Hornresp

You're right - I wonder how I thought it was putting the import/export somewhere else? Wishful thinking? I could have sworn I saw it was adjustable... Memory is the second thing to go with age. I forget what the first one was...

Regarding locations, the problem with putting stuff in the root of a drive is the sheer volume of stuff in the root on most modern systems. I like to organise my drives in a tree structure. Other people just stuff everything on the desktop or in "my documents" .
Anyway, thanks again. I've downloaded 24.10 and it works as advertised.

The export function seems to work very well, much easier than a screengrab. I have a question regarding the "ver" variable - the top line in the export file. I am using 24.10, yet the value in my export file is 23.40.

My old designs are also exporting Ver=23.40, so it has nothing to do with the version I was using when the designs were created. Perhaps something is not updating correctly?

Thanks again for all of your efforts on this excellent piece of software.

I have a question regarding the "ver" variable - the top line in the export file. I am using 24.10, yet the value in my export file is 23.40.

Hi littlemike,

I was wondering how long it might take for someone to ask that question :).

By way of explanation, Version 23.40 was the last time that a change was made to the way that data is stored in a Hornresp record. When importing records it is necessary for Hornesp to know this, as the version of Hornresp generating the export file may not necessarily be the same as the version of Hornresp importing the file.

For example, assume that another change is made to the record data at Version 25.00, in which case "Ver=23.40" would become "Ver=25.00" in export files created using Version 25.00.

Case 1 - A record file exported using Version 24.10 and imported using Version 25.00 would need to have the incoming data automatically updated to make it compatible with the changed Version 25.00 format. Hornresp Version 25.00, on seeing "Ver=23.40" rather than "Ver=25.00" in the import file, would know to make the necessary data translations.

Case 2 - A record file exported using Version 25.00 and imported using Version 24.10 would need to trigger the following error message: "Must use Hornresp Version 25.00 or later to import this record." Note that the message is only required when the export and import data formats are different - not necessarily every time that the version of Hornresp creating the export file is more recent than the version of Hornresp importing the exported file. This is why "Ver=23.40" rather than "Ver=24.10" is currently used.

Not sure how well I have explained things, but if you think about the logic of the problem yourself, hopefully it will begin to make sense - particularly why the version number of the most recent data update is used, and not necessarily the current version number.

Perhaps to avoid any confusion I should substitute ID=23.40, Key=23.40, Map=23.40 or Ref=23.40 for Ver=23.40. Any thoughts, or preference?

Nothing in Hornresp is ever quite as simple as it may first seem... :).

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Hi littlemike,

Actually, that makes complete sense.

Excellent :).

Ver has now been changed to ID in the Import / Export file data list, to hopefully make things a little less confusing for users.

Thank you for the explanation (as well as all of your hard work!).

You're welcome - thanks for the thanks, and thanks for raising the "Ver=23.40" issue.

Kind regards,

David

i don't really get how to model ported boxes with hornresp ? let's say i put it a 200 liter box with a length of 60, then i put in a port with 160 cm² area, 7 cm's long, and it the spl response this gives a null around 40hz ?

what am doing wrong here.

edit: nevermind, found the combined response button.

Last edited:
Hornresp Version 24.20

Hi Everyone,

The Calculate Parameter tool can now also be used with Lpt. If a vented rear chamber has been specified, double-click on the Lpt input box in edit mode to allow the required Helmholtz resonance frequency to be entered, and the necessary value for Lpt to be automatically calculated.

If Vrc, Lrc, Ap and Lpt are non-zero, moving the mouse pointer over these parameters displays the vented chamber Helmholtz resonance frequency in the status bar panel at the bottom of the window.

Note that the Lpt port tube lengths calculated by Hornresp and WinISD are identical, provided that the air density and sound velocity values are the same for both programs.

My thanks to "drwoofer" for suggesting the new functionality (via email).

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Wonderful, just tried ito out, thanx for this!

Hi Sabbelbacke,

That's not the reaction I had expected - I thought people would be unhappy when they learnt that Hornresp could no longer simulate arrays of multiple-segment horns :).

Incidentally, the Setup.exe file download problem we discussed via email has proved not to be an issue - it seems that most Hornresp users have broadband Internet connections :).

Kind regards,

David

Some of the fields in the upper half do NOT take the value and the "tapped horn wizard" is greyed all the times.

Hi Telstar,

To enter Con = 8.7 in the L34 input box, press the 'C' key to select Con and then immediately enter the number 8.7. Note that Con reverts to L34 if the length is zero.

A valid tapped horn needs to be specified before the Tapped Horn Wizard tool is enabled.

Hope this helps - please let me know if you still have a problem.

Kind regards,

David