Hornresp

Cheer for McBean

I just wanted to jump in here and say thanks to David, if it's been a while since anyone said that, for all the effort he's put in developing this program and the incredible generosity of providing it free to all the DIY'ers out there.
Just yesterday I discovered that I could get all the numerical data I need to make my current mid/bass horn ( a hyperbolic ) using the 'Export > horn data' option . There it was , the profile for the curved and straight sides, all tabulated and ready to go .

What a hero !!

MJ

Hey Helmuth,

This is a sim of a midbass using a 150Hz Lowther Audiovector Auditorium horn together with a ported 12" Altec 414-8A:
Looks very nice flat Re-vintage. Only you shout reduce LRC to suppress the distortion at higher frequencies.

Just came to the knowledge I stll have my first visaton 10" midbas speaker and can use it for the la scala bashorn. :cool:

Here the result 1PHI ported horn loading down to 75Hz.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2011-02-17 om 23.37.09.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-02-17 om 23.37.09.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
I just wanted to jump in here and say thanks to David, if it's been a while since anyone said that, for all the effort he's put in developing this program and the incredible generosity of providing it free to all the DIY'ers out there.
Just yesterday I discovered that I could get all the numerical data I need to make my current mid/bass horn ( a hyperbolic ) using the 'Export > horn data' option . There it was , the profile for the curved and straight sides, all tabulated and ready to go .

What a hero !!

MJ
Yeah David deserves a statue.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Really a fine programme to use although I do not know all the features already.

David I have a question can I simulate a 1"or 2" horn without knowing the TS-parameters.

Acoustic watts question

Hi David,
Can it be added to the export data? It's interesting and I'd like to explore it's correlation with the other data. PLEASE:D

I have a built a couple bass cabs that Hornresp shows an output peak of ~300 acoustic watts for the pair, yes indeed they are NICE and LOUD.

Now for the strange...
I've recently revisited the design and in the same external form I have gotten an additional 1kw acoustic power peak output for the pair. Now considering I have spec'd much higher quality, larger drivers, 2 drivers per cab this time, and 4x total power I do expect a big increase in output. I did this while keeping the drivers near x-max and the CR is <3 this time around :D

Just wondering what other Hornresp users see in their own models, I'm skeptical to say the least.

Can it be added to the export data?

Hi Dan,

Acoustical output power can be readily determined from the existing exported data.

Acoustical output power = Pin * Efficiency / 100 watts

Simply export the data as a *.csv file, open in Excel, add a new column and enter / copy the above formula for acoustical power.

In Cell O2 the formula should read: = L2 * J2 / 100

Kind regards,

David

Newbie needs help...

Greetings all!

I have to say straight off, that I have not read every page in this thread ....wow.... regretfully, I'm an anal retentive and therefore prefer organization (i.e. an index) to anarchy :rolleyes:

But the number of pages here would seem a tribute in itself to the usefulness of 'Hornresp' and debt owed David J. McBean:cheers:, but at the same time, possibly a reflection of its complexity.

Off topic: would it not be possible to reverse the two parameter input sections and label them according to use; i.e. 'Driver Parameters (T/S)' and 'Loudspeaker (+Sd) Enclosure Parameters'?

Help referred to:

1. Is it not possible to start 'Hornresp' with a blank input page? Once the driver parameters are entered what information will 'Hornresp' provide me with, if any? If yes, how and where do I get it?:confused:

2. Is there a 3 dimensional presentation of an enclosure where S1, S2, …..L12, L23....and possibly the other parameters are indicated in relationship to each other? :xfingers:

3. Why are S2, S3 and S4 repeated in the input page? Where are L12 and L23 located in the input page; ref. Help page?

4.This said, is there not a comprehensive example available that takes one from the driver to inputs and finally showing a complete enclosure in 3 dimensions with all the pertinent parameters indicated?

Thanks in advance for any and all help......arnakke :xfingers:

Thanks in advance for any and all help......arnakke :xfingers:

Hi arnakke,

You might like to check out some of the Hornresp tutorials now available on the Web - simply Google "Hornresp tutorial". As you become more familiar with the program I think you will find that your questions are automatically answered. The layout and labelling of the Input Parameters window is not going to change, however :).

Kind regards,

David