Hornresp

Hornresp Update

Hi Everyone,

The new sampling functionality requested by littlemike has now been added to Hornresp. Simply click on any chart to sample at the selected frequency, drag the red marker line to sweep frequencies, or press the Esc key to exit.

Note that the original Sample tool has not changed. It can still be accessed by either:

1. Selecting the Tools > Sample... menu command.
2. Pressing keys Alt, T and S.
3. Pressing the F3 function key.
4. Double-clicking on the chart window area.

Product Number 2860-110805 refers.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Sample.png
    Sample.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 203
Would it be possible for Hornresp to not automatically move the driver from S3 to S4 on a 5 segment TH?

Hi Dan,

Originally the 4-segment tapped horn had the driver points at S2 and S3, the same as for the 3-segment horn. I was persuaded however to change the 4-segment horn driver points to S2 and S4 some time ago, to give the user more design flexibility.

It was felt by users that having two independent segments between the tapped horn driver points was far more useful from a modelling point of view than having two segments after the mouth driver point. Tests I did at the time tended to support this thinking.

Unfortunately it would now require a considerable amount of work (particularly with the Loudspeaker Wizard) to make the position of the 4-segment drive points optional, and I am not sure how helpful the feature would really be, in the final analysis.

If however you do want to explore this design option, a 3-segment tapped horn design can of course be readily exported to AkAbak, and an extra segment then added at the mouth end.

Kind regards,

David

Ok I have been working with all the new toys. And the ability to setup two concurrent screens.

Wish I had asked about that a long time ago.

So these new toys are most interesting indeed.

What I think is going to happen is that those who pay attention to the correct design parameters are going to make some very good horns.

Thanks again David.

I think I have the smallest bang for the buck 25hz FLH I have ever designed.

So now to get a building.

I have to make six of these.

Four are already sold and one is going to a show.

I'm pretty sure that Hornresp is about to supersede AkaBak for most design considerations.

I say pretty sure because I'm not really a patient AkaBak wizard.

I generally port over a design from Hornresp to do a sanity check.

David I find it very amusing when there are designs posted that use umpteen sections in AkaBak and they are matched with a four segment Hornresp iteration.

This is one powerful little program.

Hi David,

Thank you for providing these latest major additions to Hornresp, they are just great. Particularly, the new sampling functionality is quite handy, and being able to see the changes in particle velocity and sound pressure in the throat under changing power conditions is just incredible.

It would be nice to have the compare feature with the new windows. Have been trying to find bugs, but haven't found any yet.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Hi Everyone,

The new sampling functionality requested by littlemike has now been added to Hornresp. Simply click on any chart to sample at the selected frequency, drag the red marker line to sweep frequencies, or press the Esc key to exit.

Note that the original Sample tool has not changed. It can still be accessed by either:

1. Selecting the Tools > Sample... menu command.
2. Pressing keys Alt, T and S.
3. Pressing the F3 function key.
4. Double-clicking on the chart window area.

Product Number 2860-110805 refers.

Kind regards,

David

Thank you VERY MUCH!

tractrix horn reactance annulling

Hello, I have a question or two about reactance annulling in tractrix horns as simulated in your software. Are we supposed to adjust the rear chamber volume to flatten out the electrical impedance peak? It seems that if I use a value for Vrc that is calculated from one of the existing formulas, like Leach's, the electrical impedance curve still shows a peak, but the low frequency SPL response is really good, whereas if I change Vrc (by making it smaller), the peak goes away but the low frequency SPL response goes down a few dB. If I make the rear chamber larger than the calculated value, above a certain value of Vrc, the low frequency response (-3dB point) is not affected any more but the long cut off curve changes slope. It seems to me that the calculated value for Vrc is about right for the -3dB point, but the electrical impedance peak remains. Why do we worry about the electrical impedance peak in horn loudspeakers anyway? I'm missing some kind of information on that. Also, why can't we just make up a passive RLC notch filter to cancel out the electrical impedance peak?

I've attached two images that show the SPL and electrical impedance curves for a horn where the only difference is the size of Vrc. The dark curves are for a small Vrc and the light ones are for a large Vrc.

Attachments

• 12PE32 60Hz tractrix SPL comparo.JPG
    12PE32 60Hz tractrix SPL comparo.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 12PE32 60Hz tractrix impedance comparo.JPG
    12PE32 60Hz tractrix impedance comparo.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 153