Hornresp - Page 344 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2013, 04:06 AM   #3431
diyAudio Member

That's what I do but it's not fun being locked into having to do that to get the most accurate results possible when you only really need 1 or 2 more segments than Hornresp can provide. A simple Akabak import turns into a huge job.

I had really high hopes for the new tl.app program but it appears to be abandoned so it's probably not a good idea to get too attached.

Last edited by just a guy; 23rd April 2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old 23rd April 2013, 07:12 AM   #3432
diyAudio Member

Hi David_Web,

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Web View Post
Wouldn't realtime update depend on how powerful computer is?
To a degree, yes. The programming language used also plays a part in how fast things are processed.

Quote:
You could have a checkbox (or setting) to enable additional stuff to be shown. That would leave the wizard responsive for slower machines.
I'm not sure how much more time I really want to spend on the wizard - as I said at the outset, filters are of limited interest to me :-).

Quote:
Would it be possible to have the filters enabled(optional) in loudspeaker wizard so that you could design response with crossover in mind?
It could be done, but would complicate the operation of the overall program - highly unlikely this stage :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 28th April 2013, 10:51 AM   #3433
diyAudio Member

Default Hornresp Update 3210-130428

Hi Everyone,

A tool has been added to calculate the air volume in front of the driver diaphragm. This should make things a bit easier when dimensioning throat chambers.

The tool calculates the effective air volume between the driver diaphragm and the front plane of the driver, given the inside diameter of the mounting sealing strip, the inside diameter of the diaphragm suspension, the diameter of the dust cap, the thickness of the sealing strip, the perpendicular distance from the front plane to the edge of the dust cap, and the perpendicular distance from the front plane to the centre of the dust cap.

The Tools menu command is enabled when the input parameters window is in edit mode. The tool can also be selected by double-clicking the Vtc or Atc label or text box in edit mode.

Kind regards,

David
Attached Images
File Type: png Volume.png (36.6 KB, 116 views)
Old 28th April 2013, 11:29 AM   #3434
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

That will save a fair bit of calculation!

Much appreciated David.

Very useful for finessing horns.

Now that I have been playing with it I find it very intuitive.

At first I did not understand the dimension designations. But there is that little blue bar that shows what dimension is active.

I like it!

I like it alot

Last edited by mwmkravchenko; 28th April 2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 28th April 2013, 01:07 PM   #3435
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

quite usefull.
takes the guesing out
Old 28th April 2013, 03:05 PM   #3436
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi David,

Thanks for the Driver Front Volume tool. Another neat addition to Hornresp. :-)

Regards,
Old 28th April 2013, 03:37 PM   #3437
diyAudio Member

David - this is great Thank you!
Old 28th April 2013, 05:30 PM   #3438
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi David,

Thanks, this will really help and save time!!!

One question, is it possible to expand the tool with magnet dimensions so it can compensate for the volume, taken by the driver, at S4?
Old 28th April 2013, 05:38 PM   #3439
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One question, is it possible to expand the tool with magnet dimensions so it can compensate for the volume, taken by the driver, at S4?
+1
Old 28th April 2013, 09:55 PM   #3440
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

David,
thank you for the driver volume tool, and of course the filter tools.
The calculator you have developed seems entirely appropriate when designing for front loaded horns and symmetrical tapped horn designs.

As you are probably aware, we have been playing around with the concept of accounting for the driver volume and the idea of 'cone compensation', and that some builders have reported positive results that seem to be close to the Hornresp simulation.
I wonder what your thoughts were on the technique that was developed for offset horns and conventional (asymmetric) tapped horns. In these horn types the horn path moves across the speaker cone instead of away from it. In these cases the point of interest was the cross sectional area of the speaker diaphragm volume and baffle cutout at S2 and the in the case of tapped horns the corresponding loss in area that occurs at S4 due to the speaker diaphragm magnet and chassis.
The cross sectional area of the speaker and cut out are not accounted for in the sim they are compensated for in the physical layout of the horn path. The areas need to be calculated to achieve this, not the volume.
As such there is nothing that you need to add to your excellent program. I was interested in your opinion.
I attach a example plot of the cross sectional area of a speaker diaphragm and baffle cut out showing the change in volume along the hornpath as it travels across the speaker cone.
Kind regards Martin (Xoc1)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speaker cross sectional area.jpg (114.1 KB, 81 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!