Hornresp - Page 239 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2011, 12:05 AM   #2381
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
OK, here are the specs for the B&C DE10 1" compression driver. Is it possible to calculate T/S parameters from this data? I'm sorry I'm not expert enough to know how myself.
There is not enough information in the specifications that you posted that make it possible to determine the T/S parameters of the driver.

As John Sheerin stated, "Compression drivers have mechanical parameters just like any transducer", but to calculate T/S parameters would require more detail than voice coil size, impedance, inductance and magnetic strength.
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:12 AM   #2382
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
There is not enough information in the specifications that you posted that make it possible to determine the T/S parameters of the driver.

As John Sheerin stated, "Compression drivers have mechanical parameters just like any transducer", but to calculate T/S parameters would require more detail than voice coil size, impedance, inductance and magnetic strength.
OK. I realize of course that one could purchase one of these and perform all the necessary measurements needed, but it would be better if the information were available before purchase. I have communicated with manufacturers to get more information, but still I don't think I could model a horn in Hornresp with the information I had. Heck, even many crossover design software does not support compression drivers, so I have found it tough to work with these things.
Old 2nd November 2011, 07:00 AM   #2383
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sannax View Post
Well, my plan is to make a LeCleach horn for a JBL 2" driver.
Hi Chris,

All you really need to know are the exit area, exit angle and low frequency limit of the compression driver. If the exit angle is unknown then simply make an educated guess - it will be close enough.

Procedure:

1. Use the Hornresp Horn Segment Wizard to determine the required horn given inputs S1, F12, AT and Fta. For the example shown I have assumed a 2" diameter driver exit area, an exit half-angle of 5 degrees, and a required horn cutoff frequency of 250 hertz.

2. Calculate the results for Ang = 4.0 x Pi and Eg = 0. By setting Eg to zero, a constant velocity driver is assumed - it doesn't matter what driver parameter values are used.

3. Export the exact axisymmetric profile and use the data to construct the horn.

Kind regards,

David
Attached Images
File Type: png Wizard.png (10.5 KB, 151 views)
File Type: png Horn.png (16.0 KB, 163 views)
Old 2nd November 2011, 07:05 AM   #2384
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have communicated with manufacturers to get more information, but still I don't think I could model a horn in Hornresp with the information I had.
Hi dirkwright,

See my post above.

Kind regards,

David
Old 2nd November 2011, 03:07 PM   #2385
sannax is offline sannax  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean View Post
Hi Chris,

All you really need to know are the exit area, exit angle and low frequency limit of the compression driver. If the exit angle is unknown then simply make an educated guess - it will be close enough.

Procedure:

1. Use the Hornresp Horn Segment Wizard to determine the required horn given inputs S1, F12, AT and Fta. For the example shown I have assumed a 2" diameter driver exit area, an exit half-angle of 5 degrees, and a required horn cutoff frequency of 250 hertz.

2. Calculate the results for Ang = 4.0 x Pi and Eg = 0. By setting Eg to zero, a constant velocity driver is assumed - it doesn't matter what driver parameter values are used.

3. Export the exact axisymmetric profile and use the data to construct the horn.

Kind regards,

David
Thank you very much, David!
I am going to use a JBL 2441. I think I have read somewhere that the exit angle is 10 degrees on most of the JBL drivers, so this shouldn't be to difficult.
Old 2nd November 2011, 03:32 PM   #2386
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sannax View Post
Thank you very much, David!
I am going to use a JBL 2441. I think I have read somewhere that the exit angle is 10 degrees on most of the JBL drivers, so this shouldn't be to difficult.
Yeah, I hoped it was pretty simple to design a horn using a compression driver. I think the difficult part comes in with the crossover. At least that's the case with me.

Maybe that's the next step for this software.
Old 2nd November 2011, 04:51 PM   #2387
sannax is offline sannax  Norway
diyAudio Member

Passive crossovers with a compression driver is not the easiest task, I have read...that's why I go active, though not a walk in the park that either..
Old 2nd November 2011, 04:54 PM   #2388
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@ David Mcbean

Hi, thanks i will reply to your posts soon.
Old 3rd November 2011, 06:22 AM   #2389
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think the difficult part comes in with the crossover. Maybe that's the next step for this software.
Hi dirkwright,

Sorry, it's not going to happen :-).

My interest lies with the performance of the loudspeaker itself, not with how the signal is processed prior to reaching the driver.

Kind regards,

David
Old 3rd November 2011, 02:45 PM   #2390
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean View Post
Hi dirkwright,

Sorry, it's not going to happen :-).

My interest lies with the performance of the loudspeaker itself, not with how the signal is processed prior to reaching the driver.

Kind regards,

David
OK, but without such a simulation it remains unclear (without lots of experimenting) how horn loudspeakers respond to passive crossovers. I'm not sure they respond in the same way that direct radiators respond, for example. I also don't think I can model horns in other kinds of software that do allow for the effects of a passive crossover and other filter elements.

Hide this!Advertise here!