Hornresp

I tried reposting and it rejected as invalid file..changed from .frd to .txt and seems to have worked

Hi Jack,

Thanks for providing the file.

Hornresp only accepts filenames up to 16 characters in length, excluding the .frd extension. 'Base Bin Room Gain Profile' is 26 characters including spaces. If you rename the file as 'BB Room Gain.frd' for example, you will find that it works just fine.

The program should automatically check for filenames longer than 16 characters and advise the user, but this functionality is obviously not working correctly. I will investigate and fix in time for the next release.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 208
Hi David

Thank you, I will look at it, this I did not find in help file, or I was blind that day, as more diy people proberly have when do learn things.

Hi Kees,

The two relevant sections in the Help file are:

* Multiple Entry Horn Wizard
* Two-Way Multiple Entry Horn

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 210
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 213
Hi Jack,

Thanks for providing the file.

Hornresp only accepts filenames up to 16 characters in length, excluding the .frd extension. 'Base Bin Room Gain Profile' is 26 characters including spaces. If you rename the file as 'BB Room Gain.frd' for example, you will find that it works just fine.

The program should automatically check for filenames longer than 16 characters and advise the user, but this functionality is obviously not working correctly. I will investigate and fix in time for the next release.

Kind regards,

David

Hi David:
Thanks for pointing that out although I hate it when I miss something simple and obvious :). I do love long file and variable names though for the self documenting aspect. I should be able to live with 16 characters. It would be nice if I could have separate import and export directories for each project by having a way to change the directory focus for file operations.

Importing boundary support for a corner base bin instead of just doing a 1/2 pi simulation shows big differences in response just where one would be crossing to a mid horn sitting on top of the base bin. I need to determine if and where boundary nulls will occur that limit that upper crossover frequency, based on a few options on how the sound exits the enclosure. HR and Jeff's tool can't fully answer that question but they tell me where, crossover frequency wise, I need to be careful.

Jack

What were the boundary conditions for the room gain calculations?

Because that really does not look right.

I don't know the math behind the spreadsheet but this is the result of the room gain section alone. You can select the room's longest dimension and the percentage of leakage, that's it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Like I said, by necessity this is the least accurate part of this spreadsheet, it's impossible to address all the data that would need to be used to get a more accurate result, but the boundary bounce and diffraction part are very accurate (within the limitation of infinitely rigid boundaries).

If you are not familiar with the spreadsheet why did you say:

Great to hear you are getting successful implementation of the room gain feature.

For that area you can get some semi useful results in the overall performance of your project.

Using Jeff's spreadsheet for anything further is chasing something you will not really catch.

They are simulations. And not even all that accurate simulations of boundary effects in the first place.

It isn't right, its a test file, combining boundary support and room gain.

The boundary support is generated as a power response, which I now know is incorrect by comparing imported profile vs 1/2 pi sim. The distances from the wall and floor were set unrealistically low so no nulls would show up.

The room gain parameters are based on 29' longest dimension and either 50% or 60% leakage.

Sorry to be terse but my day job is intruding.

Hornresp Update 3700-150220

Hi Everyone,

CHANGE 1

The bug identified by Jack in Post #5248 has now been fixed.

CHANGE 2

Pressing the Ctrl key while adjusting an Amplifier Eg or Rg slider control in the Multiple Entry Horn Wizard will cause the other Eg or Rg slider to be set to the same value.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 87
Hi David:
Sometime in the last couple of iterations I've lost the ability to display "Delay" in the Filter Wizard. This screenshot is from your version ...220, downloaded this AM. Help says that Delay option should be there in the drop down menu. Notice that pressure is also missing.

Regards,
Jack

Attachments

• HR screenshot.jpg
    HR screenshot.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 210
Hi David:

Sometime in the last couple of upgrades I've lost the ability to pull up the "Delay" screen in the Filter Wizard. This screenshot is from your version ...220, downloaded this AM. Help says that Delay option should be there in the drop down menu. Notice that Pressure is also missing from the drop down menu but the Help implies it should be there.

Yesterday, it was driving me crazy. It appeared that on some sims, I could pull up the Delay screen but on others I couldn't. Today, I've cleaned up all the old revs of HR from my system and Delay is consistently missing.

Meanwhile, importing boundary support files has been enormously helpful. Oops, overlapping posts from a mis-click...

Thanks and regards,
Jack

Attachments

• HR screenshot.jpg
    HR screenshot.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Hi David:

Sometime in the last couple of upgrades I've lost the ability to pull up the "Delay" screen in the Filter Wizard. This screenshot is from your version ...220, downloaded this AM. Help says that Delay option should be there in the drop down menu. Notice that Pressure is also missing from the drop down menu but the Help implies it should be there.

Yesterday, it was driving me crazy. It appeared that on some sims, I could pull up the Delay screen but on others I couldn't. Today, I've cleaned up all the old revs of HR from my system and Delay is consistently missing.

Meanwhile, importing boundary support files has been enormously helpful. Oops, overlapping posts from a mis-click...

Thanks and regards,
Jack

Hi David:
I understand you are having browser problems. This problem was still bugging me so I dug deeper and at least found out what triggers it and how to avoid it.

The Delay screen is available until I import and include a room gain profile. Once I've have done so, I'm not able to see the Delay screen option in Filter Wizard until and unless I exit HornResp and re-simulate. That had me going for a while:)

Thanks,
Jack

Hi Jack,

Sometime in the last couple of upgrades I've lost the ability to pull up the "Delay" screen in the Filter Wizard.

If room gain is added to the power response, or if the Filter Wizard is selected from the Loudspeaker Wizard, then the Filter Wizard group delay output option is not available.

Notice that Pressure is also missing from the drop down menu but the Help implies it should be there.

If the default acoustical power response is calculated and the Filter Wizard then selected, the wizard output drop-down list indicates 'Power' rather than 'Pressure'.

If the Directivity Response tool is used to calculate the acoustical pressure response and the Filter Wizard then selected, the wizard output drop-down list indicates 'Pressure' rather than 'Power'.

I'm not able to see the Delay screen option in Filter Wizard until and unless I exit HornResp and re-simulate.

It should not be necessary to exit Hornresp. Just set the Tools > Room Gain menu back to the Excluded option, and the Filter Wizard group delay option becomes available again (provided that the Filter Wizard is not selected from the Loudspeaker Wizard).

Kind regards,

David

Hi David

I wish to build a 80 Hz Le Cleach Horn, terminating at 90 degrees with a throat diameter of 25mm. It will be 4 sided, all sides equal in size. When I export the data does that give the coordinates for each panel, so they will flex into the correct shape? Or does it produce the coordinates of the final horn, as if it has been cut thru the central plane? Similar to the round horns. I hope this makes sense, basically i want to plot the exported coordinates, make a horn mould with bendy ply and bracing.