Hornresp

No.
10m² = 100000cm² and that is ~ 3.1m by 3.2m
1Mcm² = 100m² = 10m by 10m

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for picking this up.

I copied AllenB's figure of 100,000 cm² without thinking :).

The Hornresp limit of 999999.9 cm² is close enough to 1,000,000 cm² which is why I said that the horn mouth can be up to 10 m x 10 m.

AllenB blamed his "missing zero" on it being Friday afternoon when he posted his message :).

Kind regards,

David

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
AllenB blamed his "missing zero" on it being Friday afternoon when he posted his message :).
Indeed it was, in fact I thought I had succumbed to the square cm vs cm squared notational error. In fact 99,999 (cm²) <-[paranoid now :D j/k] would still near suit me if I made a shared L+R full wall sized horn.

Where the larger mouths have, and will help me is when comparing similar horns of differing frequencies where I want to eliminate ripple from the comparison. I went through a phase of analysing the LeCleach physical parameters against performance/limitations where this was helpful.

This reminds me of a question I have. All LeCleach horns seem to have a common factor that I can only best describe as them having almost the same slope on the beamwidth plot vs angle regardless of all other parameters. The Klugelwellen seems to break free of this. Is this type another name for the spherical horn, is it the answer to changing the beamwidth slope and how does it otherwise compare to the LeCleach?

Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
100,000cm^2 is quite a large mouth
100,000 cm^2 means that the horn mouth can be up to 10 metres x 10 metres square
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for picking this up.

I copied AllenB's figure of 100,000 cm² without thinking :).

The Hornresp limit of 999999.9 cm² is close enough to 1,000,000 cm² which is why I said that the horn mouth can be up to 10 m x 10 m.

Kind regards,

David
This shows the flaw in using too many zeros when writing numbers.

Make use of the multipliers that most of the Members know and understand.
There is nothing to be gained with many zeros in tiny numbers as in 0.00000000000267F where a multiplier makes for much easier typing and reading.
Nor does 10000000mm² help, when 10m² is much easier to read.

BTW, that capacitance was 2p67F if you can find someone to sell you that value.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I agree with you Andrew, and it was how I was trained.

The common ground with hornresp and the area boxes is they use floating variables and expect numerical input, and also given that I usually don't go too far in to the tens of thousands and I probably wouldn't feel comfortable typing 2k55 when I can type 2550 for eg. Current discussion is at the extremes of cross sectional areas.

Good example by the way, not too sure I haven't owned a 2pF capacitor at some point :D

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Sorry David,

A. choose a random record, d/click L12 change to S, change F12 to 200, standard warning L12 > 28.8

B. Change F12 to 180

C. D/click F12 -> Fatal.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 181
  • Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 185
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Glad to do what I can.

Humbly, I was suspecting something with the 'INVALID' string, it's something I've done enough. Not important though.

I've recently discovered that a schematic can be called up before a calculation using CTRL-Z, I updated from a June build and now there is an undo function. Excellent. Now CTRL-Z has been naturally reassigned.

Hi AllenB,

I've recently discovered that a schematic can be called up before a calculation using CTRL-Z,

The feature has been there since Version 5.00 :). It enables the user to do a quick sanity check of a design before commencing calculations.

I updated from a June build and now there is an undo function. Excellent. Now CTRL-Z has been naturally reassigned.

It is now necessary to press keys Alt, T, V consecutively to preview the schematic diagram. The Tools > View Schematic menu command can also be used. Ctrl+Z is the standard Microsoft shortcut for the Undo function, so I thought it made more sense to use it for that purpose (along with Ctrl+Y for the Redo function).

Kind regards,

David

Hornresp Update 3940 -151117

Hi Everyone,

CHANGE

Parts of the code have been refined to reduce the number of arithmetic operations required to simulate a design. The predicted results are the same, but in some cases calculation times may be slightly quicker.

BUG FIXES

For ME1 And ME2 records:

1. The schematic diagrams were sometimes incorrect when selected from the main Input Parameters window.

2. The Loudspeaker Wizard tool menu command was enabled in Edit mode. For the listed record types, it should not be possible to access this tool in Edit mode. Attachment 1 refers.

For BP6, BP8 and ABC records:

1. The Driver Front Volume tool menu command was disabled in Edit mode. For the listed record types, it should be possible to access this tool in Edit mode. Attachment 2 refers.

The above three bugs and the one reported by AllenB in Post #5832 have now been fixed.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 143
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    62 KB · Views: 139