Hornresp - Page 327 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2013, 12:15 PM   #3261
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

With regard to Jean-Michel's comment, would it be sufficient to be able to specify a passive filter in accordance with the attached network template, with only those components actually required being included?

If so, then a real time 'Filter Wizard' could be quite a nice thing to have... :-).

R = resistor, C =capacitor, L = inductor.

Kind regards,

David
Seems to me that the matrix system shown by sabblebacke would be the most useful.

And as you proposed David it could be configured in just about any manner deemed necessary.

And a wizard section!

Oh my goodness gracious me!

Old 4th April 2013, 12:40 PM   #3262
diyAudio Member

All of you guys are AMAZING with the knowledge and information sharing! I LOVE this site!!!
Old 4th April 2013, 12:49 PM   #3263
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb It's not going to happen !

Maybe it is now

@ David McBean

Jmmlc was the member i was referring to in my earlier post, with regard to someone assisting you to impliment a HPF in HR. As he did with the "Impulse Response" module and the "Spectrogram" module

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean

then a real time 'Filter Wizard' could be quite a nice thing to have...
Which is what i, & others have been saying My hope for including one, was to allieviate excursion issues. Without a HPF the results are not Real World realistic, in that respect !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmmlc

If we limit the choice to a high pass filter
Indeed

I'm not against having other types of filter included, & compensation components etc. But the first & MOST important filter to include is a HPF. In a real system, especially sound systems, & increasingly these days home systems too, we use Active HPF's to protect our drivers. I'm not sure how you could code an Active HPF into HR though, as there would need to be a Virtual High Power Amplifier inbetween the HPF & Driver/s !

So i "guess" it'll have to be a High Power Passive, in some cases kW's ! You could have 2 options, a Low Power HPF that would model the components quite accurately, including losses . A second one that would be Lossless, to simulate an Active Filter before the Amp, which wouldn't effect the response etc as a Passive Filter with actual component losses would.

If whatever Filter/s you are able to include, could be variable via a slider/s =

Thanks for considering the option As i said before, it WILL make a Huge difference, & bridge the gap between Virtual & Real ! An important factor that has been missing !

Regards
Old 4th April 2013, 01:01 PM   #3264
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero D View Post
I'm not sure how you could code an Active HPF into HR though, as there would need to be a Virtual High Power Amplifier inbetween the HPF & Driver/s !
In fact, this is rather simple, since the input-impedance doesn´t get in your way. All that had to be done ist to do the calculus on the input signal, there will be no reaction on the speakers impedance when dealing with active-filtering prior the amp.

But of course, there is more to implementing such a functionality than to look up Butterworth filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and put some equations in

Thanx to david for even thinking about putting something like this in.
Old 4th April 2013, 02:30 PM   #3265
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Post #3255

Hi David,

From my viewpoint that would be wonderful. I've been messing around with series capacitors (e.g.: for sealed boxes) in AkAbak, and a 'Filter Wizard' would make that so easy.

Thank you for taking the time to consider.

Regards,
Old 4th April 2013, 02:41 PM   #3266
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

it would be great the have a hpf included in hr.
tnx david(again )
Old 4th April 2013, 02:49 PM   #3267
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

I like the idea of built in flood control for requested filter type.

The matrix system will allow anybody to setup anything.

Negates a whole bunch of request problems.

I see you have been thinnin about this for quite some time Master McBean.
Old 4th April 2013, 02:56 PM   #3268
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero D View Post
I'm not sure how you could code an Active HPF into HR though, as there would need to be a Virtual High Power Amplifier inbetween the HPF & Driver/s !
Maybe if the impedance could be ignored in favour of a fixed resistance
Old 4th April 2013, 03:11 PM   #3269
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epa View Post
it would be great the have a hpf included in hr.
tnx david(again )
My vote would be to work on implementing an active HPF first, because, let's face it, I think most of us use HornResp to model bass horns, and most of us do so with the intent of using an active HPF at or before the amp to modify the response at the low end and to protect the driver from over-excursion.

These active HPFs can be described in three simple terms:

1. Order (1st, 2nd, etc. - I think most are 2nd or above, as 1st order does not provide enough attenuation for the purpose intended)

2. Crossover Frequency (self-explanatory)

3. "Q" (Butterworth=0.7, LR=0.5, etc.).

Perhaps this could be implemented in HornResp by adding an additional option called "Source" in the LoudSpeaker Wizard's second pull-down menu, and placing "Eg" and the above as adjustable parameters under this selection.
Old 4th April 2013, 05:43 PM   #3270
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
My vote would be to work on implementing an active HPF first, because, let's face it, I think most of us use HornResp to model bass horns, and most of us do so with the intent of using an active HPF at or before the amp to modify the response at the low end and to protect the driver from over-excursion.

These active HPFs can be described in three simple terms:

1. Order (1st, 2nd, etc. - I think most are 2nd or above, as 1st order does not provide enough attenuation for the purpose intended)

2. Crossover Frequency (self-explanatory)

3. "Q" (Butterworth=0.7, LR=0.5, etc.).

Perhaps this could be implemented in HornResp by adding an additional option called "Source" in the LoudSpeaker Wizard's second pull-down menu, and placing "Eg" and the above as adjustable parameters under this selection.
I strongly agree with all this. I don't see any need for passive filters or low pass filters. (That's not to say it wouldn't be nice to have them but by far the most important thing is active high pass filters.) Not that it really matters though, I use Akabak for this, but it would save some time to be able to do it in Hornresp.

Hide this!Advertise here!