Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hornresp
Hornresp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2018, 12:39 PM   #8451
BP1Fanatic is offline BP1Fanatic  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean View Post
Just to clarify - Chris says in his article that with AkAbak, "there's no limit to the number of parts of the cabinet". The maximum number of network nodes is actually 56. More than enough for most designs, however :-).
I've never used AkAbak.I'm just being patient and waiting for you to add that 5th segment to the TH function.. Don't let me hit the lotto
Old 12th July 2018, 03:19 PM   #8452
thejessman is offline thejessman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean View Post
Hi thejessman,

I suspect that WinISD is showing the rms value rather than the peak value, which would explain part of the difference. The other part is likely to be due a problem identified with the WinISD model some time ago - see post linked below.

Discrepancy between WinISD & HornResponse

I am pretty confident that the Hornresp peak particle velocity calculations are correct :-).

Kind regards,

David
Thanks a lot for responding to my issue. I get what you are saying in regard to the graphs showing RMS vs Peak values and that's something I've wondered about in the past when it comes to WinISD. Unfortunately I've made a lot of design decisions in the past based on what WinISD has reported for port velocity and now I have doubt as to whether I made the right choices or not!!

I think the thing for me to do is to get a hot wire anemometer since they aren't real expensive now, and measure for myself so that I can compare it to simulation. I've been wanting to do this for some time anyway. I'll report back here with what I find.
Old 12th July 2018, 04:38 PM   #8453
the lorn teat flag is offline the lorn teat flag
diyAudio Member

Hi David,

First of all, thank you for this very powerful software !!

When I try to open/load some of my .dat files I got that "run-time error '13': type mismatch".
On some of my databases I have the error and on some other I don't.

I'm using version 46.00 (180705).

Kind regards,
Florent
Old 12th July 2018, 11:30 PM   #8454
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb WinISD - RMS vs Peak values

From their Help File in a previous version, as the latest version hasn't got one yet !

Quote:
Air velocity - front/rear port

Air velocity graph shows how fast air mass travels in port. In order to keep chuffing noise low, you

should limit the peak velocity at 5% of velocity of sound, or about 17 m/s. Like the cone excursion

graph, the desired powerlevel is set also by same watts setting. Note that if air velocity peaks

exceeds previously mentioned level. This graph can also be configured to show RMS, peak or

peak-to-peak value. See the cone excursion graph explanation for RMS, peak and peak-to-peak values.
I've uploaded it as people are often asking for info, that they can find in there You need to right click on it & change the zip to chm as the forum doesn't upload chm help files

For some unknown reason, since i got a new comp with Win8.1 the options in the latest version look funky It was fine on XP
Attached Images
File Type: png Odd.png (11.2 KB, 68 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip winisd - Help.zip (483.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 13th July 2018, 03:58 AM   #8455
thejessman is offline thejessman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero D View Post
From their Help File in a previous version, as the latest version hasn't got one yet !

I've uploaded it as people are often asking for info, that they can find in there You need to right click on it & change the zip to chm as the forum doesn't upload chm help files

For some unknown reason, since i got a new comp with Win8.1 the options in the latest version look funky It was fine on XP
Thanks for the info!

From what you said I checked and it looks like WinISD was set to show the peak port velocity.

I've already ordered a hot-wire anemometer, I guess I'll see what results I get when it gets here.
Old 13th July 2018, 04:49 AM   #8456
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1Fanatic View Post
NeoDan, I'm testing your theory. I rotated the pic to landscape on my phone and this is what happens.
I have no idea what your phone will allow after the photo is taken, I was referring to when you are taking photos. The key is to pay attention and learn to control the camera orientation, you should have a little orientation indicator as pictured below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3333.JPG (596.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 13th July 2018, 05:03 AM   #8457
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This can happen when display scaling is not set to 100%
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenClip.jpg (821.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 13th July 2018, 07:01 AM   #8458
David McBean is offline David McBean  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lorn teat flag View Post
When I try to open/load some of my .dat files I got that "run-time error '13': type mismatch".
Hi Florent,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems. Could you please post a copy of one of the .dat files that generates the error, so that I can investigate. To post the .dat file as an attachment, either place it in a zip file, or change the extension from .dat to .txt. Thanks.

Kind regards,

David
Old 13th July 2018, 07:13 AM   #8459
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejessman View Post
From what you said I checked and it looks like WinISD was set to show the peak port velocity.
That's not part of the reason for the discrepancy then, it seems :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejessman View Post
I've already ordered a hot-wire anemometer, I guess I'll see what results I get when it gets here.
Please let us know what you find.

The reason I am pretty confident that the Hornresp peak particle velocity calculations are correct is because the results are the same as those produced by AkAbak :-).
Old 13th July 2018, 08:02 AM   #8460
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Zero D,

I think the clue is in the Help File statement: "Air velocity graph shows how fast air mass travels in port." In the system 'thejessman' is looking at, the air in the relatively long port tube is not moving as a simple acoustic mass. WinISD is being asked to analyse what is in effect a cylindrical horn, something it was never designed to do.

Kind regards,

David

HornrespHide this!Advertise here!