Hornresp

FWIW, way back when I measured various drivers with precision snap and bore gauges and all were conical, so it seems reasonable to me that current drivers will be also as the axial length is too short for the extra machining cost to make an audible difference.

Thanks GM, this has been my observation also - it certainly applied to the Fostex compression drivers I was using a number of years ago.

(In Hornresp, the 'exit angle' for a conical flare axisymmetric air passage is given by 2 * Fta).

Kind regards,

David

Hornresp Update 3240-130809

Hi Everyone,

The high pass filter configuration suggested by Jean-Michel in Post #3259 has been added to the Filter Wizard. The new "Le Cléac'h" option provides for two-stage impedance equalisation and high frequency uplift.

While working on the new option, two more bugs were found and fixed in the Filter Wizard. The results generated for passive filters when using the 100Hz to 20kHz frequency range were incorrect, and pressing the S key to instantly check the schematic diagram was not operating as it should.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Filter.png
    Filter.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 252
Hi David,

some feedback about the akabak export function, a problem i ran into and half of a solution:

Exporting the simulation of a conical horn into akabak results in a waveguide and radiator element in the script. Those elements seem to be unable to produce the constant directivity of the conical element, but result in a beamwidth graph (found under the "sum" menu) that looks like a exponential flare. The same thing is visible in the normal frequency response plots if looked at multiple angles, as the conical waveguide+radiator seems to be beaming. The "horn" element however leads to a appropriate beamwidth graph, but seems to be troubled with multiple segments added together, so its no perfect solution either. I probably screwed up majorly somewhere in the script, but wanted to report it still, in case i stumbled upon something.

Thanks for your continued support with hornresp!

Kind regards,

Mathias

That's a good idea, I have noticed I can become a bit unstable from time to time :).

Leaps and bounds better than "off your rocker.'

Keep up the great work.

I'm in China right know extolling the virtues of this program. Jaws drop when they see what can be done with Hornresp.

Makes me proud even to be associated with it it David. Immensely indebted I am I am.

Exporting the simulation of a conical horn into akabak results in a waveguide and radiator element in the script. Those elements seem to be unable to produce the constant directivity of the conical element, but result in a beamwidth graph (found under the "sum" menu) that looks like a exponential flare. The same thing is visible in the normal frequency response plots if looked at multiple angles, as the conical waveguide+radiator seems to be beaming. The "horn" element however leads to a appropriate beamwidth graph, but seems to be troubled with multiple segments added together, so its no perfect solution either. I probably screwed up majorly somewhere in the script, but wanted to report it still, in case i stumbled upon something.

Hi Mathias,

Many thanks for this feedback. I had forgotten about directivity when developing the AkAbak script export functionality :).

Currently the directivity characteristics of the radiator element (a rigid plane vibrating piston) are given, rather than those of the waveguide. I will investigate how much work would be required to change the Hornresp code so that a horn element is specified as the final component in a multiple segment chain, rather than a waveguide + radiator.

Existing:

Driver + Waveguide 1 + Waveguide 2 + [Waveguide 3 + Radiator]

Possible Change:

Driver + Waveguide 1 + Waveguide 2 + [Horn]

I will keep you posted.

Kind regards,

David

I will keep you posted.

Hi Mathias,

On checking my development notes, it seems that I decided not to use the horn element primarily because it requires the mouth area to be larger than the throat area, and for the cross-sectional area to be square / rectangular. Using the waveguide element instead allows for a negative flare axisymmetric horn to be simulated - similar to Hornresp.

In the circumstances I think it is perhaps safer to leave things as they are. If directivity characteristics are required for the mid to high frequency range, then it is probably better for the user to manually replace the final waveguide and radiator elements in the script with a horn element having appropriate mouth height and width dimensions, and for the 'radiation cone' as required by AkAbak to be manually specified.

Kind regards,

David

virustotal.com gives some warnings (3/44) about a trojan in setup.exe from Hornresp. If this is a false positive, some comment on the web page would be nice.

Hi lahmb5678,

I was advised of this problem by private email on 14 August. I am not sure if it was you who sent the message, but as indicated in my reply at the time, I am reluctant to place a note on the web page just in case the Hornresp site is actually hacked at some stage, and there is truly a virus problem with Setup.exe. I would prefer that each user take whatever steps they feel are necessary to verify the safety of the software they download from the Hornresp page.

Better to be safe than sorry :).

Rest assured however, the original Setup.exe software uploaded to the Hornresp site by me will NEVER contain a virus.

Kind regards,

David

I believe HR downloads are safe

I work at a multinational company with very strong anti malware protection.
Everything that I download, even a picture is scanned and if it passes I am given the option to download.
I have never seen any problem with the 7 or 8 HR updates that I downloaded.
On another note I am not allowed to go to Tolvan to get edge ETC... (Known Malware site)