Hornresp - Page 286 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2012, 03:14 AM   #2851
diyAudio Member

That's ok I giving up on it as a bad joke, if you have to read someone elses tutorial in order to get the software to work that just shows how user unfriendly it is. I managed to get better results with Bass Box Pro anyway...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBP Results.jpg (418.7 KB, 87 views)
Old 3rd October 2012, 03:46 AM   #2852
diyAudio Member

Its funny, i see this response alot in these type of situations.

are you aware that you judge as "inferior" the abilities of someone who created an amazing tool and the tool itself as inferior, based on the fact that they couldn't build a tutorial.

One of the things we must be aware of is that some people are task oriented and some are are people oriented.

Judging a task oriented person for not being people oriented shows that you are not aware of the difference, ignorance will be a limitation on your experience in general and more acutely in this area.

i hope you find time to learn hornresp, its an INCREDIBLE tool.

Nice box you simmed, ill have to look into that software, can it sim horns as well?
Old 3rd October 2012, 04:35 AM   #2853
diyAudio Member

I wish it could sim horns... It is a very simple program to use and even gives you material cuts.

From my clicking around, I don't for a moment think HR is anything less than brilliant, but it is akin to having a 1000 channel EQ board and not knowing where the power button is located, because the manufacturer assumes you will know how to turn it on.

Confidence in a program is directly proportional to your ability to use it. I am not the only one that doesn't know how to get started, for instance if it shipped with a few example boxes at least we could reverse engineer it and try make a driver we intend to use fit something that has already been included that is close, but not being able to get the box under several thousand litres is pretty much useless to anyone, because we don't know what the right measurements look like to start with.

The attached picture is a classic reason why the software needs to include extremely clear instructions. In the tutorial it appears to calculate the compression ratio based on S2, yet when you hover over S1 in the app it appears that it is using S1 as the means to calucate it, when you hover over S2 in the app nothing to do with compression comes up.

So now I am faced with the delima of knowing to trust a self proclaimed novice, or the person who wrote the software, of course I naturally trust the person who wrote the software, but logic also tells me that calculating it off S1 is wrong.

Common sense would dictate that if I am working out a ratio of an angled board I would use the S2 mid point because the high and low either side would even out... but what do I know I dont even understand why I am calculating in the first place so now I am well and truely confused who to trust and what value to put in there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Confused.jpg (183.5 KB, 81 views)
Old 3rd October 2012, 05:29 AM   #2854
diyAudio Member

Your problem is that you are calculating a front loaded horn, where the driver is attached at S1. You need to tell Hornresp that you want a tapped horn, where the driver is attached at S2 and S3. The help tells you how to do this (on page 20, note 8 in my version of HR). When you do this, hovering over S2 gives the compression ratio.

A sample is attached:
Attached Images
File Type: png SilentScreamer Pro-5100.png (22.1 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by Don Hills; 3rd October 2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old 3rd October 2012, 05:47 AM   #2855
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hills View Post
The help tells you how to do this (on page 20, note 8 in my version of HR).
Sorry where do I find this i.e. a thread you have started?

Edit:
Found it at the very bottom of the help file (not sure what it was talking about after that..)

Last edited by Silent Screamer; 3rd October 2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 3rd October 2012, 06:19 AM   #2856
diyAudio Member

Having a bit of success down to 280 litres. Not sure if the other parameters looks right as I don't know what I'm look at, but I am making progress and that is something... feeling slightly less frustrated now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Getting there.jpg (171.6 KB, 70 views)
Old 3rd October 2012, 06:22 AM   #2857
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Ricci built TH's for the 5100 IIRC, and WiSounds thought about it before he figured 4 TC Epic 10's were better...
Old 3rd October 2012, 06:27 AM   #2858
Kolbrek is offline Kolbrek  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Screamer View Post
I treid using 0.5 but still facing 2700 litres which is not practical.
If I set Ang to 0.5, and run "System design with driver", setting the frequency limits to 40Hz and 200Hz, I end up with a total volume of 532 litres. Perhaps you forgot to set the lower frequency to 40Hz? Because using the default values gives you a 2700 litres box.

As you understand, if you want low bass with a horn, they get BIG. But the beauty of a simulation program like Hornresp is that you can truncate the horn and see the effect on the response. And then see if you are willing to accept the compromise (also keep in mind that room modes make the low frequency response very uneven and location dependent).

Once you learn how to use Hornresp, it is very quick to set up a simulation there. But the learning curve can be a little steep, like it can be with many sophisitcated programs. If you accept that, you have at your hands a program that can do things very few other programs can do. And for tapped horns, the only other available program that can simulate them (that I know of) is AkAbak, where you have to enter a script in a text editor.

-Bjørn
Old 3rd October 2012, 06:32 AM   #2859
diyAudio Member

Actually I plan to use the two 5100 as bass drivers in OB, I plan on buying another two Ultra 5400's for subs, but needed to work out if the 5400 were the right choice over the 5100's in TH cabinets.

As per the Bass Box pic with both the 5100 and 5400, I should be able to get the 5400 to go lower in TH now.
Old 3rd October 2012, 06:38 AM   #2860
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

The LMS-U is always better till you bottom it

Hide this!Advertise here!