Hornresp

Hornresp Version 21.00

David McBean said:
Compound-horn designs cannot be modelled in Hornresp.

Hi Everyone,

Just letting you know that Hornresp can now model conical and/or exponential flare compound horns. Version 21.00 refers. See Note 9 on page 16 of the Help File for details. Could you please report any bugs. Thanks.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• compound.jpg
    compound.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 600
Re: S2 Fixed

tb46 said:
One additional suggestion: it might be more useful to have the default as "Horn - S2 Fixed" instead of "Horn - S2 Variable", otherwise S2 will be altered if one leaves the Wizard and then re-enters.

Hi Oliver,

"Horn - S2 Fixed" has been made the default option in Version 21.00, as suggested.

Also, I have now made the schematic diagram the default view rather than the SPL response chart. Note that pressing the 'down arrow' key immediately after the tapped horn wizard form opens, changes the view to the SPL response chart.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Kind regards,

David

Hy David,

this is sooo nice :) Works good. Funny SPL-things happen if the driver has the exact same horn on both sides :)

my thoughts so far:

- when in CH mode, it might be useful to block the "systems design" button. Right now one can select a design - the result is a new horn in segment 1, the CH leftover in Segment 4 is still active, resulting in invalid input data. Or the "systems design button" could be left intact and a reset of input data could be added? (Of course, a system designer for al kinds of horns would be great: "please state desired end-product" - hornresp does the rest. ... Just kidding :) )

- A path length difference greater than the sum of all segment-lengths should be impossible to realise, maybe a little check or a reminder when exceeding the overal length in the "combined response" field could be nice? (ok, this realy is minor)

- Old saved data from prevous versions seem to work fine :)

- Switching from 4Seg TH to CH back and forth without changing values keeps everything intact. Interesting, how close both SPL charts are to one another when just switching (PA Sub, Ciare 12, 2Pi, 300l, 4 Segments)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

- When changing A 4 Segmented CH with both back- and compression chamber back to TH, this happens:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Which looks quite funny :) If the CH had S5 =! S4 (which is ok for CH, but not for TH) S4 is forced to S5, which also seems correct. But now one has "invalid TH data" - but the calculate Button still works which might be confusing.

I`d love to play around more, sadly I have to get some work done (7:00 AM here). Will do some more testing later.

I love the new addition and after a quick look it seems to work like a charm. The possibility to switch between horn-types might bear the danger of creating unreal horns or not working input data, but that´s users responsibility to check and use theyr heads, imho.

Thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Compound Horns

Hi David,

What got me into this mess was a general interest in fullrange horn systems like the Lowther TP1 London. Now I'll have to go back and look at that again. Well, thank you very much. :)

So far everything I have tried works fine. This will take a while to investigate.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Oliver.

Hi Sabbelbacke,

I just couldn’t wait until the weekend to fix things :).

Sabbelbacke said:
Funny SPL-things happen if the driver has the exact same horn on both sides :).

This is to be expected. While I was checking however, I discovered that if horn 2 had a conical flare with S5 = S6, then a fatal 'Division by zero' error would occur when calculating the combined response. This has been corrected.

Sabbelbacke said:
When in CH mode, it might be useful to block the "systems design" button.

The data in the horn segment 4 input fields should automatically be reset to zero when the System Design tool is used. This has been corrected.

Sabbelbacke said:
A path length difference greater than the sum of all segment-lengths should be impossible to realise.

Great pickup - I had missed that one :). The normal upper default limit of 999,99 cm has been changed so that it is now the sum of all the segment lengths plus chamber lengths. A warning message is displayed if the limit is exceeded. Note that for an offset driver horn, the value of L12 is not included.

Sabbelbacke said:
Old saved data from previous versions seem to work fine :).

This should always be the case. If any new version cannot read the saved data from a previous version, then something is definitely wrong.

Sabbelbacke said:
When changing a 4 Segmented CH with both back- and compression chamber back to TH, this happens:

The Calculate button should be automatically disabled (which in turn disables the View Schematic tool). This has been corrected.

Sabbelbacke said:
The possibility to switch between horn-types might bear the danger of creating unreal horns or not working input data.

It should not be possible to calculate results for an invalid horn configuration. This has been corrected.

The above changes are included in Product Number 2100-090206.

Thanks again for all your help, it is very much appreciated!

Could you please let me know if you find anything else.

Kind regards,

David

cowanaudio said:
I still find it remarkable just how close your model comes to measured results. All the main features are at exactly the right frequency.

Hi William,

I am pleasantly surprised myself at just how well the Hornresp predictions seem to compare to your measured results, particularly considering the sensitivity of the tapped horn model to even quite small changes in horn input parameter values.

You must be modelling your actual physical design in Hornresp very accurately indeed, to achieve such good comparisons. Well done!

Kind regards,

David

David,
is there a way to tell hornresp that it has to use the Hornresp.dat
file from the folder where the Hornresp.exe is (like .\ instead of c:\hornresp)?

Background: I'm using hornresp on different computers which
leads to the problem that I have several different Hornresp.dat
files with simulations I wish to keep. Of course it's possible to use
HornRespMerge.exe in order to copy records from one dat file to
another but this is time consuming if your dat file contains more
than 100 records.

Therefore my question above came up: An easy
solution would be simply to run hornresp on my different
computers from a single flash disk, which also carries the
HornResp.dat file.

Nevertheless is hornresp a very very useful
tool. Thanks for that.