Hornresp

dunno what happened but I had an older version - when opening it today and trying to advance from one record to another, got a '13' runtime error and crash. Same happened when updating to the current version of Hornresp. What might cause it to error and crash ? data corruption ? - Microsoft update ?

MexIBgq.jpg

Last edited:
dunno what happened but I had an older version - when opening it today and trying to advance from one record to another, got a '13' runtime error and crash. Same happened when updating to the current version of Hornresp. What might cause it to error and crash ? data corruption ? - Microsoft update ?

Hi freddi,

From the blank input boxes, I suspect that your Hornresp.dat data file has been corrupted in some way. Unfortunately I have no idea how that could have happened. In all the years that I have been using (and deliberately abusing) Hornresp, not once have I experienced such a problem.

If it is not too much trouble for you, I would be very interested in having a look at your Hornresp.dat file to see if it can give me any clues as to what might have occurred.

Kind regards,

David

Spinrite

@ GM

You don't need to know about DOS etc, as Spinrite does all the techy work for you ;) And as you've discovered, it doesn't cost thousands, or even a $100 :)

I would seriously consider it, if i had Any valuable data to try & retrieve, as i've heard nothing but good things about it over the years !

Well Done Bjørn!

My heartiest congratulations to Bjørn Kolbrek on being awarded his PhD!

The title of Dr Kolbrek's thesis is "Extensions to the Mode Matching Method for Horn Loudspeaker Simulation".

The document is available on-line at http://hdl.handle.net/11250/2415853

While the mathematics contained in the thesis can certainly become quite formidable in places, if nothing else, I strongly recommend having a look at the "Historical Background" section - it makes for very interesting reading.

Once again - congratulations Bjørn on a mighty achievement!

got a '13' runtime error and crash.

Me too when I downloaded a .txt file from a 5.4.2010 forum post and tried to open it. Ditto when I tried again on a re-boot.

It shows up in the 'FIND RECORD', but clicking on it just gets another runtime 13 error, so deleted it from the IMPORT folder and tried again with no luck, so now have two data files that need removing from the'FIND RECORD'.

Note that I do a 'sort' each time I add a file.

GM

Attachments

• runtime error 13 from 5.4.2010 posting.PNG
    runtime error 13 from 5.4.2010 posting.PNG
    58.2 KB · Views: 110
  • anar.txt
    393 bytes · Views: 36
Last edited:
Hi !
I'm back for a request !
Since hornresp is so awesome tweaking cabinet, it should be really interesting if in the wizard, we should move driver parameters while staying "realistic" (i lack of vocabulary to explain), so that moving one parameter moves the others, helping so aiming for a driver parameter set, dialing with parameter to see what is needed. I don't know enough equations to realize if it is mathematically possible. It should work as the large voicoil option, clicking a little box somewhere.
Please please please please please please ^^

I'm still working my way through Bjorn's paper, I'm especially enjoying the history section. I have a feeling I'm going to start not understanding stuff as soon as the history section is done.

Congrats, Bjorn. This is an amazing accomplishment.

One question - when you present your thesis paper, don't you have to defend it? This would require a panel of experts that know even more about this stuff than you do. Where do you find such a panel of people that know more about your original work than you do? Are there a bunch of brilliant horn engineers out there that no one knows about? Because all the horn papers I've seen come from a very limited pool of people, and there don't seem to be that many recent horn papers (within the last couple of decades) or horn experts in the world. So who performs the duty of questioning your thesis and how hard is it to defend (were they even able to ask any tough questions about your original work)?

One question - when you present your thesis paper, don't you have to defend it? This would require a panel of experts that know even more about this stuff than you do. Where do you find such a panel of people that know more about your original work than you do? Are there a bunch of brilliant horn engineers out there that no one knows about? Because all the horn papers I've seen come from a very limited pool of people, and there don't seem to be that many recent horn papers (within the last couple of decades) or horn experts in the world. So who performs the duty of questioning your thesis and how hard is it to defend (were they even able to ask any tough questions about your original work)?

of course, you are right! I didn´t think of this - in Germany we have a "Rigorosum" or "Disputation", I guess it´s common all over the world? Very interesting issue you raise, I am looking forward to Bjoerns answer :)

I'm still working my way through Bjorn's paper, I'm especially enjoying the history section. I have a feeling I'm going to start not understanding stuff as soon as the history section is done.

Hopefully you will understand some of the plots and the summary at the end of each chapter :)

Congrats, Bjorn. This is an amazing accomplishment.

Thanks to you and to everyone who have congratulated me :)

One question - when you present your thesis paper, don't you have to defend it? This would require a panel of experts that know even more about this stuff than you do. Where do you find such a panel of people that know more about your original work than you do? Are there a bunch of brilliant horn engineers out there that no one knows about?

Yes, you have to defend it. In Norway, there is a committee of three people; one committee leader, and two opponents. My opponents were Jean Kergomard, who has worked with the Mode Matching Method since the late 70s, and Delphine Bard, who has a PhD on nonlinearities in horn loudspeakers. They were indeed capable of questioning me, and fortunately I was also able to answer :) The thing is, when you do a PhD, you are supposed to do something novel, so if someone knows more about your original work that you do yourself at the end of the PhD, you have failed :) That doesn't mean that nobody can evaluate your work. But they must be capable of understanding what you have done. Both opponents must have a PhD, and at least one of them must be at the professor level.

Maybe I should change my nick to Dr. Kolbrek now? :p

Bjørn

Me too when I downloaded a .txt file from a 5.4.2010 forum post and tried to open it. Ditto when I tried again on a re-boot.

It shows up in the 'FIND RECORD', but clicking on it just gets another runtime 13 error, so deleted it from the IMPORT folder and tried again with no luck, so now have two data files that need removing from the'FIND RECORD'.

Note that I do a 'sort' each time I add a file.

GM

Hi GM,

Many thanks for this! Imported files should automatically update their formats as required, but when I added the passive radiator option recently I forgot to amend the import update code to take into account the new 'Added Mass' variable. I will fix the problem as soon as I can, but in the meantime I suggest that you do not import any more files - they have the potential to damage your Hornresp.dat file.

I don't think freddi's problem is related, but I cannot be certain any more.

If you care to send me a copy of your Hornresp.dat file, I should be able to fix it for you.

My apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,

David

Hi !
I'm back for a request !
Since hornresp is so awesome tweaking cabinet, it should be really interesting if in the wizard, we should move driver parameters while staying "realistic" (i lack of vocabulary to explain), so that moving one parameter moves the others, helping so aiming for a driver parameter set, dialing with parameter to see what is needed. I don't know enough equations to realize if it is mathematically possible. It should work as the large voicoil option, clicking a little box somewhere.
Please please please please please please ^^

Hi papasteack,

I am not sure that what you are asking for is indeed possible :).

The existing 'System Design From Specifications' tool is probably the best that I can do, unless someone can suggest a better approach.

Kind regards,

David