Hornresp - Page 324 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2013, 07:08 AM   #3231
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by more10 View Post
I will not ask you to add it to the wish list though :-)
Thank you :-).
Old 27th March 2013, 07:17 AM   #3232
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
Yes, said zero degree...meant zero dB .
Hi AllenB,

I thought that might be the case, so I posted a more detailed description of the change to hopefully clarify things for everyone :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 27th March 2013, 07:49 AM   #3233
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
I found the throat peak particle velocity an important parameter, and it's good to know that it is still maintained in the SPL/sample.
Hi Oliver,

Is being able to sample throat velocity values at specific frequencies sufficient for your purposes, or would it be more helpful to have the complete set of values plotted on a chart, as was done previously?

I would like to gain a better understanding of the relative merits of the various charts we have now tried, and how the data they present can be used in a practical sense. Also, are there perhaps other more useful charts that should be included in Hornresp, either as additions or as optional choices?

To summarise -

Old charts:

Throat sound pressure - how is this information used?
Throat particle velocity - how is this information used?

New charts:

Diaphragm pressure - how is this information used?
Diaphragm velocity - how is this information used?

Other charts:

???????

Comments (by anyone) on how a given chart can assist in the loudspeaker design process, would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

David
Old 27th March 2013, 08:08 AM   #3234
more10 is offline more10  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Velocity for a given frequency along the horn axis would be very helpful to place dampening material. Also velocity for all frequencies given a position along the axis would be helpful in determining which frequencies will be most affected by dampening material at this point.

Diaphragm pressure is useful for estimation of the shear force on the diaphragm.

Throat particle velocity is useful for estimation of compression/depression distortion.
Old 27th March 2013, 08:37 AM   #3235
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by more10 View Post
Velocity for a given frequency along the horn axis would be very helpful to place dampening material. Also velocity for all frequencies given a position along the axis would be helpful in determining which frequencies will be most affected by dampening material at this point.

Diaphragm pressure is useful for estimation of the shear force on the diaphragm.

Throat particle velocity is useful for estimation of compression/depression distortion.
Hi Mårten,

Thanks for your comments. When you say "diaphragm pressure is useful for estimation of the shear force on the diaphragm", would the actual force acting on the diaphragm in newtons perhaps also be a handy chart to have? I assume that the force values could be calculated from Mmd and the diaphragm acceleration?

Kind regards,

David
Old 27th March 2013, 09:20 AM   #3236
diyAudio Member

David

That would be very handy. I have no idea on how to calculate it, the calculation include mechanics. There is pressure on one side of the cone, and the voice coil force on the other side.

I have started another thread on the subject.

There must be someone on the forum educated enough in mechanics to help you out.
Old 27th March 2013, 10:28 AM   #3237
diyAudio Member

Mouth velocity is also useful for determining if the mouth itself will be heard.
Old 27th March 2013, 12:28 PM   #3238
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
Are you going to measure them?
Yes, soon enough. I'm trying to get the rear chamber sized then I'll want to know whether I need a phase plug.
Old 27th March 2013, 02:38 PM   #3239
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Post #3233

Hi David,

I liked the throat particle velocity data as it gives me a quick view at the behaviour of the air not just for a horn, but e.g.: at the inside end of a bass-reflex vent. Particle velocity does not quite align w/ SPL or impedance, so it was nice to have the chart.

But, there are other forum members who use Hornresp to actually build speakers, for me it is just an area of interest and learning, so I'd rather you take input from e.g.: mwmkravchenko, jbell or NEO Dan (I know, there is a long list) than from me.

Regards,
Old 28th March 2013, 11:07 AM   #3240
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@ David McBean

I definately wasn't proposing for you to include multiple filters Just a variable HPF to alleviate excursion. This is what i expect everyone that has requested it would Really appreciate

As i'm sure you realise only too well, taking the virtual design into an actual build, will require a HPF to protect the driver/s. Without being able to simulate designs with an HPF in place, means we are missing a crucial part of the bigger picture

It really would help, & be the icing on the cake

Hide this!Advertise here!