Hornresp

David

I have done some tests with sketchup and the export from hornresp like before, I have put it in sketchup and get differend outcomes then when I draw a line from S1 to S5, it is not precise a straight panel when make a T-TQWT or TL or a Tapped horn, I think the old versions did better? can you put a hornresp program from past year to see if I am right, I keep struggling with the export get the box right, only conical I did see has a width who is 15.60cm al along the S1 to S5 but not when I do export par. Respons is better with conical and even better with exp, par give a less good respons, more ripple.

Maybe the use of S5 in this tapped horn give this error? I did put S2 and S3 to automatic.

in the zip are te exports, maybe it helps if it is a error.

regards

kees

Attachments

• Export.zip
    33.2 KB · Views: 35
  • ScreenHunter_36 Jan. 22 13.56.jpg
    ScreenHunter_36 Jan. 22 13.56.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 222
  • ScreenHunter_35 Jan. 22 13.56.jpg
    ScreenHunter_35 Jan. 22 13.56.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 219
I have put it in sketchup and get differend outcomes then when I draw a line from S1 to S5, it is not precise a straight panel when make a T-TQWT or TL or a Tapped horn,

Hi Kees,

I am not sure that I understand what it is that you are trying to do :).

The Hornresp exported horn data results you have posted look fine to me. I cannot open the .skp file.

Kind regards,

David

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
@Kees..

Something I haven't been able to come to trust with computer graphics is that pixels (or their printed equivalent) will necessarily be square. Just my experience.

Oh, then there's MS Office based graphics and also browser rendered graphics etc....

Here are a couple of profiles that should be the same. One (can't remember which) is from a screenshot of Hornresp brought into Autocad upon which I traced a spline. I've done this a lot with no complaints. The other is from a screenshot of the output of a spreadsheet (Excel), which was then corrected for astigmatism before continuing.

Attachments

• lc.png
    lc.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 206
David and AllenB

Yhanks for the explaining.

I have drawn a straigt horn in hornresp and then make measurements with sketchup 0.1 cm resolution, all the way the horn, it give other numbers then when do drawn the whole horn in sktchup with only the start and end numbers as in hornresp, between then I get other numbers, maybe the photo give more explaining.

regards.

kees

Attachments

• hornresp test.jpg
    hornresp test.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 215
  • ScreenHunter_31 Jan. 18 19.08.jpg
    ScreenHunter_31 Jan. 18 19.08.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 214
I have drawn a straigt horn in hornresp and then make measurements with sketchup 0.1 cm resolution, all the way the horn, it give other numbers then when do drawn the whole horn in sktchup with only the start and end numbers as in hornresp, between then I get other numbers, maybe the photo give more explaining.

Hi Kees,

If you want the cross-sectional height to increase linearly over the full length of the tapped horn when width is held constant, then do the following:

1. Specify a standard three segment tapped horn with Par flares, so that the areas expand linearly.
2. Open the Loudspeaker Wizard and set S2 and S3 to Auto, and then press the Save button.
3. When exporting the horn data set the Width values to the required constant width and specify Con width flares.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    72.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Kees.txt
    9.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Thanks David. I went back over what Jean-Michel had to say on this and I think there is the implication that beyond exponential.. there is conical ;) Might be chasing my tail. At the time I was looking for AT=25.

Hi AllenB,

After further testing, I am still not comfortable in changing from the current T = 1.50 maximum.

Kind regards,

David

Sorry if this has been mentioned but how do I figure out the Vtc and Atc?

I saw in Hornresp that it already has a 3023 driver volume. But when adding in a baffle and excursion how does that add in to the equation?

I dont know what numbers to plug in. I am looking at the TH18 simulation using 18mm ply and trying to figure out Vtc and Atc to add to the simulation. More parameters I have the better accuracy I can have. Or attempt to have. I am learning this as I go so I apologize if these seem very easy questions to answer.

Hi chrapladm,

I saw in Hornresp that it already has a 3023 driver volume.

Enter the dimensions of the driver you are using to get the correct front volume.

But when adding in a baffle and excursion how does that add in to the equation?

Disregard volume changes due to diaphragm displacement. For the second configuration in the attachment below:

Vtc = Calculated driver front volume
Atc = Sd
Lpt = 1.8 cm

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• driver3.gif
    driver3.gif
    103.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Hi, David! How I can most correctly calculate horn for HF driver with Hornresp? In specheets we don't have any values of Q, Vas, Fs and we can't measure them correctly for HF drivers. As I understant - it's not very important how the HF driver works near his resonant frequency. It's enough to specify correctly only Sd and maybe BL. So what be better to input into Cms, Rms and Mmd fields?

Hornresp Update 3350-140126

Hi Everyone,

Horn segments in the Loudspeaker Wizard can now be partially filled with absorbent material using the Tal1 slider control. The first half of the slider fills the currently selected segment from the throat end, and the second half of the slider fills the segment from the mouth end. A directly entered positive percentage value will fill the currently selected segment from the throat end. A directly entered negative percentage value will fill the currently selected segment from the mouth end.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 175
How I can most correctly calculate horn for HF driver with Hornresp?

Hi rogozhin,

Set Eg = 0 so that the driver diaphragm has a constant rms velocity of 10 cm/sec, and enter an appropriate value for Sd.

It doesn't matter what values the other driver parameters have, as they are not used in the calculations.

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Horn segments in the Loudspeaker Wizard can now be partially filled with absorbent material using the Tal1 slider control. The first half of the slider fills the currently selected segment from the throat end, and the second half of the slider fills the segment from the mouth end. A directly entered positive percentage value will fill the currently selected segment from the throat end. A directly entered negative percentage value will fill the currently selected segment from the mouth end.

Kind regards,

David

Hi David,

I'm the the Loudspeaker Wizard, with a Taped Horn, selected Schematic and Chamber but can't find the Tal1 slider control, also the Chamber picture is a red vertical line, nothing like your example. The version is 140127. I must be doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ken