Hornresp

Parbolic Questions

Mr. McBean v28 has been out for a little while now, and I have some questions about when it is best to use the Par calculations instead of the conical.

As there was no new width or starting height input I have been assuming that the Par just calculates a set profile Parabolic dimensioned segment. As the Parabolic oval is a better match for a rectangle it should work out pretty good.

With this in mind is it better to switch over to the Con sections if the horn is running closer to a square at that point of the horn? Or am I totally off on how it works here?

Also do you know if Bjørn has posted/published these calculations anywhere yet, and I have missed it?

Hi Michael,

Any chance we get peak values additionally - or how is rms meant here?

The Sample tool displays the diaphragm displacement as a peak value - it is only the diaphragm velocity and acceleration that are given as rms values. If rms displacement is required, divide the peak value by the square root of 2. Note that all chart results can be exported and manipulated in a spreadsheet if so desired.

You also calculate 2nd harmonics. What accounts that for?
When doing combined response - no harmonics get calculated?

The Sample tool calculates the second-harmonic distortion of a single-segment horn only. Essentially, the higher the sound intensity at the horn throat, the higher the distortion.

Kind regards,

David

Hi David_Web,

Did you change the IR calculation lately?

The impulse response calculations were refined by Jean-Michel during the time he was developing the Hornresp spectrogram algorithms.

I just noticed that the amplitude is a lot closer to what HR simulated than before. The error with bass boost I reported earlier seems to be gone.

Many thanks for this feedback. It would seem from what you say that Jean-Michel's IR changes may have been a step in the right direction :).

Kind regards,

David

Hi soho54,

I have some questions about when it is best to use the Par calculations instead of the conical.

As there was no new width or starting height input I have been assuming that the Par just calculates a set profile Parabolic dimensioned segment. As the Parabolic oval is a better match for a rectangle it should work out pretty good.

With this in mind is it better to switch over to the Con sections if the horn is running closer to a square at that point of the horn?

I am not sure that I understand your question correctly, but in essence it is theoretically more accurate to use a parabolic area expansion rather than a conical area expansion when the horn has two parallel walls and two linearly-tapering walls (similar to the first segment of a Klipschorn bass horn).

In practice, the difference in SPL results using either a parabolic or a conical expansion will be minimal in most cases for a bass horn. The difference in physical volumes however, could be reasonably significant in some situations.

Because Hornresp assumes an axisymmetric (circular cross-section) design, width and height dimensions are not needed when calculating performance results.

Also do you know if Bjørn has posted/published these calculations anywhere yet?

Bjørn has not published his work yet, but he may do so eventually.

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Getting some strange result in the loudspeaker wizard with this one using combined response.

ID=28.00
Ang=2.0 x Pi
Eg=2.83
Rg=0.00
Cir=0.40
S1=400.00
S2=400.00
Exp=100.00
F12=0.00
S2=400.00
S3=1000.00
Exp=40.00
F23=62.71
S3=1000.00
S4=3000.00
Exp=60.00
F34=50.12
S4=0.00
S5=0.00
L45=0.00
F45=0.00
Sd=839.82
Bl=18.66
Cms=1.87E-04
Rms=4.99
Mmd=50.12
Le=0.71
Re=5.00
Nd=1
Vrc=0.00
Lrc=0.00
Ap=0.00
Lpt=0.00
Vtc=10000.00
Atc=840.00
Pmax=100
Xmax=5.0
Comment=NEW RECORD - B&C 15pe40_3 BLH

There seems to be something wrong with displaying Sd here ?

sd_bug.png

Michael

Dear Mr. McBean:
It seems there is another bug in the Compound Horn feature. Using the Mige0 values, the results are improper, with other drivers and parameters the same effect occurs. Any even smallest change in the values S1, S2, L12, S5, S6 or L56 changes drastically the response plot.
The OS is Vista 64-bit.

Attachments

• migue0-bug.gif
    migue0-bug.gif
    48.8 KB · Views: 175
The first dialog selects the number of drivers to drive the horn (speaker), the second selects the number of horns (speakers) (each with the number of drivers specified in the first dialog) used together.

In the terminology of Hornresp, the driver is the driving unit itself, while the speaker is the complete thing, including driver, front and rear chambers, ports, horns etc.

Bjørn