Hornresp

I think that's the issue right there. The driver parameters typically entered into HornResp for modelling are small-signal (e.g. 1W) parameters. The predicted response will therefore likely be more accurate at that level, and become less accurate as the power is increased.

At 28V in, you're basically feeding 100 times as much power into the driver, pushing it way beyond what can be considered its "small-signal" response. Interestingly enough though:- your 28V measurement results might actually be closer to what what the performance might actually be under real-world (PA) conditions. There aren't that many DJs that run their subs @1W :).

I suggest looking into using impedance response testing at low voltage levels (a WT3 can do this for you in seconds) to test the accuracy of build vs the predicted response, then using the 28V measurements to determine what performance would really be like running in a PA environment.

Here are the files you need for HR 2800-101017 non-auto slider version.

I believe this is the last version before the slider updates. Just add a new folder to the HR main folder, and extract these files to it. You should copy your main .dat file, and paste it into the new folder here to move your saved models over. The other bits will be generated once you run the new/old version.

Thanks very much, sir.

Explains quite a bit.

Are you going with a ground plane measurement when you are going this?

As in the microphone on the ground.

Are you tipping the cabinet towards the ground when you are doing this?

And adjusting for the reflected image gain due to the ground boundary reinforcement?

By the way I applaud your testing at proper power levels.

And DJ's should all be set up with limiters and high pass filters locked down.

I tend to create things that I am going to call chimp proof from now on.

That includes removing potentiometer connections and placing a properly sized resister in lieu of.

The chimps get to play with a knob and the system stays alive a little longer.

Hi there. being a Macintosh converted for the past 25 years, I can't use HornResp to build my tapped horn with JBL 2235h with 20Hz Fs.

JBL 2235h specs
Components - 2235H

Could somebody compute the results for me? I am not lazy, not just on the dark side of computers... ;-)

Tapper is constant.
I only need 20Hz to 60Hz as the sub will be used to complement my JBL 4530 in a home environement.
Let me know what I can do to improve ;-) I am a noob in tapped horn.

193Hz.jpg

You should be able to run hornresp in one of the virtual win einvironments on a mac (vmware fusion, parralels, etc.. take a look at Comparison of platform virtual machines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I didn´t try reactos - it´s free, aims on windows-API compatibility and comes as a vmware-machine, which can be run on a vmware player, also free... For Mac, VirtualBox is also free as a virtualizer, all you need is a windows-cd :)

Of course, via bootcamp you can install win itself on the mac, too.

Without the need of a full win-install, WINE might be able to run hornresp under MAC OSX (http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/FAQs)

Ah, just checked on one option... reactos is no full working option for now: hornresp starts up, but can´t calculate... too bad, but this could become interesting in the future since it will enable one to use hornresp without a windows-licence :)

Last edited:
Lee,
you can get much more economical usage from 4' x 8' boards if the 24.5inch depth is changed to 23.9inch and the internal 17inch width is changed to 15.9inch for ~ 9% reduction in external volume.
I have no idea how these proposed changes will impact on performance.

You can get a pair from 3 boards making this a 1.5board design, with a bit to spare.

Last edited:
One thing I have to post is a comment on the response curves posted by JBell.

He has posted I think the only true properly done tapped horn on this forum. THe resulting 12 db/ octave slope is a function of a properly balanced volume of air on the front and back of the driver. It is close to a perfect acoustical impedance match for the driver.

I do this routinely with Front Loaded horns. Below Fc the box rolls off as if it where a sealed enclosure. The 12 db/ octave slope.

To bad I was not awake enough to recognize it at first glance before.

Sorry James. Look first, think second, type third.

If only I could remember the order !

Mr. T

I'm not so sure of how you get a kerf of 0.050 to begin with.

Second. At least over here a plywood panel is 48" x 96". The thinnest blade I have in my shop takes an 0.080 kerf. And I have a great deal of blades over 100 actually.

If you had a good piece of plywood with clean edges you could do a center cut loosing 0.125" in total and be left with 23.937 but that is at hit and miss type of situation. Could work though. I have done that in the past in a pinch.

I have been in cabinetmaking for most of my life.

Thanks guys.

Andrew, you are 100% correct about making the depth under 24" vs 24.5", but as I am using full height (48"), the width matters little as I have some spare on the sides. But usually, I would have cut boards to 23.875" just to make sure they are cut clean.

Anyone know if Hornresp will work on a PC with Vista? I have bought a Toshiba Satellite 300 about two years ago and never used it. I may put back to work for HornResp.

If you look at the below measurement -- you see a 12db/oct roll off for a half octave below 60hz, then a 24db/oct roll off from there on down. Hornresp only predicts a 24db/oct roll off.

mathematically -- do you have an explanation? or would it be possible to have a hornresp addition, where you could optionally choose this response curve where the first half oct is only 12db/oct, and then 24db/oct on down from there? (tapped horn only)

Hi jbell,

Sorry but I don’t have a mathematical explanation for the difference you are seeing between the Hornresp tapped horn predictions and your measurements. The Hornresp tapped horn power response results are identical to those produced by AkAbak so it would seem that the simulation model is reasonable, even after allowing for the following limitations:

1. The driver diaphragm is assumed to be a rigid plane circular piston.
2. No provision is made for horn transmission losses.
3. Behaviour at all input voltage levels is assumed to be linear. No allowance is made for low frequency high power amplitude compression.

Perhaps the observed differences have something to do with the measuring setup, as others have suggested.

I am reluctant to add any feature to Hornresp that arbitrarily modifies the results produced by the standard simulation model.

Kind regards,

David

Hi just a guy,

Having said that, I don't like the new slider behavior at all. When I upgraded to v28.2 last night I couldn't figure out what was going on.

To clarify - are you referring to Version 28.20 or Version 28.30 (the latest release)? If Version 28.30, then I would be very interested to know what specific aspect of the slider operation is causing the problems.

I don't expect my opinion to matter.

Be assured, I value all feedback regarding Hornresp very highly indeed.

Kind regards,

David

Hi just a guy,

To clarify - are you referring to Version 28.20 or Version 28.30 (the latest release)? If Version 28.30, then I would be very interested to know what specific aspect of the slider operation is causing the problems.

Hi sir. I'm referring to 28.20. That was the latest release at the moment I downloaded it.

I'll be happy to comment on 28.30 ASAP, but unfortunately that probably won't be for at least a week. I am still unable to download Hornresp from home due to my dial up connection. You may remember we discussed this before and there was never a resolution. I tried again just now to be sure, it downloaded 295K, said it was done, and when I try to install it gives error message "Zip file is damaged, truncated or has been changed since it was created. If you downloaded this file try downloading again." I'll download 28.30 as soon as I get to a high speed connection and comment on that version.

Be assured, I value all feedback regarding Hornresp very highly indeed.

Kind regards,

David

I know and it's appreciated, probably more than you know. I just want it to be clear that I know who is boss around here. I requested a couple of features awhile back in what I was sure would be recognized as a joking tone and was immediately slammed hard by the patrons of this thread. (Not you though, and FWIW IIRC you said no at the time but the requested changes were eventually incorporated so thanks for that.)

Last edited:
I am still unable to download Hornresp from home due to my dial up connection. You may remember we discussed this before and there was never a resolution.

Although there was never a resolution to the actual issue, you did offer to personally make sure I received updates, an offer so far above and beyond that I could never accept.

(Just had to add this note lest you think I was complaining and therefore the most selfish person in the universe.)