Hornresp

I just posted links to 3 different tutorials with tons of info and pictures so I'm not sure what it is that you are looking for. If those tutorials don't help, I don't think anything short of a personal tutor is going to work.

This program isn't like WinISD where there are preselected alignments to choose from and the program spits out a design for you. If that's what you are hoping for, a refined help guide isn't going to help. With this program you have to know a bit about how the various alignments work and you have to have at least a bit of vision about where you hope to end up before you start. I suspect that may be what is lacking, not lack of proper instructions.

Please read the 3 links I posted. It would take a tremendous amount of work to create a help file that exceeds (or even meets) the quality of those 3 resources. The pictures alone would take several hours (if not days) to create. For the author of this program, creating a help file is time that could be much better spent doing other things, like adding the ability to place stuffing and/or a port anywhere along the length of a line (full mltl sim capability). Or more segments.

Last edited:
I just posted links to 3 different tutorials with tons of info and pictures so I'm not sure what it is that you are looking for. If those tutorials don't help, I don't think anything short of a personal tutor is going to work.

This program isn't like WinISD where there are preselected alignments to choose from and the program spits out a design for you. If that's what you are hoping for, a refined help guide isn't going to help. With this program you have to know a bit about how the various alignments work and you have to have at least a bit of vision about where you hope to end up before you start. I suspect that may be what is lacking, not lack of proper instructions.

Please read the 3 links I posted. It would take a tremendous amount of work to create a help file that exceeds (or even meets) the quality of those 3 resources. The pictures alone would take several hours (if not days) to create. For the author of this program, creating a help file is time that could be much better spent doing other things, like adding the ability to place stuffing and/or a port anywhere along the length of a line (full mltl sim capability). Or more segments.

Hi just a guy,

Tks for your answer.
Don't misunderstand my words, I'm using HR for years, and I'm pretty ok with it.
I don't ask nothing, I'm just pointing that the help is not cool, and could be ameliorate.
I "evangelize" a bit for HR in foreign forum, and people say sometimes that the help is just a strait text that you have to read from the beginning to find something, which is true.

A said, the pb is the presentation.
It's not user friendly.
I think that the same text in a PDF with some hypertext improvement could do it.
And that it could be maintained by someone else than David, which could be good for him, too. :)

Regards,

B.

Help File etc

Originally Posted by David McBean

Neither does the SPL Response window :)

:D

I've learnt my lesson - the words "it's not going to happen" have now been removed from my vocabulary :)

At last ;) Also i expect you got a good buzz out of coding these Filters, & that it gave you enormous satisfaction in the process :)

Found some "possible" solutions for both WinHelp & Html Help, which "might" be of use to you ?

Actually, what you want to do is surprisingly difficult. It requires
the use of some API calls that can be quite buggy (in NT as least).
Here are the basics...

Creating Help Files in VB6 ? - Xtreme Visual Basic Talk

Visual Basic and WinHelp HLP Files & Visual Basic 6 and HTML Help CHM Files

Connecting Context-Sensitive Help to Visual Basic Applications

I had to use GC as the original www was unavailable ?

Quite a few links mention RoboHelp

https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/robohelp.html

Can I try RoboHelp before I buy it?

Yes. You can download a fully functional, 30-day complimentary trial version.

https://www.adobe.com/products/robohelp/faq.html

Regards

Download it once manualy from

hornresp by David McBean

install it...

From then on it should work

Perhaps I can shed some light on this one for you...

I had the same problem and came back to this thread where I knew David had a link in his Sig.

Now I'm not I'm not sure if David changed the original download location but you will note a slight difference between the url you are seeing and the download page.

one is "www.hornresp.net" and the other is ''www.hornresp.net.ms" which takes you to the service providers landing page.

I had a thought around this help problem. I don't program in VB6 any more and havent do so for quite a few years, but really does the help need to be part of the core application?

A dot net version would be more user friendly and easier to code.

Why not make the help a separate application "Hornresp Help" with the ability to add and modify content as new releases are published, in a similar vein to a wiki style help, that way those with the knowing could contribute, and help ease the burden of David having to update help files.

Nothing stops a help file containing a getting started link for tutorials as well as definitions. With the hundred of thousands of views this topic has had why not let the collective intelligence write the help?

Last edited:
@Sabbelbacke (smartass): That's totally besides the point, isn't it.

Hi Johan,

If I am interpreting your message correctly, then I think that you might owe Sabbelbacke an apology :).

He gave you the new address (hornresp by David McBean) not the old one (hornresp).

