Hornresp - Page 60 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2009, 07:14 AM   #591
diyAudio Member

Default REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE

Hi Everyone,

My existing Hornresp website is to be closed down on 30 September 2009 as part of a product rationalisation plan by my Internet Service Provider. More information can be found at http://bigpond.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...?p_faqid=13457 if required.

I am currently attempting to establish a new site, but I have run into a problem downloading Hornresp from it, over a dial-up connection. The download starts normally enough but prematurely terminates when about 440 KB of the 982 KB Setup.exe file has been saved.

REQUEST:

To enable me to gain a better understanding of the scope of the problem, it would be greatly appreciated if people who have dial-up Internet connections could try downloading the current version of Hornresp from my new website at www.dmcbean.bigblog.com.au and then check to ensure that the Setup file can be opened.

Could you please let me know if your download is successful, and if it is not, could you please tell me the size of the file that is saved. Rather than posting to this discussion thread, if you like you can send me an e-mail at dmcbean@bigpond.com

Note that downloading over a broadband connection seems to work fine. It is only with dial-up connections that the problem arises.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Kind regards,

David
Old 7th June 2009, 10:28 AM   #592
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

maybe a couple of mirror sites could be helpfull? or do you want to keep a single download location?
Old 8th June 2009, 05:24 AM   #593
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Henkjan
maybe a couple of mirror sites could be helpfull? or do you want to keep a single download location?
Hi Henkjan,

I would much prefer to have a single download location, if at all possible.

I have already received the first response to my request for assistance - interestingly, that person has the same problem downloading the Hornresp file as I do.

If enough people report difficulties downloading the file, then hopefully I can convince my Internet Service Provider that there might be a problem in their system somewhere. Obviously, the more responses I can get confirming the problem, the easier it should be to convince my ISP.

If people with dial-up Internet connections still want to be able to download Hornresp after 30 September 2009, then I really need to hear from them now.

Kind regards,

David
Old 9th June 2009, 05:00 PM   #594
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Hornresp Version 22.00

Quote:
Originally posted by David McBean

Could GM in particular please let me know if the new changes have made any difference to the 'Subscript out of range' error, and/or to the virtual memory problem.
Greets!

I installed V22 on 5.31, re-booted and so far I've had no virtual memory or runtime error problems, but I've only had time to do two quick sims and compare them. The rest of the time HR has been minimized in the Taskbar, so don't know if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the much needed impulse response plot changes.

GM
Old 10th June 2009, 06:14 AM   #595
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Hornresp Version 22.00

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
I installed V22 on 5.31, re-booted and so far I've had no virtual memory or runtime error problems, but I've only had time to do two quick sims and compare them.
Hi GM,

Many thanks for the feedback. Things sound reasonably promising so far! Could you please let me know if the runtime error in particular, does occur again. If I don't hear from you, I will assume that "no news is good news" :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 10th June 2009, 06:36 AM   #596
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If people with dial-up Internet connections still want to be able to download Hornresp after 30 September 2009, then I really need to hear from them now.
Hi Everyone,

It seems that Hornresp users don’t have dial-up Internet connections.

I have still only received one response to my request - not enough data to mount a case to present to my ISP.

Meanwhile, the countdown to 30 September continues...

Kind regards,

David
Old 10th June 2009, 08:39 AM   #597
Jmmlc is offline Jmmlc  France
R.I.P.

Hello David,

As you may probably imagine, this is the result of a reasoned choice. The main reason is to avoid large phase values {abs(phase) >>0 } at the lowest frequencies after travel time compensation.

This is based on the fact that at low frequency the phase due to the acoustical load only is rarely outside the range -pi / +pi whatever is the acoustical load.

In the case we have a bandwith at 0 / -6dB ranging in HF then using the second formula results in large phase (absolute) values at low frequency which is unrealistic.

I tried both formulas and the one I finally chosen has a more general appliance.

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Quote:
Hi Jean-Michel,

Thanks for your insights into phase and group delay. There is one thing though that I still don't quite understand:

Your corrected phase is calculated as follows -
for I = 1 : Nfreq;
PUNW(I) = PUNW(I) - Dphase * (FREQ(I) - FREQ(1));
end

Why is it not calculated as -
PUNW(I) = PUNW(I) - (PUNW(Imag1) + Dphase * (FREQ(I) - FREQ(Imag1)));
end

Assuming that in both cases -
Dphase = (PUNW(Imag2) - PUNW(Imag1)) / (FREQ(Imag2) - FREQ(Imag1));

Any further comments would be appreciated.

Me too :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 10th June 2009, 01:11 PM   #598
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Hornresp Version 22.00

Quote:

Many thanks for the feedback. Things sound reasonably promising so far! Could you please let me know if the runtime error in particular, does occur again.
Greets!

You're welcome, thanks for 'bird dogging' it a bit. I used HR for a few more sims yesterday with no apparent problems, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Will do.........

GM
Old 11th June 2009, 05:55 AM   #599
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jmmlc
I tried both formulas and the one I finally chosen has a more general appliance.
Hi Jean-Michel,

Many thanks for the explanation.

I was thinking of possibly using:

PUNW(I) = PUNW(I) - Dphase * FREQ(I);
end

rather than:

PUNW(I) = PUNW(I) - Dphase * (FREQ(I) - FREQ(1));
end

That way, if the mean group delay value was included in the chart title then the original uncorrected phase could be directly calculated by the user, if required, without also having to be aware of the need for a 10 hertz offset.

The result for the example you gave previously would look like the attached.

What do you think - would this be an acceptable compromise?

Kind regards,

David
Attached Images
File Type: gif corrected.gif (26.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 11th June 2009, 06:01 AM   #600
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Hornresp Version 22.00

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
I used HR for a few more sims yesterday with no apparent problems, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Will do.........
Excellent, thanks GM.

Kind regards,

David

Hide this!Advertise here!