Hornresp - Page 55 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2009, 06:19 AM   #541
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM

Bummer. FWIW, it's apparently causing me another, more aggravating, problem since now my machine runs out of virtual memory a lot quicker than normal. I mean, normally I can leave it booted up for weeks before I have to reboot whereas now it's a matter of days, so AFAIK it's HR or MS critical and/or NAV updates that's causing it.

Since the latter two have never caused this particular 'problem' and I haven't installed any other executable programs or seen any new ones in the TASK MANAGER that sneaked in, I don't know what else to attribute it to.

GM
Hi GM,

It is interesting to note that your Hornresp problems only seem to have started after the filter was added to the Find tool, and the record limit was increased to 9999.

As far as running out of virtual memory is concerned, while I am no expert, from your description it sounds like it could be a machine configuration problem.

Does the ‘Subscript out of range’ error occur only when the Find tool is used, or can it be generated at other times as well?

Thanks.

Kind regards,

David
Old 26th May 2009, 01:18 PM   #542
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

True.

No, I occasionally get it same as jogi59 and as I alluded to previously it appears to be all about SAVE, just that I normally am using FIND to trigger a SAVE, but I can sometimes trigger it by clicking ADD and hit BACK to save it.

WRT running out of virtual memory, I haven't opened HR since a reboot several days ago, but have had a NAV update, so to my computer illiterate observation, HR is starting to look like the probable culprit.

GM
Old 27th May 2009, 03:58 AM   #543
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Greets!

True.

No, I occasionally get it same as jogi59 and as I alluded to previously it appears to be all about SAVE, just that I normally am using FIND to trigger a SAVE, but I can sometimes trigger it by clicking ADD and hit BACK to save it.

WRT running out of virtual memory, I haven't opened HR since a reboot several days ago, but have had a NAV update, so to my computer illiterate observation, HR is starting to look like the probable culprit.

GM
Hi GM,

Thanks for this. I will include some further changes in the next update in an attempt to address both the ‘Subscript out of range’ error and the virtual memory problem. I will let everyone know when Version 22.00 is released.

Kind regards,

David
Old 27th May 2009, 04:54 AM   #544
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Hi GM,

When you open the Windows Task Manager and select the 'Processes' tab, what is your Hornresp.exe 'Mem Usage' figure? In my case, the value never exceeds 5,000K, which is really nothing in the grand scheme of things (only 5MB), and is about what I would have expected to see.

Thanks.

Kind regards,

David
Old 27th May 2009, 08:57 AM   #545
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know why Hornresp shows a falling response with a front loaded horn, while Akabak does not?

I took a FLH that I made in Hornresp, exported it to Akabak, and the drooping response was flattened in Akabak.

I have a feeling that Hornresp is correct, as a conical horn should form an acoustic low pass. But Akabak is usually quite accurate...

I checked LE to be sure it was correct, it's the only thing that I could think of...
Old 27th May 2009, 02:14 PM   #546
diyAudio Member

Default Hornresp export to Akabak

David,

I exported a tapped horn design to Akabak.
I notice that the first duct segment has nodes 7 and 8.
Node 7 has nothing attached to it.
Intuitively, this should act as an open-ended duct, but Akabak appears to treat it as a closed end duct. (The horn response is unchanged if I change the node to 0, explicitly closing it.)
So it works OK, but more by default than by design.
More of a nit than a bug...
Old 28th May 2009, 03:57 AM   #547
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Bateman
Does anyone know why Hornresp shows a falling response with a front loaded horn, while Akabak does not?
Hi Patrick Bateman,

Are you comparing the Hornresp constant directivity SPL response to the AkAbak acoustic power response or to the AkAbak acoustic pressure response? Hornresp (resonances not masked) and AkAbak power results should be identical.

AkAbak includes a simple directivity model in the acoustic pressure response calculations which extends the high frequency response. You would need to use the Hornresp directivity tool in that case to get a meaningful comparison (bearing in mind that the Hornresp directivity model is more sophisticated than the one used in AkAbak).

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

David
Old 28th May 2009, 04:19 AM   #548
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Hornresp export to Akabak

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Hills
I exported a tapped horn design to Akabak.
I notice that the first duct segment has nodes 7 and 8.
Node 7 has nothing attached to it.
Hi Don,

What version of Hornresp are you using? A tapped horn design exported from Hornresp (either 3 or 4 segments) should not specify node 7 anywhere.

Segment 1 is specified by nodes 8 and 9
Segment 2 is specified by nodes 9 and 10
Segment 3 is specified by nodes 10 and 11
Segment 4 is specified by nodes 11 and 12

To allow me to investigate further, could you please post a copy of the Hornresp-generated tapped horn AkAbak script showing the use of node 7. Thanks.

Kind regards,

David
Old 28th May 2009, 04:27 AM   #549
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David McBean
In my case, the value never exceeds 5,000K.
Hi GM,

On further testing I find that under worst-case conditions with the Help file open and running the Wavefront Simulator etc, I can get the memory usage up to about 7 MB. Still not much though...

Kind regards,

David
Old 28th May 2009, 11:55 AM   #550
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

OK, I opened HR late last night and it started out at 4192K, did a FIND, ADD, PREVIOUS, SAVE and it's up to 5712k. Another set and it only increases to 5724k. Minimizing it drops it to 1108k. This morning I was greeted with the virtual memory too low error message. Coincidence? Dunno, I'll have to reboot and try again to see how long it takes without opening HR.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!