc data !

For the 1500W tests i set the Input Parameter - Eg = 109 Volts

For the 100W tests i set the Input Parameter - Eg = 28.28 Volts

For some reason Eg isn't available on the slider ?

My main concern though is, why the design "seems" to be Extemely displacement limited. Considering this a 1500W driver with Xmax of 12.75mm !

TIA

Attachments

• Disp - 100W.gif
    Disp - 100W.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 373
  • Resp 100w.gif
    Resp 100w.gif
    18 KB · Views: 363
  • Pmax-Xmax.gif
    Pmax-Xmax.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 348
  • Resp.gif
    Resp.gif
    19 KB · Views: 364
David,
I have a little hornresp design at http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/195974-mcm-8-55-2421-isobaric-6.html post #60

Any insight would be much appreciated as I have just started playing with Hornresp.

Thanks,
rev.

Hi rev,

You are on the right track as far as specifying a tapped horn design in Hornresp is concerned. Because the results shown appear to have been generated by input parameters different to those given, it is difficult for me to comment further.

My practical speaker-building experience is relatively limited, so I am probably not the best person to be commenting on your design anyway :).

Kind regards,

David

Hi Zero D,

I'm hoping you can shed some light on my trying to establish why i "appear" to see conflicting etc data !
For the 100W tests i set the Input Parameter - Eg = 28.28 Volts

Setting Eg to 28.28 volts means that the power delivered to a pure 8 ohm resistive load will be 100 watts. Because the impedance of a nominal 8 ohm loudspeaker varies considerably across its operating frequency range, the actual input power will vary from the nominal 100 watt value, as the frequency changes.

For some reason Eg isn't available on the slider ?

When the Pmax slider is set to 100 watts the input power is maintained at a constant value across the frequency range, independent of changes in speaker impedance. This means that the value of Eg actually changes to keep the power constant. In this case only the input power is of interest, so the Eg slider is automatically disabled when the Pmax slider is activated.

To summarise the above, in the first case a constant voltage source of 28.28 volts is used, whereas in the second case a constant power source of 100 watts is used. This is why the results are different.

My main concern though is, why the design "seems" to be Extemely displacement limited. Considering this a 1500W driver with Xmax of 12.75mm !

Hornresp assumes linear behaviour at all input voltage levels. No allowance is made for low frequency high power amplitude compression, which may be the actual case in practice.

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Regarding maximum output.

Take a simple look at the drivers resonant peak impedance. Usually 10 to 12 times it's rated impedance. Your amp will be putting 10 to 12 times less power into your driver in this area of it's use. Amplifiers are designed to behave as a voltage source. But they run into problems when the current across the impedance is greater than they can provide.

Always be careful what you trust in terms of speaker marketing! Much smoke and oh so many mirrors.

@ David McBean

Thanks for the concise explanations, it's a lot clearer now :) & i now understand why i was seeing "seemingly" conflicting data. So all is well there ;)

@ Kolbrek

Thanks ;) i realise that though. My concern was wondering why i was seeing such poor results.

@ mwmkravchenko

Indeed, good points :)

Hornresp Update

Hi Everyone,

The maximum permissible S2 value for a Le Cléac'h horn has been increased to 999999.9 sq cm. This means that a fully-formed 180 degree horn with a cutoff frequency down to 18 hertz can now be simulated (see attached screenprints). Even lower cutoff frequencies can be accommodated if the mouth angle is allowed to be less than 180 degrees - which is probably going to be the case regardless, given that a fully-formed 18Hz horn has a maximum diameter of 10.69 metres :).

While it is still only possible to simulate horns with a maximum mouth angle of 180 degrees, extending the foldback of a practical horn beyond that limit is unlikely to make any audible difference to the radiated sound anyway. Construction data for a 360 degree axisymmetric Le Cléac'h horn can however be obtained if necessary by exporting the "exact profile" from the schematic diagram window.

My thanks to witasso for prompting the initial discussion on this matter, and to Jean-Michel and Mark for helping me to clarify my thinking, particularly in relation to Le Cléac'h horns.

The latest Hornresp release is Version 28.80.

Could you please let me know if you find any bugs.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Response.png
    Response.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Schematic.png
    Schematic.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 198
  • Input.png
    Input.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 329
Hi David, I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned any problems with this but the window for Particle Velocity appears around 2/3 size of the main Hornresp window and unresizable.

The graph and controls are partially obscured and I can't alter the window to properly see the results.

I'm running on XP SP3 at 1920x1080 if that's any help!

Hi Chucky,

Hopefully the problem you have been experiencing has been fixed in the latest Hornresp release. Could you please confirm that everything now displays correctly. Product Number 2880-111114 refers.

Kind regards,

David

Hello, David,

Thank you a lot for that.

Here attached a picture of a Le Cléac'h bass horn ("stand" type) that my friend Didier is currently finishing to build.

(BTW, the white horn is a 200Hz Le Cléac'h horn)

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Hi Everyone,

The maximum permissible S2 value for a Le Cléac'h horn has been increased to 999999.9 sq cm. This means that a fully-formed 180 degree horn with a cutoff frequency down to 18 hertz can now be simulated (see attached screenprints). Even lower cutoff frequencies can be accommodated if the mouth angle is allowed to be less than 180 degrees - which is probably going to be the case regardless, given that a fully-formed 18Hz horn has a maximum diameter of 10.69 metres :).

While it is still only possible to simulate horns with a maximum mouth angle of 180 degrees, extending the foldback of a practical horn beyond that limit is unlikely to make any audible difference to the radiated sound anyway. Construction data for a 360 degree axisymmetric Le Cléac'h horn can however be obtained if necessary by exporting the "exact profile" from the schematic diagram window.

My thanks to witasso for prompting the initial discussion on this matter, and to Jean-Michel and Mark for helping me to clarify my thinking, particularly in relation to Le Cléac'h horns.

The latest Hornresp release is Version 28.80.

Could you please let me know if you find any bugs.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• stand_horn_Didier.jpg
    stand_horn_Didier.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 694
Last edited:
Here attached a picture of a Le Cléac'h bass horn ("stand" type) that my friend Didier is currently finishing to build.
(BTW, the white horn is a 200Hz Le Cléac'h horn)

Hi Jean-Michel,

Thanks for posting the picture - an impressive system indeed.

Your "stand" type configuration is a very elegant way of minimising the overall visual impact of the bass horn.

Kind regards,

David

Hi David,

Please disregard the email I sent you, I hadn't seen your reply to this post yet!

The problem has been fixed and everything now displays correctly. Many thanks!!

Chucky

Hi Chucky,

So far so good - what happens though, when you calculate the results for default record number 1, and then select Tools > Impulse > Spectrogram from the SPL Response window? Do you get a fatal error, by any chance? The correct result should look like the attachment below.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Test.png
    Test.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 254