Hornresp - Page 188 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2011, 09:18 AM   #1871
diyAudio Member

If your design is so impressive why don´t you show it. Notice this one is not for a "Liliput" system.

The drawback with this large box and cheap driver is max SPL of 120dB at 40Hz. Good enough! The Altec-414-8A I also have will unfortumately be more limited.

Some input from David would be appreciated.
Old 4th May 2011, 09:25 AM   #1872
brsanko is offline brsanko  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to brsanko
I didn't mean to sound like I was bragging I just meant that nothing about it looks to good to be true. It looks like a decent design. I don't share my designs on this site anymore because ignorant naysayers insist apon tearing them apart with ridiculous misinformation and I'm sick of being pissed off. If however someone wants me to help them with a design or design something for them I am always happy to do that. Give it a couple hours, David always responds pretty promplty to my questions.
Old 5th May 2011, 06:26 AM   #1873
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintage View Post
If true it could be something. Take a look if you have the time, and say what you think.
Hi Lars,

The Hornresp simulated SPL response looks nice and smooth, I agree. The only way to know for sure though, would be to build a prototype and measure the actual performance.

I have no practical experience with Le Cléac'h horns so I am not particularly well qualified to comment :-). Jean-Michel would be in a better position to know whether or not such performance could reasonably be expected to be achieved from such a system.

Kind regards,

David
Old 5th May 2011, 08:28 AM   #1874
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately the magic disappears when going from 180 to 90 degrees Le'Cleach horn. Grey=180, Black=90.
Attached Images
File Type: png 90180.PNG (25.7 KB, 223 views)
Old 5th May 2011, 11:54 AM   #1875
Jmmlc is offline Jmmlc  France
R.I.P.

Hello,

Give a look to the acoustic impedance curves and you'll see that with the complete roll-over at mouth the frequency for which the resistive part of the impedance is divide by 2 becomes 100Hz lower to the one obtained when there is no roll-over at the mouth...

One may be surprised by such behaviour.

In fact we have to do a parallel with reactance cancellation.

The acoustic impedance of every horn is depending not only on its shape (tarctrix, exponential, hypex...) but also on its length and its the same with the Le Cléac'h horn. When the Le Cléac'h horn has a rollback mouth it is longer (it is the curved length along the wall which is to be considered here not the axial length) and thus, its acoustic impendance is different than the horn having the same shape and cut-off frequency withhout the rolled-back mouth.

Then, if we optimize the closed rear load in order to compensate the throat reactance of the horn, the resistive part of the horn becomes more important and then it leads to the possible use at lower frequency...

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Best regards from Paris,

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintage View Post
Unfortunately the magic disappears when going from 180 to 90 degrees Le'Cleach horn. Grey=180, Black=90.
Old 5th May 2011, 01:45 PM   #1876
diyAudio Member

Hello Jean-Michel,
Great explantion, even I got it. Anyone can checked against Hornresp where it is easily seen.

About the "parallell with reactance cancellation". Is there a simple way of theoretically optimizing the closed(or vented) rear load. Or even a rule-of-thumb?
Old 17th May 2011, 12:53 AM   #1877
diyAudio Member

Mr McBean,

May I suggest a slider in the loudspeaker wizard to scale the horn. Sometimes I find myself changing s1-s5 (.5-4x) to try different internal widths. Thanks again for your incredible software.
Old 17th May 2011, 09:35 AM   #1878
diyAudio Member

Hey David,
Do you have any ideas on how to use data from Hornresp to design radialhorns? Made a spreadsheet with variable opening angle long ago but can´t find it.
Old 17th May 2011, 07:15 PM   #1879
kahvis is offline kahvis  Finland
diyAudio Member

Hi David,

Click the image to open in full size.

Is that true the 1. tapped horn have a better impulse response than 2.?
I have noticed that the shorter S1 - S2, give the better impulse response, but is that important difference in subwoofer frequences like 100hz and bellow?

Last edited by kahvis; 17th May 2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 18th May 2011, 05:31 AM   #1880
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblersound View Post
May I suggest a slider in the loudspeaker wizard to scale the horn.
Hi bubblersound,

Thanks for the suggestion, but it could perhaps be argued that the Hornresp Loudspeaker Wizard already has more than enough sliders :-). Besides, there is really no spare space on the form to add another control without unduly affecting the current layout.

Kind regards,

David

Hide this!Advertise here!