Hornresp

I think it would be helpful if people posted their OS version when reporting problems. Issues can appear on one, or more versions, but not others.

Hi Zero D,

According to Microsoft, Visual Basic 6 applications (such as Hornresp) should work okay on all 32-bit and 64-bit Windows platforms up to and including Windows 8.

All bets are off though, when it comes to Linux and Apple Operating Systems :).

Kind regards,

David

Hi Mark and sine143,

I finally managed to generate a run-time error in the Filter Wizard!

Sequence of actions:

1. Calculate SPL response for default record.
2. Select Filter Wizard.
3. Select Equaliser option.
4. Select Memory option.
5. Click Close button.
6. Select Filter Wizard again.
7. Select Passive option.
8. Run-time error '380' (Invalid property value).

Is this the same error as the one you are seeing?

The above bug will be fixed in the next release.

Kind regards,

David

what did I do wrong in copying a ml-tl design to get an odd looking BP response? I've been sick so make more mistakes than usual
(my windows are blue)

PlqOTaC.gif

6Ode0Jc.gif

6z7JuOz.gif

OK, got a runtime error '5': invalid procedure call or argument using the latest version when I let HR design a FLH from the driver specs.

Hi GM,

Thanks for the feedback. Could you please provide the values of Ang, Sd, Bl, Cms, Rms, Mmd, Le, Re and Nd that you used as inputs to the 'System Design With Driver' tool. Also, what were the specified upper and lower frequencies?

Kind regards,

David

Greets!

You're welcome! I first got the error on an ?? earlier version, so just updated to hopefully solve the problem, but no joy.

The designer popped up a default 32-320 Hz FLH, which I ultimately plugged into Prof. Leach's math to get it, but didn’t go back to see how it compared to what HR calc’d to get the error.

Anyway, after some much needed sleep, I took the design I did and used the designer on a new copy and it worked! Hmm…………

Replicating what I’d done earlier though, it again gave me the error i.e.: I copied a TH alignment [attached], changed the driver from TH to Nd, changed the Par values to Con and cleared out the Con/L12 field to clear them all, then ran the designer.

When I did it just now though, it apparently crashed HR, i.e.: it won’t load, only displaying the HR pop-up with an empty tab in the taskbar and can only be closed by shutting it down in Windoze’s Task Manager.

Here’s where it gets really strange though [at least to me]……… I opened it again, so that I could ‘snap’ a picture of the pop-up + empty tab, but decided to minimize the Chrome browser ‘behind’ it first. This converted the pop-up window’s display to show the Word doc’s text ‘behind’ it, so maximized the browser again to see if it would ‘undo’ it, but instead made the pop-up disappear and the taskbar tab display properly, except it was ‘flashing’ to denote that HR was minimized, so clicked on it and HR popped-up/displayed properly, though there was an obvious time lag that historically has been instantaneous.

Going to the last record, it showed the unchanged TH copy and otherwise seemed to be working properly, so closed HR, then reopened/closed it several more times and it still seems to be working OK, including ‘instantaneous maximizing’, though it’s now taking somewhat longer for HR to open now [maybe 2-3x longer] and haven’t tried any of the more recent features and run out of time for now to get educated on them to experiment. Consequently, no ‘snapshots’ of the pop-up/taskbar tab shenanigans either.

FWIW, something else I just noticed is that since the last opening it was originally showing Hornresp.exe as having an 11 k+ ‘mem usage’, but awhile later it was only 2+k and just now 3,144 k even though I’ve done nothing with it, i.e. it’s been maximized the whole time. Moving to other records changes it, though moving it back returns it to 3,160 k.

Now it’s somewhat later and it’s up to 4,052 k even though I’ve done nothing with it. Is this normal and if not, what do I need to do about it?

Still using Windoze XP Pro V5.1: SP2, so wondering if the lack of any new ‘fixes’ lately might be an issue.

GM

Attachments

• Fane_15-400_THv2.txt
    957 bytes · Views: 37
Last edited:
Hi GM,

Replicating what I’d done earlier though, it again gave me the error

Many thanks for the detailed report - it made it very easy for me to find and fix the bug (which would have been present from the very beginning, when the System Design tool was first added to Hornresp).

The reason I never came across the problem myself is because I don't clear any of the input fields before using the System Design tool :). I simply ensure that the requested input values are correct, and then leave the rest to the tool - it automatically changes input fields and labels as necessary.

Here’s where it gets really strange though

Sounds like your Operating System might have become a little confused for a while. This can happen with Windows occasionally :).

Now it’s somewhat later and it’s up to 4,052 k even though I’ve done nothing with it. Is this normal and if not, what do I need to do about it?

Nothing to worry about, it's quite normal.

Thanks again for reporting this quite elusive bug.

Kind regards,

David

so wonder if HR's SPL plot should default to 'combined' @ '0' offset and only use the tool to change it.

Hi GM,

I considered doing that some time ago, but ultimately decided to retain the need for the user to specify a path length difference each time the combined system response is calculated, rather than having a default value automatically inserted.

It's just another 'quirk' that Hornresp users are required to come to terms with :).

Kind regards,

David

Hi GM,

Many thanks for the detailed report - it made it very easy for me to find and fix the bug (which would have been present from the very beginning, when the System Design tool was first added to Hornresp).

Greets!

You’re welcome! Thanks for the quick repair!

Interesting, I haven’t used the designer much over the years, but for sure have done it like the other day for most, if not all, and this was the first error, so figured it had something to do with one or more of the new features.

Good to know it’s not necessary to reset the horn fields though.

Yeah, all the Windoze machines I’ve had get weird sooner or later for no apparent reason, though they usually self correct with a re-boot. The Chrome ‘thing’ may have been due to ‘customer no service’ AT&T reducing my DSL speed all the way down to dial-up about the same time, so with a bunch of tabs open I guess its super slow refresh rate had something to do with it.

GM

so wonder if HR's SPL plot should default to 'combined' @ '0' offset and only use the tool to change it.

Hi GM,

After thinking some more about your comment above, I have decided to go ahead and implement the change as suggested, the only slight alteration being that the currently saved path length difference will be used as the default offset - this might or might not be zero.

It shouldn't take too long...

Kind regards,

David

The Chrome 'thing' may have been due to 'customer no service' AT&T reducing my DSL speed all the way down to dial-up about the same time, so with a bunch of tabs open I guess its super slow refresh rate had something to do with it.

Hi GM,

That would have been the reason for sure - thanks for the clarification.

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
After thinking some more about your comment above, I have decided to go ahead and implement the change as suggested, the only slight alteration being that the currently saved path length difference will be used as the default offset - this might or might not be zero.

Perhaps the feature could also be turned on and off in the 'options' settings? You could even add a default path lenght difference there, if you have somewhere to store the value :)

-Bjørn