Hornresp - Page 203 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2011, 07:21 AM   #2021
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
Is there a place where Hornresp list vent air velocity when simulating a ported enclosure?
Hi Mark,

Currently Hornresp does not provide details of port air velocity. I guess it would not be too difficult to add the information to the Sample tool results when the port SPL chart is displayed, if the need was considered great enough.

Note however that Hornresp port air velocities would in most cases be higher than WinISD values because losses are not taken into account in Hornresp, as Bjørn has mentioned.

Kind regards,

David
Old 20th July 2011, 07:26 AM   #2022
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
What if Hornresp could crunch the numbers of multiple records? That is to say that if you created a file for each position along the path where a driver is located. It would also be interesting if you could use another mode of the multiple record technique for comparison.
Hi Dan,

Sorry, it's not going to happen - too much work required :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 20th July 2011, 07:53 AM   #2023
blo06 is offline blo06  France
diyAudio Member

Hi,

thanks for param info.

I will be careful.

Regards
Old 23rd July 2011, 02:32 AM   #2024
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Mark,

Currently Hornresp does not provide details of port air velocity. I guess it would not be too difficult to add the information to the Sample tool results when the port SPL chart is displayed, if the need was considered great enough.

Note however that Hornresp port air velocities would in most cases be higher than WinISD values because losses are not taken into account in Hornresp, as Bjørn has mentioned.

Kind regards,

David
I know two things for sure.

If it was there I would use it.

And second. If I am guessing this correctly the amount of coding to exceed the accuracy of WinISD is not to far out of your reach. If you added a option for accurate vent air velocity it would prove to be very useful for more than just a port in a box. Knowing the air speed in a horn near the throat is also very useful.

Mark
Old 23rd July 2011, 06:22 AM   #2025
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If I am guessing this correctly the amount of coding to exceed the accuracy of WinISD is not to far out of your reach. If you added a option for accurate vent air velocity it would prove to be very useful for more than just a port in a box.
Hi Mark,

I am not sure how useful port air velocity values generated by Hornresp would really be. I guess they could be considered "worst case" in that they would normally be higher than those calculated by WinISD, but this does not necessarily mean that they would be any more accurate.

For valid comparisons with WinISD port air velocity results, Hornresp would need to be set to the unmasked resonances option and the WinISD enclosure leakage loss value Ql would have to be made very large - typically around 999999.

I suspect that differences in the values generated by the two programs depending upon the input conditions could be a source of confusion for some users, so perhaps it is better not to include the feature in Hornresp at all :-).

WinISD should be accurate enough for practical purposes, I would have thought.

(Hornresp records can of course be exported to AkAbak and volume velocites calculated there, with port air velocity being derived by dividing port volume velocity by port cross-sectional area).

Kind regards,

David

Last edited by David McBean; 23rd July 2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 23rd July 2011, 12:56 PM   #2026
diyAudio Member

Hello David

WinISD is quite good.

What I have been working on as of late is a small horn where I am worried what the air speed velocities will be.

Horn's tend to distort quite badly when pushed beyond a certain limit.

Packing up is what we used to call it when I play a French Horn. You can blow harder but no greater amount of useable sound will be emitted.

If something could be accomplished by this request to try and determine air speed velocities then great.

If it is to esoteric or to difficult, then I asked, and you gave a gracious answer.

I have to say this. That without this program much of what I try to accomplish would be a great deal more difficult.

Many thanks David.
Old 25th July 2011, 07:58 AM   #2027
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If something could be accomplished by this request to try and determine air speed velocities then great.
Hi Mark,

Air velocity details will be included in the SPL response chart Sample tool in the next release of Hornresp, due in the next few days.

Kind regards,

David
Attached Images
File Type: png Port.png (28.3 KB, 170 views)
Old 25th July 2011, 12:00 PM   #2028
diyAudio Member

Really looking forward to it!

Is it applicable globally or in the vented box section only?

Just curious really. Any where will be of great help.
Old 26th July 2011, 07:18 AM   #2029
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is it applicable globally or in the vented box section only?
Hi Mark,

It will apply globally - to all SPL response charts except for the combined response chart itself.

Kind regards,

David
Old 27th July 2011, 05:09 AM   #2030
diyAudio Member

Default Hornresp Update

Hi Everyone,

Air velocity is now included in the SPL response chart sample results. Product Number 2850-110727 refers.

Please note that for a valid comparison with WinISD port air velocity results, Hornresp should be set to the unmasked resonances option and the WinISD enclosure leakage loss value Ql must be made very large - typically around 999999.

My thanks to Mark for raising the issue of air velocity.

Kind regards,

David

Hide this!Advertise here!