Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hornresp
Hornresp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 11:30 AM   #8371
mwmkravchenko is offline mwmkravchenko  Canada
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Hornresp
Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean View Post
Hi Mark,

I fear that your memory is starting to go - you must be working too hard :-).

Semi-inductance and frequency-dependent damping options were added to the driver model in Version 43.00, which you definitely saw :-).

Hornresp

Kind regards,

David
I blame to much sun on my little bean.

Yes it is most definitely already done!
And yes I have been working a little bit more as of late. Every time I turn Hornresp on you have another update. So right back at you on the really working hard front. The improvements are significant. Not just simulation aids and tweaks but actual improvements to the quality of the simulations.

So now this leads me to ask if the lossy Le button still has relevance? Or are you incorporating the semi-inductance model throughout all of the Hornresp calculations? I'll be going to China this fall for a few jobs and at one of them I plan on showing off this little program. I'm pretty sure that question will come up. Some pretty sharp tools in that shed.
Old Today, 11:50 AM   #8372
Brian Steele is offline Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
So now this leads me to ask if the lossy Le button still has relevance?
The "lossy Le" option can be of some value when the values of the extra parameters required for the semi-inductance model are not available.
Old Today, 11:58 AM   #8373
Josh Ricci is offline Josh Ricci  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
The "lossy Le" option can be of some value when the values of the extra parameters required for the semi-inductance model are not available.
In other words VERY often.
Old Today, 12:21 PM   #8374
Brian Steele is offline Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Ricci View Post
Well, they should be fairly easy to obtain, if you take the steps to obtain them when doing t/s parameter measurement .

While DATS can't currently measure those parameters directly, it should be possible to export the impedance curves from DATS into REW and use REW to calculate them.

All that's needed are two impedance curves from the same driver, and the ones which will be generated by DATS as part of the t/s parameter measurement process can be used for this purpose.
Old Today, 12:54 PM   #8375
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Hornresp
Quote:
Good answer! Thanks Brian.

I should have thought a little bit more. We are not accustomed to entering the correct parameters for lossy inductance calculation as of yet.
Old Today, 12:55 PM   #8376
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Hornresp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Ricci View Post
Hard to argue when you are right Josh!

Thanks.
Old Today, 12:56 PM   #8377
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Hornresp
Quote:
Well, they should be fairly easy to obtain, if you take the steps to obtain them when doing t/s parameter measurement .

While DATS can't currently measure those parameters directly, it should be possible to export the impedance curves from DATS into REW and use REW to calculate them.

All that's needed are two impedance curves from the same driver, and the ones which will be generated by DATS as part of the t/s parameter measurement process can be used for this purpose.

So now you are making me wonder if an FRD file import could be a new option for the generation of the correct Semi-Inductance model within Hornresp.
Old Today, 02:51 PM   #8378
mashaffer is offline mashaffer  United States
diyAudio Member

I noticed something interesting today. Using the passive filter wizard (sealed and ported boxes) it became clear that if the filter is not set about a decade or more above fs you get a horrible resonant peak in the mid bass region. One of the implications is that it is essentially impossible to use a 2.5 way arrangement for significant bass extension. Saved myself a lot of fiddling.

Unless of course a zobel might help...

HornrespHide this!Advertise here!