Hornresp

How about a window that shows the combined acoustical and electrical Impedance?

Hi bubblersound,

Not sure that I understand :).

The acoustical impedance is automatically taken into account when calculating the electrical impedance.

To illustrate, the attached screenprints show the electrical impedance for the Hornresp default system radiating into (1) eighth space and (2) free space. As you can see, the electrical impedances for the two situations are quite different, due to the changed acoustical impedance loading conditions.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Eighth_Space.jpg
    Eighth_Space.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 278
  • Free_Space.jpg
    Free_Space.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 273
"The Multiple Speakers tool was originally restricted to single-segment horns - this constraint was relaxed in Version 23.50. The constraint has now been reimposed to avoid the generation of misleading results when large arrays are specified."

Could you explain what was wrong with it?
And how it would effect tapped horns.

Could you explain what was wrong with it?
And how it would effect tapped horns.

Hi David_Web,

Unfortunately the low frequency response of a multiple speaker array made up of multiple-segment horns is understated. See the attached extreme example - the first screenprint shows the result for a large array made up of single segment exponential horns, the second screenprint shows the result for the same array and horns, with each horn now made up of two equal-length exponential segments.

The low-frequency response error progressively reduces as the number of speakers in the array becomes less. The error for an array of several tapped horns would be very small indeed, but I am not prepared to compromise the overall integrity of the Multiple Speakers tool.

Assuming Rg = 0, for all practical purposes two tapped horns connected in parallel radiating into 2 pi space will have the same SPL response as one tapped horn radiating into 1 pi space.

Assuming Rg = 0 in all cases, the following speaker array configurations will all have effectively the same response.

1S x 1P Eg = 1 Ang = 0.5 x Pi
1S x 2P Eg = 1 Ang = 1.0 x Pi
1S x 4P Eg = 1 Ang = 2.0 x Pi
1S x 8P Eg = 1 Ang = 4.0 x Pi
2S x 1P Eg = 2 Ang = 1.0 x Pi
2S x 2P Eg = 2 Ang = 2.0 x Pi
2S x 4P Eg = 2 Ang = 4.0 x Pi
4S x 1P Eg = 4 Ang = 2.0 x Pi
4S x 2P Eg = 4 Ang = 4.0 x Pi
8S x 1P Eg = 8 Ang = 4.0 x Pi

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• One_Segment.jpg
    One_Segment.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 244
  • Two_Segments.jpg
    Two_Segments.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 241
So you're saying the electrical impedance window is simulation of a measured impedance response?

Hi bubblersound,

Yes.

Note that the amplitudes of measured resonance peaks may be a little less than the predicted values due to damping effects not taken into account by the simulation model. The frequency positions of the resonances should be reasonably accurate, though. I have seen a number of electrical impedance simulations provided by Hornresp users that have come remarkably close to actual measured values.

Kind regards,

David

The frequency positions of the resonances should be reasonably accurate, though.

Hi bubblersound,

I found an old predicted versus measured electrical impedance comparison provided by a Hornresp user back in 2005. The value of Le chosen for the simulation appears to be a little low - apart from that, the comparison doesn't look too bad.

At least the resonance peaks are in the right places :).

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Comparison.jpg
    Comparison.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 215
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried running Hornresp on a Windows 7 equipped computer yet? I would be very interested to know if the program still works with the new Microsoft Operating System. Many thanks.

Kind regards,

David

Sorry I didn't even think of mentioning that. I have been using Windows 7 since the beta was released, and have had no issues with Hornresp at all.

Hornresp Update

Hi Everyone,

Three minor changes to Hornresp:

1. Maximum SPL results for multiple-driver systems are now correct.

2. Electrical Impedance sample results now show phase as well as magnitude.

3. Previously, double-clicking on either the Nd label or text box in Edit mode selected Nd, OD, TH or CH. Double-clicking on the Nd text box now activates the Driver Arrangement tool. This revised functionality is not documented in the Help file.

Product Number 2430-091205 refers.

Kind regards,

David

Hornresp Version 24.40

Hi Everyone,

Length, area and volume values can now be entered on the main Input Parameters window using Imperial inch or foot units. Right-click on the relevant parameter label in edit mode to open the Imperial to metric conversion form (see attached example).

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Convert.png
    Convert.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 266
Hornresp Version 25.00

Hi Everyone,

Hornresp Version 25.00 has just been released. Changes are:

1. The Maximum SPL, Combined Response and Multiple Speakers tools can now be used together. All applicable charts (not just the SPL Response) are updated - see attached example.

2. The Multiple Speakers tool can be used with multiple-segment horns. A warning message is displayed when the effective value of Cir exceeds 1 for any horn segment.

3. The F6 function key is now used for Imperial to metric conversions (rather than having to right-click the parameter label, as previously advised).

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Example.png
    Example.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 206