Hornresp

That's no different than saying a BP6S is closely related to a BP6P.

Except that neither of those things are an accurate analog for a Paraflex unless you take the BP6P and replace it's reflex resonators with QW or Horn resonators to make a Compound QW or Compound Horn design and then merge the ends of those resonators together to share a single mouth.... So in that regard you could say a Paraflex has aspects of both "P" and "S" simultaneously ....... If it helps to have a BP analog then perhaps much like a BP8 without such a clearly defined 3rd chamber (in most layouts) ..

Based on that turbo analogy, should the CH function in HR be changed from 2 mouths to a single mouth???

Bp1 Fan,
Thanks to Saint McBean that is the purpose of Hornresp's new "PH" modes which allow us to model a Paraflex :D ......Our workaround in the past was to use "TH" mode in conjunction with the Rear Vented Chamber feature to form the second resonator ...

Interesting.

It's All in the Box. 2 18" Subs + "Compound Tapped Horn" Enclosure = LOUD CLEAN BASS! - YouTube

BP1Fan,
Yessir , that is a fun one :happy2:, it is Barnaby Lange's Paraflex build from a couple of years ago ... It was loaded with B&C iPAL 18" drivers ... .......

If you like that build then you should check out Nate Taufer's Paraflex 4x21 (Type "C" CRAM!) loaded with four Eminence NSW6021-6 drivers , it is a whole new level of brutality :eek:

:cheers:

Last edited:
That's no different than saying a BP6S is closely related to a BP6P.

Agreed. I see your stepped versions more often...ease of build because there are no angles to deal with.

This discussion got me thinking about turbocharging.

BP6S = compound turbos = diesel pickup trucks.
BP6P = twin turbos = about every car manufacturer makes a twin turbo V6.

Lol, motor head. youre awesome!

Isn't it easier to export impulse from HR and import it into REW and then view the spectrogram?
In HR: after generating, hit Tools > impuse > Response and [export] button as wav
In REW: File > import > Import impulse response, select exported wav from HR/export folder.

And then open the spectrogram tab in rew.

Easy peasy!

hr-impulse-to-rew-01.jpg

Last edited:
Hi David, I've made a BOXPLAN for the offset-driver, offset vent Hornresp model, but the import doesn't seem to be working. "Fta" isn't changed to "Clo" and the Ql option isn't displayed.

BTW, is there a way to capture the value for Ql in Hornresp's import/export files?

If you'd like to have a look at the BOXPLAN spreadsheet in question, it's BOXPLAN-ODOV at The Subwoofer DIY Page - Horn Folding

Attachments

• 2021-03-31 (5).png
    2021-03-31 (5).png
    143.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 2021-03-31 (4).png
    2021-03-31 (4).png
    17.6 KB · Views: 161
Hi Brian,

I've made a BOXPLAN for the offset-driver, offset vent Hornresp model, but the import doesn't seem to be working.

That's because Hornresp was not expecting to see such a design coming out of BOXPLAN :).

BTW, is there a way to capture the value for Ql in Hornresp's import/export files?

Because it would require a change to the existing file structure and because it only applies to vented-box enclosures, I think I would prefer to stay with the current arrangement where the user can experiment with different values of QL if they like, but that the starting point is always the default value of 7 (which is probably the most realistic number to use anyway).

If you'd like to have a look at the BOXPLAN spreadsheet in question, it's BOXPLAN-ODOV at The Subwoofer DIY Page - Horn Folding

I will check it out over the Easter break.

Kind regards,

David

I will check it out over the Easter break.

The new BOXPLAN offset-driver / offset-vent model will be taken into account in the next update. During the design optimisation process QL will remain at the value specified by the user - it will not be automatically reset to 7 each time F6 is pressed in the Loudspeaker Wizard.

Last edited:
Effect of damping material in the right location (measured in the real-world)

:up: The sad fact though is that between our [lack of] hearing acuity, atmosphere damping over distance, it's fine as is in most prosound apps once high passed, XO'd.

What we are unable to show here in the simulation (unless we swap the resonators in the model maybe) is how we were able to solve the ringing issue by using some damping material in the offset portion of the cabinet's High-Tuned Resonator and that is why USRFobiwan was asking about "filling" or damping in the new horn segments made available in the "PH" modes ..

These measurements below were taken by Patrick Sander (Ballfred1 on DIYaudio) outdoors during a slightly windy day ..... Patrick has been working on this optimization which extends the cabinet's upper bandwidth and it works but damping material is required (at or near the closed end of our angle-brace offset stubs) to keep the cabinet from ringing within that 90hz to 100hz region ... .

Before.png

After.png

Last edited: