Hornresp

does each driver have it's own chamber/s?
then simulate with just one driver and one/two chamber/s
Use 400W. You will see when you exceed Xmax and you will see the max SPL for these two limits, Xmax and maxP.

Xmax is the usual parameter for maximum unclipped SPL. Xlim is a form a soft compression that avoids hard clipping until you run out of travel and then hard clipping quickly destroys the VC.

I'm not sure what I should input in the Maximum SPL window. My horn has 6 drivers with each driver being 400w rms, 800w program, 13mm xmax, 22mm xlim. Do I use 13 (or 22) x 6?

Hi bubblersound,

As indicated in the Maximum SPL tool description in the Hornresp Help file, Pmax is the driver rated thermal limited electrical input power and Xmax is the driver diaphragm linear mean-to-peak displacement limit. In your example, this means that you should enter Pmax as 400W and Xmax as 13mm (the values for a single driver).

The program automatically takes multiple drivers into account. If you sample your Maximum SPL chart at a power limited frequency, you will see that the total electrical input power to the system is given as 2400 watts (6 x 400W).

I am assuming that you are using Hornresp Version 25.00.

Kind regards,

David

I got it now. Yes, I'm using version 25 on Windows 7. Thank you.
BTW: Sometimes when I press ESC from the spl response window it says "Run-time error '340': Control array element '1' doesn't exist". Then the program closes. Restarts and works fine, not a big deal but just thought you should know.

Last edited:
Hi Ivo,

Not sure if it applies in your case, but with a standard Windows operating environment, the 'multiply by 1000' problem is caused by the user having a non-standard regional number setting specified on their computer.

Kind regards,

David

Well it sounds like a very good start to me. I don't recall specifying the number setting to something unusual, and I don't know whether to specify it in my main linux OS or in Wine. I will try this out. Again, hornresp itself seemed to run fine, in that it runs a simulation and shows a graph without error messages.

Thanks for great software!
Ivo

Hi David_All,
I'm just wanting to know if I'm interpreting SPL scaling with Multiple Speakers correctly. In my design I have 2 dual 4Ω voice coil drivers in one TH cabinet. The coils are wired series parallel for a 4Ω nominal load per cabinet. Then things get interesting when I go to sim multiple cabinets. I want to maintain a 4Ω load at the amp so I simmed 4 cabs as 2Sx2P, 9 cabs=3Sx3P, 16 cabs=4Sx4P. The load at the amp is always 4Ω and what gets me is that driver excursion and SPL stay the same for a given drive voltage no matter how many cabinets I add in any combination. I could wire them 4P=1Ω,2Sx2P=4Ω,4S=16Ω; for vastly different amounts of power given the same drive voltage. Can you help me with the instructions on how to sim multiple cabinets accurately as the SPLin HR appears always as if the cabinets are wired in parallel?

Example all @ 2.83v applied voltage and wired to maintain a 4Ω load at the amp:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sometimes when I press ESC from the spl response window it says "Run-time error '340': Control array element '1' doesn't exist".

Hi bubblersound,

Thanks for the feedback.

Could you please confirm that the error only occurs when the Esc key is pressed immediately after capturing or releasing chart results, and then only when the red "Current results captured" or "Captured results released" message is still being displayed.

If this is the case, then the problem will be fixed with the next release.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Kind regards,

David

The load at the amp is always 4Ω and what gets me is that driver excursion and SPL stay the same for a given drive voltage no matter how many cabinets I add in any combination.

Hi Dan,

Not sure that I understand - the SPLs in your 4 example charts all seem to be different to me. Am I missing something?

Could you please post a copy of your input parameters window so that I can do some further tests. Thanks.

Kind regards,

David

Could you please confirm that the error only occurs when the Esc key is pressed immediately after capturing or releasing chart results, and then only when the red "Current results captured" or "Captured results released" message is still being displayed.
Yes, I've tried it a few times and it's when I hit ESC while the red message is displayed. Thanks David.

Hi Dan,

Not sure that I understand - the SPLs in your 4 example charts all seem to be different to me. Am I missing something?

Could you please post a copy of your input parameters window so that I can do some further tests. Thanks.

Kind regards,

David

I'm sorry David,
I did not explain clearly or correctly,:eek:
The graphs above all present the same 4Ω load to the amp. For a clearer explanation please use the input parameters below:

For this test you will not need to change anything in the input panel, just in multi speaker.

Please do a 4P, 4S, and 2S x 2P in multi speaker, when you compare will find that SPL and excursion for 4S as well as 2S x 2P are wrong, but impedance is correct for all configurations. It appears as all entries in multi speakers are converted to parallel for SPL and displacement. Unfortunately this is would cause a user to believe he could achieve very high SPL with little total power applied to an array.

Another example is Blubbersound's 150dB@60hz target can be accurately simulated by setting voltage to 220v and driver config to 3Sx2P in input panel, then select 4P in multi speaker. As you can see it will take SLIGHTLY more than 4KW to drive the array to 150dB. Thus I conclude that multi speaker module only gives valid results in parallel. Note driver's excursion is good in band :cool:

Yes, I've tried it a few times and it's when I hit ESC while the red message is displayed.

Hi bubblersound,

Thanks for the confirmation, and for bringing this bug to my attention. I would never have found it myself in a million years - it was an extremely subtle one :).

The problem will be fixed in Version 26.00 - hopefully to be released in the next week or so. I am currently working on extending the Tapped Horn Wizard so that the tool can be used with all loudspeaker systems, except for non-conical single-segment horns.

Kind regards,

David