Hornresp - Page 187 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2011, 06:12 AM   #1861
diyAudio Member

The (?) was to show I didn´t know the exact word. The one I got was from Google translation. But you´re so right, it is the chart gridlines.
Old 28th April 2011, 06:52 AM   #1862
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
posts1854 and 1856.
Please tell us how to read what those pics are telling us.
And tell us, when we need to create them and how to create them.
Hi Andrew,

The Hornresp Polar Map is just another way of displaying the directivity characteristics of a finite single-segment horn loudspeaker. It shows the far-field sound pressure at a fixed distance as a function of the off-axis angle in degrees, versus frequency in hertz.

The polar map is generated using the Tools > Directivity > Polar Map menu command.

Try creating some maps (both normalised and non-normalised), and move the mouse pointer over the plotted areas to check the values at particular points. If you think carefully about what the data is telling you, it should hopefully start to make more sense :-).

The examples posted by Jean-Michel would indicate that according to Hornresp, a Le Cléac'h horn has a smoother and more "controlled" directivity characteristic than an oblate spheroidal waveguide (as frequency and off-axis angle change). Some would argue that this smoothness results in a more "pleasant" listening experience overall.

Kind regards,

David
Old 28th April 2011, 07:39 AM   #1863
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintage View Post
It is the chart gridlines.
Hi Lars,

Thanks for the confirmation.

When I was originally developing the format for the printed hardcopy charts, I tested a number of different line colours and thicknesses. I eventually settled on the current values because they gave the best result overall on my laser printer :-).

In my case, the gridlines are clearly visible but not overly obtrusive. Unfortunately I found that if I made the gridlines any thicker, they tended to overpower the rest of the chart. If I also made the result traces thicker to balance things up again, then the whole chart started to appear too "heavy" - and I do like to make things look nice, if I can :-).

Before you ask - I have no plans to include an optional thickness feature :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 28th April 2011, 10:32 AM   #1864
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Before you ask - I have no plans to include an optional thickness feature :-).
It isn´t a big issue as I seldom do printouts this way, but I hope there are many more who share my problem. Maybe that could persuade you to change your mind.

I usually do a Alt-Printscreen and save as *.PNG as this works great. The gridlines are then clearly visible.
Old 28th April 2011, 11:36 AM   #1865
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintage View Post
I usually do a Alt-Printscreen and save as *.PNG as this works great. The gridlines are then clearly visible.
this seems to confirm that using an inappropriate compression makes the feint lines disappear.
Use an appropriate compression for each pic. You will find that some compression types suit particular pictures and that one that is not good for most pics suddenly performs best for another type of pic.
Old 28th April 2011, 12:07 PM   #1866
diyAudio Member

Quote:
this seems to confirm that using an inappropriate compression makes the feint lines disappear.
Note the grid faints when doing printouts directly from Hornresp. No chance to change compression there as the printout is generated when you hit the button (File/Print when in SPL-response mode).

Quote:
Use an appropriate compression for each pic. You will find that some compression types suit particular pictures and that one that is not good for most pics suddenly performs best for another type of pic.
Maybe I missunderstand you, but I have no problems whatsoever using printscreen and saving as *.PNG.
Old 28th April 2011, 12:29 PM   #1867
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

you have found that png works for that type of pic.

Change to a pic that looks like a detailed photograph and gif might be better.

Change to a text pic and pdf might be best.

You will quickly learn which compression suits what pic.
Old 28th April 2011, 01:41 PM   #1868
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You will quickly learn which compression suits what pic.
Hey Andrew,
Thanks, but as I indicated before I have no problem at all with compression or type of file in the different pics I use. In this case *.png works best for publishing in forums.

Last edited by revintage; 28th April 2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 4th May 2011, 08:38 AM   #1869
diyAudio Member

Hello David,
This one almost looks to good to be true in the low end. If true it could be something. Take a look if you have the time, and say what you think. Has the subject up at the JMMLC-thread.
Attached Images
File Type: png bey12br7080literclosed.PNG (24.9 KB, 163 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt 12dbc.txt (406 Bytes, 13 views)
Old 4th May 2011, 08:49 AM   #1870
brsanko is offline brsanko  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to brsanko
Doesn't look that impressive to me. I've gotten better results with an 8" in a smaller cab. It really only goes down to 40 hz at decent volume and doesn't get that loud period.

Hide this!Advertise here!