Hornresp - Page 72 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2009, 02:56 AM   #711
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

Default Hello David

Has anybody asked for a means to incorporate resistive dampening in a tapped horn ala fibrous batting or the like. I remember a couple of articles away back in the JAES about measured effects of fibrous tangles and sound transmission. If I remember correctly there was a great deal of math several kilometers above my head level.

Mark
Old 20th July 2009, 08:20 AM   #712
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Importing / Exporting Individual designs

Quote:
Originally posted by zobsky
Is there a way to export / import particular designs to a portable format? I've always thought this would be a useful feature, especially for the purpose of presenting various designs on this board for critique.
Hi zobsky,

Most Hornresp users simply post a screenprint of the Input Parameters window when they wish to present a design.

Designs can be exported to AkAbak, but I have no plans to enhance the export feature or to provide an import function.

Kind regards,

David
Old 20th July 2009, 08:35 AM   #713
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Hello David

Quote:
Originally posted by mwmkravchenko
Has anybody asked for a means to incorporate resistive dampening in a tapped horn ala fibrous batting or the like.
Hi Mark,

Try using AkAbak.

Kind regards,

David
Old 20th July 2009, 08:50 PM   #714
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Importing / Exporting Individual designs

Quote:
Originally posted by David McBean

Hi zobsky,

Most Hornresp users simply post a screenprint of the Input Parameters window when they wish to present a design.

David
Thanks, .. that's what I currently do
Old 21st July 2009, 08:38 AM   #715
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Hello David

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mwmkravchenko
Has anybody asked for a means to incorporate resistive dampening in a tapped horn ala fibrous batting or the like.
Try using AkAbak.
klick-e-ree-klick
Old 1st August 2009, 08:10 PM   #716
diyAudio Member

Hey David,

I was playing with the maximum output feature, and I have a feeling it doesn't work quite right.

If I put in 1Watt with a 13mm xmax, the result is far from expected. Everything starts looking strange.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd August 2009, 04:47 AM   #717
fb is offline fb  Australia
diyAudio Member

David, could we please get a slightly higher contrast for the minor SPL divisions in the graphs - It might just be my monitor, but it's a bit hard to see when designing bass horns

Old 2nd August 2009, 07:36 AM   #718
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sumsound
I was playing with the maximum output feature, and I have a feeling it doesn't work quite right.
If I put in 1Watt with a 13mm xmax, the result is far from expected. Everything starts looking strange.
Hi sumsound,

As detailed on page 12 of the Hornresp Help file, the Maximum SPL tool displays the maximum sound pressure level in decibels that can be achieved at 1 metre without exceeding the rated thermal limited electrical input power Pmax or the diaphragm linear mean-to-peak displacement limit Xmax, versus frequency in hertz.

In the example you have quoted the electrical input power is fixed at 1 watt, independent of frequency. You have effectively specified a constant power source - which is quite different to the constant voltage source normally assumed by the program. With a constant voltage source the electrical input power can vary significantly as the load impedance changes with frequency.

To illustrate - with your example try using the Sample tool on your original grey constant voltage source SPL response result to check the value of the electrical input power at 65 hertz. You will find that it is somewhat less than 1 watt.

This is the reason why your response "looks strange". I am pretty sure you will find that the Maximum SPL tool is working correctly :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 2nd August 2009, 07:52 AM   #719
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fb
Could we please get a slightly higher contrast for the minor SPL divisions in the graphs - It might just be my monitor, but it's a bit hard to see when designing bass horns.
Hi fb,

It's either your monitor or the Windows colour scheme you are using :-). As you can see from sumsoundís screenprint above, the minor gridlines are normally quite visible. If all else fails when in doubt the Sample tool can be used to check results at specific frequencies.

Kind regards,

David
Old 2nd August 2009, 09:18 AM   #720
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Hi sumsound,

As detailed on page 12 of the Hornresp Help file, the Maximum SPL tool displays the maximum sound pressure level in decibels that can be achieved at 1 metre without exceeding the rated thermal limited electrical input power Pmax or the diaphragm linear mean-to-peak displacement limit Xmax, versus frequency in hertz.

In the example you have quoted the electrical input power is fixed at 1 watt, independent of frequency. You have effectively specified a constant power source - which is quite different to the constant voltage source normally assumed by the program. With a constant voltage source the electrical input power can vary significantly as the load impedance changes with frequency.

To illustrate - with your example try using the Sample tool on your original grey constant voltage source SPL response result to check the value of the electrical input power at 65 hertz. You will find that it is somewhat less than 1 watt.

This is the reason why your response "looks strange". I am pretty sure you will find that the Maximum SPL tool is working correctly :-).

Kind regards,

David

Duh that makes an awful lot of sense,
Since a speakers impedance changes with frequency.

It would be pretty odd to have an amplifier that delivers constant wattage to any load.

Thanks-

I guess I'll have to read the manual more, is there a way to see what maximum output is for constant voltage, with respect to xmax?

Or will I have to do the math to spot check???

Hide this!Advertise here!