Hornresp

Hornresp Update 3970-160220

Hi Everyone,

The bug reported in Post #6052 has now been fixed, along with another three I subsequently found. Under some conditions the area slider Auto settings were not resetting properly (see Attachment 1) under other conditions the schematic diagram was not being displayed correctly (see Attachment 2) and under yet other conditions the schematic diagram was wrongly scaled (see Attachment 3).

Hopefully all the Hypex Approximator "loose ends" have now been tidied up, but if you notice anything that doesn't seem right, could you please let me know.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 283
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 232
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 237
How to edit and save "Driver Front Volume"?

Hello, please excuse if this question has been asked. I could not find it doing a search. I'm trying to learn how to model driver volume and ports such as for a Unity or Synergy horn. In Tools -> Driver Front Volume, I try to change the values but they revert to old values if I go back and look. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Hornresp Update 3970-160228

Hi Everyone,

BUG FIX

The following bug was found by sheer chance. It applies only to Le Cléac'h horn records.

Sequence of events triggering the bug:

1. Select Le Cléac'h horn record.
2. Select Tools > Wavefront Simulator.
3. Select Le Cléac'h Horn option.

Examples of bug:

For the test record shown in Attachment 1, the result shown in Attachment 2 was being generated. For the test record shown in Attachment 3, the result shown in Attachment 4 was being generated.

The problem has now been fixed. The correct result for both test records is shown in Attachment 5.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_5.png
    Attach_5.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Attach_4.png
    Attach_4.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 61
the driver front volume tool just calculates the volume of air trapped between the driver cone and the baffle or horn wall. you then need to transfer the result to the right box on the top screen. The obvious place is the Vtc box, to which the driver front volume contributes.

Thanks nc535, for providing Soldermizer with a nice succinct explanation.

Hornresp Update 3970-160229

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately yesterday's update didn't resolve all the issues.

Sequence of events triggering remaining bug:

1. Select Le Cléac'h horn record - see Attachment 1.
2. Select Tools > Wavefront Simulator.
3. Select Le Cléac'h Horn option - correct result shown, see Attachment 2.
4. Select Current Record option - incorrect result shown, see Attachment 3.

The Le Cléac'h horn current record problem has now been fixed. Attachment 4 shows the correct result.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Attach_4.png
    Attach_4.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 59
Dear David,

I've been well-behaved this year. Even it's not Christmas, could you at least think a little bit about adding delay per period windows as in akabak ? It's such a help to analyse group delay spike significance, trying to tweak to keep things bellow 1:1, and moreover seeing better crossover slope huge phase effect in mid-low range.
I love hornresp.
Thanks,

Damien

Even it's not Christmas, could you at least think a little bit about adding delay per period windows as in akabak ? It's such a help to analyse group delay spike significance, trying to tweak to keep things bellow 1:1, and moreover seeing better crossover slope huge phase effect in mid-low range.

Hi Damien,

Not sure what you mean by "delay per period windows". (Unfortunately I no longer have a computer capable of running AkAbak to allow me to check for myself).

If however you are interested in seeing how the insertion of a filter affects the overall group delay of a system, then this can be done for a standard record by clicking the Calculate button, then selecting the Filter Wizard tool from the Acoustical Power window, and then choosing the Delay option in the tool (after first specifying the filter parameter values). Alternatively, for any standard record in Edit mode, you can insert an active filter using the Tools > Filter menu command before clicking the Calculate button. The effect of the filter on phase and group delay can then be seen in the normal results.

Otherwise, you are going to be out of luck - even at Christmas :).

Kind regards,

David

Nota Bene

Hi Damien,
>snip<
(Unfortunately I no longer have a computer capable of running AkAbak to allow me to check for myself).
>snip<

I can fix this if you like. Maybe others here can chip-in as well.

Hi Sabbelbacke,
I won't be able to rest until Hornresp is completely bug-free!
:).
Kind regards,
David

As you know, this will never happen!

Regards,

Bill

Not sure what you mean by "delay per period windows". (Unfortunately I no longer have a computer capable of running AkAbak to allow me to check for myself).
Just as group delay windows, but with X=(group delay in ms)/ (1/fs in ms)
Why ? It is a lot easier to analyse, wanting to keep this X always bellow for example a value of 1. For example, with a arbitrary limit of X=1, it can be easy to see visually where group delay is more or less than 25ms for 40hz, 12,5ms for 80hz, 6,25hz for 160hz.
This graph is a lot flatter than group delay curve, and show group delay importance relative to frequency. It's a way to approximate the variation of our sensibility to group delay to a more linear visual curve.

Another probably a lot simplier feature that would have the same use, would be to simply add the custom "Z" Gd :1 period curve on the actual group delay windows, with "Z", the wanted threashold, beeing for example 0,5 in the really fast pics below (curve is a bit wrong, but gives a idea). But it would not be as subtil.

If however you are interested in seeing how the insertion of a filter affects the overall group delay of a system, then this can be done for a standard record by clicking the Calculate button, then selecting the Filter Wizard tool
^^ I already use it a lot before converting to Akabak to control multi-segment directivity, and adjust with non-standard filters. It's really awesome ^^
It allow to compare group delay of different kind of box (OD/TH/BP/BR...), taking account filter needed (sub high pass). Playing with it, i choosed not intuitively, long throat BP for low way of a synergy horn as it do not need high pass, and need lower order low pass, and finally make things simplier, with better low end group delay result with the woofer i got.

But changing the crossover frequency, with only group delay curve, it's hard to realise/interpret if the chosen frequency would give better subjective result taking account our frequency dependant sensitivity to group delay.
Using Akabak's group delay per cycle curve, one can choose the crossover frequency to get the lower lower group delay per cycle ratio, taking account our frequency dependent sensitivity to group delay.

Here is where the idea came me from, post 4# : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/71613-educated-me-phase-plot-group-delay.html

EDIT : just added a example done with excel with the same GD graph restricted on 20-400hz because cannot do better without real numbers. It show well that the visual message in not the same anymore. Now the 150hz spike is more a "problem" than the 40hz one. (numbers are a bit wrong since i did it fast, but that's not the subject here)

(doing so much errors by myself, i really need programs to do works for me ^^)

Attachments

• example.png
    example.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 105
  • image3819.png
    image3819.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Unfortunately I no longer have a computer capable of running AkAbak to allow me to check for myself).
I didn't too, so installed a little linux mint, wine, and here it work like a charm. It took me less than a hour for full install.
Now, the problem i have is that with wine on linux, i got decimal problems with hornresp (for example 0,1 become 100, 2x pi become something else too, 200 become 200000), it make hornresp bug, so i play on two computers one for hornresp, one for akabak, and finally it's even better.

Just as group delay windows, but with X=(group delay in ms)/ (1/fs in ms)

Hi Damien,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Just to confirm the requirement, you would like to see a "normalised" group delay chart in the the Filter Wizard tool, with the Y axis having a lower limit of 0 and an upper limit of 1. Is this correct?

Kind regards,

David

Hi Bill,

I can fix this if you like. Maybe others here can chip-in as well.

Thanks for the kind offer, but at this stage I am hoping that I can survive without access to AkAbak. If I get really desperate though, I can probably arrange a session on a friend's Windows XP computer, if I ask them nicely enough :).

As you know, this will never happen!

If I stop adding new features, then perhaps there might be a remote chance :).

Kind regards,

David