Hornresp - Page 177 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2011, 06:13 AM   #1761
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GGG View Post
I was initially going to use the LeCleac'h flare, it was suggested by another forum member to look at the Tractrix flare. I see the LeCleach flare is alot shorter and rounder. What is your opinion on each?
Hi Gregg,

As Lars points out, a 120 hertz Le Cléac'h horn terminating in a 90 degree mouth will be a little larger than the equivalent tractrix horn. Subjectively I would expect the performance of the Le Cléac'h horn to be marginally superior to that of the tractrix horn, but this is my opinion only - I am sure that others may disagree with me here :-).

The difference in dimensions for the two horn options would be:

Tractrix flare:

S1 = 20.30
S2 = 6539.49 (mouth diameter = 91.25 cm)
L12 (Tra) = 117.78
F12 = 120.00
AT = 3.19
Fta = 90.00

Le Cléac'h flare:

S1 = 20.30
S2 = 11708.62 (mouth diameter = 122.10)
L12 (Lec) = 126.12
F12 = 120.00
T = 1.00
AT = 3.19
Fta = 89.81

(The Horn Segment Wizard tool was used to determine the above Le Cléac'h values).

The 120 hertz Le Cléac'h horn would be 8.34 cm longer than the equivalent tractrix horn, with the mouth diameter being 30.85 cm larger. This should result in a slightly "smoother" overall SPL response.

Kind regards,

David
Old 20th March 2011, 06:28 AM   #1762
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GGG View Post
Can you please expand on the above quote. I am still unsure what to choose for my round horns on the con, exp or uni drop down.
Hi Gregg,

The comment was offered before I knew that you planned to build a round horn :-). It only applies to square or rectangular cross-section horns. Leave the Width Flare as the default "Con" - the height and width data so generated is not required for your round horn anyway.

Kind regards,

David
Old 20th March 2011, 06:46 AM   #1763
3GGG is offline 3GGG  Australia
diyAudio Member

Great, thanks David.

I am thinking the Tractrix will get the gig for the mid bass horn, I have a 1meter maximum (have to set some boundries). I will probably implement the LeCleac'h profile for the smaller horns, unless there is a reason not to mix the profiles up!
Old 20th March 2011, 07:09 AM   #1764
diyAudio Member

Just a quick one - if I use HornResp to model in-car response for a particular subwoofer design, what parameter should I pay attention to? For example, should assume 0.5*PI or even 0*PI loading?
Old 20th March 2011, 11:54 AM   #1765
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

I have found a good correlation between 0.5Pi and whatever I measured in a car.
Old 20th March 2011, 02:46 PM   #1766
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
I have found a good correlation between 0.5Pi and whatever I measured in a car.
Thanks Mark. I'm considering a new sub design for my car (a sort of isobaric design with a loading chamber to pull up the 80~ 100 Hz response a bit), so it would be nice if there's good correlation between the HornResp predictions and the measured response.
Old 20th March 2011, 04:34 PM   #1767
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

I have a new sub to. Front loaded and falling to match the transfer function of the vehicle. Should sum to flat. Will be pretty darn cool to hear 16 hz at about 102 db/watt. Will probably be smiling from ear to ear for a few weeks!
Old 22nd March 2011, 04:51 AM   #1768
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
If I use HornResp to model in-car response for a particular subwoofer design, what parameter should I pay attention to? For example, should assume 0.5*PI or even 0*PI loading?
Hi Brian,

Setting Ang = 0.5 * Pi should give the closest approximation to in-car loading conditions. The predicted SPL response will not include any "cabin resonances" however.

Setting Ang = 0.0 * Pi would specify an infinite horn - not applicable in this case.

Kind regards,

David
Old 22nd March 2011, 08:22 AM   #1769
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The 120 hertz Le Cléac'h horn would be 8.34 cm longer than the equivalent tractrix horn, with the mouth diameter being 30.85 cm larger. This should result in a slightly "smoother" overall SPL response.
I agree on that. I have also made two more sims where I in the first changed the LeCleach Fc to get equal length of the horns and in the second case to get equal moutharea of the horns. In both cases the LeCleach looked smoother even if it in the latter case got a lot shorter.
Old 22nd March 2011, 09:32 AM   #1770
diyAudio Member

Ooops, forgot to say that the above is valid for the vented midbass-horn I am working on.

Hide this!Advertise here!