Hornresp

So far it seems that good high frequency extension seems easiest with very low Q drivers like the Fostex FE206. What is the consensus on what makes for a good midrange driver for horn loading?

'Good' in the mid-range [or any range for that matter] is a compression driver/horn system designed for the intended bandwidth.

Speaker alignments only load to the driver's upper/lower mass corners, so the lower the Qts the wider its Lf [Fl] and Hf [Fh] BWs centered at Fs.

500-5 kHz Fc = [500*5000]^2 = ~1581 Hz
Fp = 500*~0.81 = ~405 Hz, so ideally this is Fs.
Fh = 2*405/5000 = ~0.162 Qes [or Qts depending on who you ask]

In short, likely a custom driver unless you can find an appropriately high Qt sealed back mid-range with a ~1581 Hz Fs [highly doubtful] and at least a usable ~5 kHz BW; otherwise design using multiple small horn drivers or an old tech/vintage mid horn woofer with a stepped frequency response [think lead guitar, originally a mid bass cinema horn driver] where now you only need to load over a narrower BW [higher Qt] to blend into its break-up modes BW ala Altec, et al way back when.

Now you know why Altec, JBL, etc., made/make relatively heavy, expensive 1.4-2" exit compression drivers for this BW and what you ideally need.

GM

Thanks. Not following all of those equations (Fp and so on) but I think I get the basic concept. The Fostex models somewhat well but still pushing the envelope some. What initially got me going on this is that even the expensive 2" compression drivers didn't seem too happy operating under 800Hz so I thought this might be a way to handle that but it seems that cone drivers have an even more difficult time handling that range (mostly on the top end). Perhaps in a home environment the compression drivers would be able to go lower since they will not be pushed so hard.

Multiple direct radiators is another option of course. I think what we are finding is that high efficiency is expensive any way you slice it.

I really appreciate everyone’s patience.

You're welcome!

Can't comment about any current 2" per se, but the vintage 1.4" WE/Lansing/Altec/GPA did /do just fine at 300 Hz/2nd order and their 1" 500 Hz/2nd order, but the horns were/are quite large by most folk's standards. Right, today's drivers have to handle many times more power than way back when, but for typical HIFI/HT apps I imagine the new[er] ones can be derated to go just as low and still have plenty to spare same as the pioneer's, but horn size still has to be just as big unless a Synergy concept is used.

Yeah, high efficiency done right isn't cheap, but for music/cinema lovers, well worth it.

0.162 Qes isn't unheard of, some of Altec's 15" AlNiCos have measured in the 0.15 range and field coils, neodymium can get down to around 0.1 Qes, but for Fostex I'd have to see it before I'd believe it.

GM

It's a great tool if you are designing to a required goal. As an example you generate a perfect horn via Hornresp and you want to make a multiple segment approximation as compact as possible. Some Intelligent sliding in the hands of the determined can get you a rather interesting smaller horn. If you have enough experience as to where to start on a volume reduction it can be rather quick to generate a design that is very optimized for volume efficiency.

I fail to see why the wizard thing would be any different to changing the numbers without a slider.
Have looked at it several times, entering the numbers manually is much faster and easier.
If it's a difficult project to "add up" then pen & paper on the side is a vastly more helpful aid in wrapping ones mind around dimensions and volumes. It can help, at least me, to visualize the panels and measurements to a greater extent.

It is nice that people are different, it would be rather boring if everyone where the same.

I am happy that regardless of differences, we all share this great appreciation, for the wonderful program David has spent so much time honing to such high degree.

So it would be immensely helpful when pasting a driver from the driver database, the name of the driver (or name you have given for the driver) would be displayed somewhere inside the T/S overview on the input screen.

Hi USRFobiwan,

In the next release, each time a driver is pasted from the driver database, the name given by the user to the currently-selected driver will be automatically inserted in front of the existing comment, as shown in the attachment.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 147
I installed the new HR in a new directory Renamed the included Hornresp.dat and copied my old one to the new directory. When launching hornresp it just hung but will start fine with the included (empty) Hornresp.dat

Hi mashaffer,

Your old Hornresp.dat file should have updated automatically. Would it be possible to either post a copy of the file here, or to send me a copy via email? I would be interested in having a look at it, to try to work out what has gone wrong.

Kind regards,

David

I fail to see why the wizard thing would be any different to changing the numbers without a slider.
Have looked at it several times, entering the numbers manually is much faster and easier.
If it's a difficult project to "add up" then pen & paper on the side is a vastly more helpful aid in wrapping ones mind around dimensions and volumes. It can help, at least me, to visualize the panels and measurements to a greater extent.

Hi KaffiMann,

Now I'm confused :). What Hornresp "wizard thing" are you referring, to exactly?

Kind regards,

David

Oh, now I see that you have several. Please excuse my ignorance.

I was thinking about the "Loudspeaker Wizard". And I also see that there is a function to keep length constant when moving another of the sliders, neat. Shame that any change to placement in relation to the chamber makes for a worse response, seems I had found the optimal spot already.
I like having my hands on the keyboard, moving the mouse about takes longer, then there is the thing about moving my hand to and from the mouse after some numpad action... It adds up. tab, shift+tab, alt+tab, numpad, other hot-keys etc. makes me reach for the mouse less often. Probably the main reason I prefer to not use the wizard functions.

Hi mashaffer,

Your old Hornresp.dat file should have updated automatically. Would it be possible to either post a copy of the file here, or to send me a copy via email? I would be interested in having a look at it, to try to work out what has gone wrong.

Kind regards,

David

Thank you David.

Board software says invalid file type so I guess email would be best. Do you want to PM you addy to me?