Hornresp - Page 278 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2012, 12:39 PM   #2771
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

I'll give it a try. More than once I thought that function could be useful.

Thanks David.
Old 18th August 2012, 08:29 PM   #2772
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

you type in a a few nown letters/numbers.
that might narrow it down,that is, if you had put it in the first place,
for instance if if know the driver i could put in " 18nlw"and i get all eighteen sound neodinium 18"drivers.
Old 19th August 2012, 07:01 AM   #2773
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
I manage to muddle through, and find what I'm looking for.
Hi Oliver,

I assume you are using the Filter function associated with the Find tool, to reduce the number of records to search?

Just thought I should check :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 19th August 2012, 04:08 PM   #2774
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi David,

Yes, sometimes the filter comes in handy.

Regards,
Old 26th August 2012, 02:09 PM   #2775
diyAudio Member

Hi all. I'd like to delve a little deeper into the "multiple speakers" aspect of Hornresp if I may. When posing the question to David previously, about how Hornresp deals with the reactive aspects of multiple drivers when using the Multiple Speakers calculation, I was told (if I recall correctly) that it doesn't. That is, what you see in "Multiple Speakers" is just a factor of ohms law, while taking into account that the mouth area will be increased n times for n additional speakers. In other words, the Multiple Speakers wizard doesn't at all consider how different the response will be as a result of the reactive aspects of adding additional speakers connected to a common feed-point. I suggested to David that this could be solved with something like a "network design wizard" that considers exactly how many speakers are connected to a number of amps in a specific series/parallel configuration. I was told that most likely, no such wizard will ever be implemented.

Having said all of that, I'm curious how you all deal with designing arrays that account for the reactance of the drivers. Do you simply forego the Multiple Speaker calculation and make "one big speaker"? It seems like that would have consequences unto itself. The problem I'm trying to solve, specifically, is that some of my tapped horn designs have really funky response curves when you start seriesing/paralleling multiple drivers, and my concern is that the response could end up being very whacky with multiple speakers connected (i.e. large swings of 6 or 8 db), which I'd never know until after I'd taken the time and expense to build out several of them and measure.
Old 26th August 2012, 02:38 PM   #2776
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

You should start a thread and post graphs.
  1. Series connections are subject to the effects of additional inductance.
  2. Multiple cabinets will flatten the LF response and depending on your choices in cabinet design you may have less upper bass than desired.
Old 27th August 2012, 08:32 AM   #2777
diyAudio Member

Hi letsbangout,

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsbangout View Post
When posing the question to David previously, about how Hornresp deals with the reactive aspects of multiple drivers when using the Multiple Speakers calculation, I was told (if I recall correctly) that it doesn't. That is, what you see in "Multiple Speakers" is just a factor of ohms law, while taking into account that the mouth area will be increased n times for n additional speakers.
The original question asked in Post #1035 was:

"What exactly is happening "under the hood" in Hornresp when you run a calculation with the Multiple Speakers wizard? It seems to be recalculating based on the new resistance and inductance. But does Hornresp take into consideration the increased physical dimensions associated with multiple speakers, i.e. a larger combined mouth? Does it assume they're stacked vertically, horizontally, etc?"

To which I replied:

"The increased physical dimensions associated with multiple speakers are taken into account by Hornresp. The "larger combined mouth" is assumed to be circular - for this reason the program does not need to know how the speakers are stacked."

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsbangout View Post
In other words, the Multiple Speakers wizard doesn't at all consider how different the response will be as a result of the reactive aspects of adding additional speakers connected to a common feed-point.
Could you please clarify what you mean by "reactive aspects"?

As far as calculating the amplifier load is concerned, the Wizard takes into account the combined complex impedance of the multiple speakers.

Kind regards,

David
Old 31st August 2012, 08:00 AM   #2778
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean View Post
Just to clarify - the latest release of Hornresp is actually Product Number 2910-120829 :-).

Kind regards,

David
Thanks
What's new David?
Old 31st August 2012, 08:41 AM   #2779
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
Thanks
What's new David?
Hi Dan,

Nothing of great consequence :-). The code associated with hyperbolic-exponential horns has been refined to speed up the calculations of hypex horns having Cir < 1. Because no new feature has been added, the change was not formally advised. You may notice that the Hornresp Product Number tends to change quite often without any announcements being made - I just can't resist tweaking things...

Kind regards,

David
Old 31st August 2012, 11:30 AM   #2780
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

I keep an eye on the version numbers. You are keeping very busy David.

Hide this!Advertise here!