Hornresp

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Just to confirm the requirement, you would like to see a "normalised" group delay chart in the the Filter Wizard tool, with the Y axis having a lower limit of 0 and an upper limit of 1. Is this correct?

I think he would like to see the group delay normalized by period, to give the delay in cycles instead of seconds. From the explanation, it seems like the value desired is (group delay value)*(frequency).

Hi Damien,
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Just to confirm the requirement, you would like to see a "normalised" group delay chart in the the Filter Wizard tool, with the Y axis having a lower limit of 0 and an upper limit of 1. Is this correct?
Kind regards,
David

Will it be christmas ?

Just to be sure, do we agree calling "normalized" the use of GD/(1/fs) as variable of interest instead of GD for Y axis ?
You're right, there's something to get clear about min/max graph limits requirements : In Akabak, i use custom upper and lower limits. I get in horn designs > 5-6 ratio in the 3000-5000hz range. But i think this "normalised" group delay should be the more of interest in the low rang, where it keep even in bad case below a ratio of 2:1. So [0:2] for Y would be adequate for not loosing too much information/subtilitises in the low range, and keep some in the midrange. The must would be clicking on the Y scale, the possibility to switch for a [0:10] scale.
Maybe can i ask cumulative gift for christmas + birthday ^^

I think he would like to see the group delay normalized by period, to give the delay in cycles instead of seconds. From the explanation, it seems like the value desired is (group delay value)*(frequency).
^^ Exactly. I feel stupid complicating things more than what they are...it's of course simplier said like that, and the same as GD / (1/fs).

Last edited:
Hi Damien,

Will it be christmas ?

Because you have been so "well-behaved this year", and are the only person to have reported a Hornresp bug in ages, I think I can hear "Jingle Bells" not too far away :).

Just to be sure, do we agree calling "normalized" the use of GD/(1/fs) as variable of interest instead of GD for Y axis ?

Yes.

So [0:2] for Y would be adequate for not loosing too much information/subtilitises in the low range, and keep some in the midrange. The must would be clicking on the Y scale, the possibility to switch for a [0:10] scale.

I will see what can be done :).

Maybe can i ask cumulative gift for christmas + birthday

"Merry Christmas" and "Happy Birthday" together, you reckon?

I feel stupid complicating things more than what they are...it's of course simplier said like that, and the same as GD / (1/fs).

It was mentioned in the post you linked to - you must have missed it :).

He "normalizes" Group Delay into cycles of delay calculated by dividing the group delay by the period of the frequency at each point (or the frequency times the number of seconds of delay);
UNQUOTE

Kind regards,

David

Nota Bene Revisited

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the kind offer, but at this stage I am hoping that I can survive without access to AkAbak. If I get really desperate though, I can probably arrange a session on a friend's Windows XP computer, if I ask them nicely enough :).

David,

Just think how much more you could do with one of these?

Supermicro | Products | SuperWorkstation | Mid-Tower | 7038A-i

To start the ball rolling, I just need your mailing address.

If we send you the additional parts to finish the system, can you install them?

Regards,

Bill

There are a whole bunch of "if's" But a quick calculation of the import costs makes a person think it might simply be easier to Paypal over some funds and let the man do what he thinks best.

Potential Australian import duty calculation.png

The import duty is prohibitive to say the least. And that is an end user cost. As in the person getting the import.

As a normal person you don't usually see these costs. But when importing products from overseas many countries have these costs. And they are many times hidden in the prices we pay retail.

There are a whole bunch of "if's" But a quick calculation of the import costs makes a person think it might simply be easier to Paypal over some funds and let the man do what he thinks best.

View attachment 535490

The import duty is prohibitive to say the least. And that is an end user cost. As in the person getting the import.

As a normal person you don't usually see these costs. But when importing products from overseas many countries have these costs. And they are many times hidden in the prices we pay retail.

This is not the method of getting a system to David that I had in mind.

As he has not accepted my offer yet, all of this is premature.

Regards,

WHG

Last edited:
Just think how much more you could do with one of these?

Supermicro | Products | SuperWorkstation | Mid-Tower | 7038A-i

Hi Bill,

That is certainly a most impressive system!

I think it is probably safer though if I persist with my trusty Windows 7 Compaq (HP) desktop - I understand how it works, and it does everything that I need :).

(I can always buy a cheap second-hand Windows XP PC if I really want to run AkAbak).

Kind regards,

David

Offer Withdrawn

Hi Bill,

That is certainly a most impressive system!

I think it is probably safer though if I persist with my trusty Windows 7 Compaq (HP) desktop - I understand how it works, and it does everything that I need :).

(I can always buy a cheap second-hand Windows XP PC if I really want to run AkAbak).

Kind regards,

David

Your earlier statements led me to believe that you were working with an antiquated development platform, thus the offer. The system offered is the one I configure for myself and office staff to use. We still use an HP Elitebook in the field, but for the desktop, I find the particular brand offered to be superior in both reliability and performance. To run BE and FE based simulators takes lots of MPU cores to keep process times reasonable.

I assume you are running MS/Win7 64-bit. You could try running AkAbak under the 32-Bit simulator. Demo version of ABEC3 should run on your system without problems as well. The use of a Dongle, now in an USB variant, precludes my use of the full version of this program.

Regards,

Bill

Hornresp Update 3970-160306

Hi Everyone,

The delay per period feature requested by Damien in Post #6072 and further detailed in Post #6076, has now been included in the Filter Wizard tool.

The functionality is documented in the Filter Wizard description included in the Tools Menu section of the Hornresp Help file, and is also provided below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Select the Delay option to display the group delay or group delay per period of the specified passive or active filter and loudspeaker system. Not applicable when the Filter Wizard is selected from the Loudspeaker Wizard, when room gain is included, or when the Passive or Le Cléac'h filter option is selected and Rg is non-zero.

Double-click anywhere on the group delay chart to switch to the group delay per period chart. Double-click anywhere on the group delay per period chart to switch back to the group delay chart.

Double-click anywhere on the group delay per period chart Y-axis vertical scale to switch the chart range from the default 1 cycle to either 2 cycles, 5 cycles, 10 cycles or 20 cycles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 104