If it was not for Sabbelbacke's kindness in hosting Hornresp for us all, then the program would not be available to anyone. The need to change the download address was something he had no control over. I for one, am very grateful for his ongoing generosity and assistance.

Kind regards,

David

You simply cannot forget the role of the phase whatever active or passive filtering.

That's why in any case the problem has to be solved in the complex domain (imaginary + real parts of the signal).

Hi Jean-Michel,

I understand why phase shift through filter stages needs to be taken into account when calculating the combined "cross-over" output from two different drivers (eg. bass + midrange), but it is not clear to me why it also necessary for phase to be considered in the Hornresp filter tool, where signals are not being combined.

As far as active filters in the Hornresp wizard are concerned, the constant voltage source Eg is simply being replaced by a voltage that varies in accordance with the specified filter rolloff profile.

Am I missing something here? Thanks.

Kind regards,

David

Hi just a guy,

I'd be willing to do the video first, pending your approval,

Approval from me is not required - I have no editorial control over Hornresp tutorials that other people may choose to produce :).

I know, I know. It's not going to happen.

It's highly unlikely, that's for sure :).

Unfortunately, adding extra segments in a fully integrated manner (the only approach acceptable to me) would require a major rewrite of much of the program - many different code modules would be affected by the change.

Personally, I think the need for more segments may be somewhat overrated. For most practical purposes it should be possible to get a reasonably accurate approximation of bass performance using just four segments, bearing in mind that other simplifying assumptions are made in the simulation model that also contribute towards limiting the accuracy of the predictions (such as treating the driver diaphragm as a rigid plane circular piston, and assuming a straight-axis axisymmetric horn).

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Hi B.,

and people say sometimes that the help is just a strait text that you have to read from the beginning to find something, which is true.

I just use the Help Find feature, when I am looking for something specific.

The best thing to do if possible, is to print out a hard copy of the Help file and keep it handy when first learning to use the program.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Find.png
    Find.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Wizard.png
    Wizard.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 111
You simply cannot forget the role of the phase whatever active or passive filtering.

That's why in any case the problem has to be solved in the complex domain (imaginary + real parts of the signal).

I thought this was only necessary if you needed to combine the acoustical output of several (filtered) sources. David's filter wizard shows the effect of the filter on the |magnitude| of pressure and displacement of a single speaker. I can't see that changing the phase would in any way change the magnitude of either pressure or displacement.

System phase response and group delay will of course change with the filter, but David doesn't show these quantities.

Regards,
Bjørn

Hi just a guy,

Approval from me is not required - I have no editorial control over Hornresp tutorials that other people may choose to produce :).

That's not what I meant. I was saying I would do my part first so you could fully review it and make sure it was totally up to par before you even begin to think about working on adding more segments.

What I was trying to convey is that I have about as much interest in doing a video tutorial as you have in adding more segments. But I'm willing to do it if you are.

It's highly unlikely, that's for sure :).

Unfortunately, adding extra segments in a fully integrated manner (the only approach acceptable to me) would require a major rewrite of much of the program - many different code modules would be affected by the change.

Personally, I think the need for more segments may be somewhat overrated. For most practical purposes it should be possible to get a reasonably accurate approximation of bass performance using just four segments, bearing in mind that other simplifying assumptions are made in the simulation model that also contribute towards limiting the accuracy of the predictions (such as treating the driver diaphragm as a rigid plane circular piston, and assuming a straight-axis axisymmetric horn).

Kind regards,

David

I know all this, we've discussed it at length before. I did show you an example where a 4 segment model was in significant error simply by exporting the file and opening it in Akabak, simply due to CON vs PAR, so I don't think the need is overrated.

I had high hopes for the new tl.app software for this specific purpose but it seems to be abandoned by it's author in a very unpolished state.

I already knew the answer but thanks anyway. I was just giving you something to think about.

Hi B.,

I just use the Help Find feature, when I am looking for something specific.

The best thing to do if possible, is to print out a hard copy of the Help file and keep it handy when first learning to use the program.

Kind regards,

David

Also, let's not forget that a quick search will yield enough info on how to use Hornresp that several books could be published on the subject. Everything anyone ever wanted to know is already out there.

I'll offer this to Silent Screamer and blo06. If you put in the effort to actually read the links I posted and still have any specific questions that aren't addressed there I will answer them personally. Just PM or email me. I'll put in whatever time it takes to make sure you understand and all I ask is that you read those 3 resources before asking for more.