Hornresp

David how difficult would it be to add in different acoustic environmental effects at will? For example a generic transfer function for a car usually rises 12db per octave from 80hz. An in home transfer function for a given room size can vary quite a bit. I guess I'm asking for a user variable filter to reflect acoustic environments. Make things easier when your modeling for certain areas.

Mark

That ties in with the standing request for "active" filters to mainly(for me) check cone excursion when high-passed.
So I guess it's a little harder than to add a simple frequency dependent scaling of the result.
Although you could do that with a spreadsheet by exporting the data from hornresp.

An alternative could be to just import a target function as a curve to model the response close to it. Like the inverse of a room or car. Might be a simpler solution as no change has to be done to the result.

An idea could be to have the result be automatically exported to a temporary .txt file on every calculation. That way a user app could read it and do any manipulation desirable with minimal interaction as you don't have to manually export every time.

David how difficult would it be to add in different acoustic environmental effects at will? For example a generic transfer function for a car usually rises 12db per octave from 80hz. An in home transfer function for a given room size can vary quite a bit. I guess I'm asking for a user variable filter to reflect acoustic environments. Make things easier when your modeling for certain areas.

Mark
@ :superman: David McBean and Mark
^^^+ 1 :D
Would it be possible to have a direct entry box and or slider for the +3dB frequency and a pull down for the rate of gain say of +3,+6,+9,+12 dB per octave?

This would be great for a multitude of uses, for instance I use a generic 30Hz 6dB per octave gain when I model subs for home use.

The other feature I would like to see possibly even more would be a parametric HPF module having varibable Q, roll off rate, and -3dB frequency parameters.

I'll go crawl back under my rock now :tilt:

Thanks for such an awesome design tool:worship:

Well if we don't try you know we are not interested.

So cuz we try so hard means we are very interested.

Even without the bells and whistles Hornresp is one of the most accurate programs in my tool box. Thanks for all your hard work David. without you building horns would be a much tougher job.

Thanks Mark, your kind words are much appreciated :).

I am currently working on changing the area slider scaling arrangements yet again, in an attempt to address the "ease of use" issue raised by David_Web in Post #1473, but without compromising the (seemingly conflicting) requirements of others. If everything goes according to plan an update, hopefully satisfactory to all users, should be released within the next few days.

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Hornresp Version 28.20

Hi Everyone,

If everything goes according to plan an update, hopefully satisfactory to all users, should be released within the next few days.

The Loudspeaker Wizard area sliders have been revised yet again. Changes are:

1. Area sliders are longer auto-ranging. They now have fixed upper and lower limits.

2. The stepping increment or "sensitivity" of an area slider can be changed by pressing the Spacebar key when the slider has the focus.

Could you please let me know if you find any bugs.

Kind regards,

David

Hi david n all friends

at about 1978, i was following to saw this thread by david didn't know. i downloaded hornresp v.0.00 until now 28.20 ...waiting fix bugs. ok now i know the bugs are my friend. a few days+a few days i try to use hornresp, i just find to love this software. hornresp make me very Exciting when i press calculate . i love when the blue line is running..Ooh very Exciting when i was waiting the reason. in my mind..bad or good? david i feel very difficult to get the flat respond frequencygang. ok a good program. david now i've a little problem when i try to simulate w-bin. i don't know how to do. david can i add to be one mouth from two.? and another question now i want to build midbass horn likes the pic but my driver does not good. the qts=0.58 i want to know that it has problem when i in stall?

thanks my david friend /:p
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Thawach,

can i add to be one mouth from two.?

Yes you can. For the purposes of the simulation assume that the horn is not split into two halves, and just use the total cross-sectional area.

and another question now i want to build midbass horn likes the pic but my driver does not good. the qts=0.58 i want to know that it has problem when i in stall?

If the simulation result is not to your liking, then it may be that your driver is not suitable for use in the proposed midbass design.

Kind regards,

David

Getting used to the new slider system. I think it is a good way to do it.

Thanks Mark. Personally, I find the new Spacebar increment adjustment feature to be quite a useful addition. I was hoping to hear back from David_Web at some stage. I would like to know if the revised slider operation now meets his needs also.

Kind regards,

David

The sensitivity change using space bar is neat. Especially when working on large horns.
I like the sliders to be auto ranging "the old way". I have been using the slider directly by clicking and dragging it to where I want it. Now there is too little precision to do that to any larger extent than to get a good initial shape. To refine the response I then clicked on ether side of the slider to fine tune. Now, especially in the left side there is too little room and you have to use the arrow button at times.
"sliders jumping around" was probably the best of both worlds. (IMHO)
I have not tested it enough yet to determine if it is better or worse than looping sliders.
Ill look into it.

I have been thinking. Instead of a slider (which will always have problem with ether precision or range) you could use a "sticky slider" that is changed by dragging the mouse up and down (while the pointer is kept in the same place). Ctrl and Alt could be used to ether step sown to changing 1 from the default 10. Or up to 100.
VVVV uses this to change the value of nodes which I find quite easy to use.
It would leave more place for other UI elements as well.

Also, is there a way for the wizard to remember is S2 and S4 was set to auto or manual so you don't have to change it all the time?

I made a quick patch for VVVV to read exported data from hornresp. I have not looked into adding active crossovers as I'm not familiar with the math required but it should not be too hard to do I think.

I don't know if I would call this a bug or not.

I try to tweek horns in the wizard by referencing my changes against the baseline simulation. When I press the space bar to do the fine adjustments of the horn sections I loose the baseline gray SPL plot. When I press the show baseline box and get a check mark I get the baseline from the change I just did.

Rather frustrating because now I have to remember what was done before and hope I have something better rather than knowing for sure I have something better!

I use the wizard to see how much I can shave off of horn designs in terms of volume lost due to tweeking each sections volume and expansion rate. Everyone wants the smallest horn of course.

Mark

Product Number 2820-101208

Hi mwmkravchenko,

I can't duplicate the baseline behaviour you are pointing out in Post #1496. For me, the gray line seems to just stay where it was when I first entered the wizard. Product Number 2820-101208. What am I missing this time :).

Hi David,

I like the overall changes, particularly that I can turn the Auto feature on and off. I agree with David_Web, that there is too little room on the left side of the slider, forcing the use of the arrow buttons.

Haven't found bugs yet, but I' still looking.

Thanks again.

Regards,