Hornresp - Page 45 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2009, 08:08 PM   #441
brsanko is offline brsanko  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to brsanko
I wonder if it's an issue with Vista. I don't have this problem on my XP computers
Old 31st March 2009, 12:52 AM   #442
diyAudio Member

Just a shot, but is Hornresp limited to the old 8.3 DOS naming? Maybe his error message just looks blank, but is saying spaces are illegal.
Old 31st March 2009, 06:08 AM   #443
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brsanko
I wonder if it's an issue with Vista. I don't have this problem on my XP computers
Hi brsanko,

Now that is interesting. As far as I know Hornresp works okay with Vista (I only have XP myself), but perhaps there is some incompatibility with the computer that you have your Vista operating system installed on.

Kind regards,

David
Old 31st March 2009, 06:29 AM   #444
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boydon_lepasci
Just a shot, but is Hornresp limited to the old 8.3 DOS naming? Maybe his error message just looks blank, but is saying spaces are illegal.
Hi Boydon,

Hornresp does use the 8.3 format, but it is not possible to enter a blank space as part of the filename.

If more than 8 characters are entered, only the first 8 are used in the filename. This should not generate the error brsanko is seeing.

Kind regards,

David
Old 6th April 2009, 03:30 AM   #445
diyAudio Member

Default Hornresp Version 21.20

Hi Everyone,

Hornresp Version 21.20 has just been released. Directivity polar maps can now be generated using the Tools > Directivity > Polar Map menu.

While Hornresp polar maps are not as accurate as those produced using Boundary Element Method techniques, they nevertheless give a reasonably useful insight into the directivity characteristics of horns and OS waveguides.

Note that moving the mouse pointer over the map area will display the SPL value for a given frequency and off-axis angle. In effect, the polar map shows on the one diagram all the information available from a family of directivity response curves generated at different off-axis angles.

Note also that polar maps for constant directivity devices (conical horns and OS waveguides) take longer to produce than those for other horn types because more calculations are involved.

As always, could you please let me know if you find any bugs in the new release, regardless of how minor they may seem to you. Many thanks.

Kind regards,

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polar.jpg (45.7 KB, 334 views)
Old 6th April 2009, 04:28 AM   #446
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Hornresp Version 21.20

Quote:
Originally posted by David McBean
While Hornresp polar maps are not as accurate as those produced using Boundary Element Method techniques, they nevertheless give a reasonably useful insight into the directivity characteristics of horns and OS waveguides.
Hi Everyone,

Further to my message above, I should have mentioned that a Hornresp polar map takes only minutes to produce, whereas a BEM plot generated to the same resolution takes many hours :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 6th April 2009, 08:41 AM   #447
Jmmlc is offline Jmmlc  France
R.I.P.

Default Re: Re: Hornresp Version 21.20

David,

That's a great step for Hornresp!

Another interesting feature to add to Hornresp should be the exportation of a calculated pulse response.

Thank you a lot for all!

attached 2 polars: one for a FC = 160Hz T = 0.8 Le CLéac'h horn, the second (right) a waveguide of the same overall dimensions.

Best regards from Paris,

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Quote:
Originally posted by David McBean

Hi Everyone,

Further to my message above, I should have mentioned that a Hornresp polar map takes only minutes to produce, whereas a BEM plot generated to the same resolution takes many hours :-).

Kind regards,

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polar_.jpg (48.3 KB, 247 views)
Old 6th April 2009, 10:06 AM   #448
diyAudio Member

Default HELP!!

I consider myself to be fairly bright, but I'm beginning to questions this as I seem to be the only one who cannot make this work no matter how I try...

First, I've read through the help files repeatedly, as well as most of this thread, but I simply cannot get the Tapped horn wizard to appear; the button in the tools menu remains dimmed, and when I double click the "nd" field until it says TH, I receive the error message "Invalid TH Data"...and the "TH" Wizard button remains dimmed...

Also, I'm baffled by the "Parameter calculator"...the tutorial on this site states: "Just double-click on the tab and a calculator will appear that will calculate the mechanical parameters from the T/S-parameters (Fs, Qes, Qms. Vas)." When I do this, I get a box that asks "are you sure that (sd, bl etc.) are correct?" Of course I'm not sure! That's why I need the calculator! Am I misunderstanding what is meant by "tab"? I don't see what I usually think of as a tab in the "input parameters" window, so I assumed the boxes for the t/s values were being refered to...

Sorry if I got a little long winded with my first post to this forum, I just wanted to make my questions clear so that you would have the ammunition to answer them. Thank you for any help and God bless you, Mr. McBean, for providing a software package for free that does what many rather pricey packages do not offer...and do it very, very well, by all accounts!!

Michael
Old 6th April 2009, 11:36 AM   #449
diyAudio Member

To get the tapped horn wizard appear you must have: Put Hornresp in tapped horn mode; Tools -- Driver Arrangement -- Tapped horn.

Either Vrc or Lrc left blank.

Have at least three complete segments (S1, S2, L12, S3, L23, S4, L34).

When these criteria are met you should have acces to the tapped horn wizard.

Quote:
Also, I'm baffled by the "Parameter calculator"...the tutorial on this site states: "Just double-click on the tab and a calculator will appear that will calculate the mechanical parameters from the T/S-parameters (Fs, Qes, Qms. Vas)." When I do this, I get a box that asks "are you sure that (sd, bl etc.) are correct?" Of course I'm not sure! That's why I need the calculator!
Hornresp calculates the other T/S-parameters, you do not know, like the Fs, Vas, Qes, Qms and Qts. All the other parameters you're supposed to know (or calculate those when you double click the input field.

With "tab" a input parameter field is meant. Those are the fields that are highlited each time you press the "tab"-button.

Best regards Johan
Old 6th April 2009, 02:20 PM   #450
diyAudio Member

Directivity (beaming) of diaphragm?
Hornresp don't seem to take this into account.
How does this affect the accuracy of plots with large drivers?
Would there be possible to get a directivity plot of a closed box (extremely short 'horn') out of hornresp? Using 1cm straight guide seems to be OK for lower frequencies (i think) but for HF I'm not sure where the model falls apart.
Or is the plot only meant to show you ripple and other stuff you want to be aware of when designing?

BTW the polar plot is fun to play with. It's so much easier to see and imagine directivity.

Strange peaks in phase and GD when using damping material.
When I use damping in a closed box I get strange peaks.
They appear regardless of damping density.
Also the SPL response at 100-800Hz is altered and is virtually the same regardless of density. It only changes with thickness.
This is with a 15" speaker in a 30L box btw.

Another thing.
I saw another program a while ago that took into account the depth if the cone. With internal resonances and other effects that comes with a real cone not being flat.
Is this a thought about feature for hornresp?
I could only imagine how infinitely more complex things would get.

Hide this!Advertise here!