Hornresp - Page 167 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2011, 08:02 AM   #1661
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
Would it be reasonably possible to provide for two different tapped horn models, similar to the current two different horn models: front loaded horn and offset horn? I have found from running quite a number of tapped horn models that many models do benefit from minimizing L12, ideally the driver would energize the horn at S1 instead of S2, you might call this the front loaded tapped horn, versus entering the horn path at S2 for your current offset tapped horn. In the bargain you would gain an additional section for modeling this type of tapped horn, making the program even more versatile.
Hi Oliver,

Unfortunately, the enhancements you are seeking would require a lot of work - something I am not in a position to do at this time. Setting L12 = 0.10 cm in the current tapped horn model should however achieve effectively the same result - although granted, an additional segment does not become available.

It could be an interesting exercise to build your suggested model in AkAbak and then compare the results with the Hornresp L12 = 0.10 approximation to see if the differences are of practical significance.

In the meantime, please keep a lookout for any bugs... :-).

Kind regards,

David

Last edited by David McBean; 12th February 2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12th February 2011, 11:01 AM   #1662
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean View Post
And here's me thinking that the Sample tool already provided "more than sufficient" information :-).
It sure does. Sampling it 533 times however becomes a little more work

I would be fine with it just automatically sampled the tool at all frequencies the normal export function does and dump it into a file with similar structure.

Quote:
From a practical viewpoint I wonder just how useful such additional data might be - it seems that there is enough confusion out there already, when it comes to interpreting the Hornresp Maximum SPL chart :-).
It's usefulness may not be known until it is implemented.
If a "script" is made for the sample tool it's behavior would carry over to all graphs it samples.
A current limit (or current shown in sample tool) might be useful as is relates to a limit imposed by VC wire area or cable area. Or max amp current if you want. Due to phase it might be hard to calculate from the power given.

Quote:
By 'drive voltage' do you mean Eg, or the voltage at the voice-coil taking into account Rg losses?
As Rg loss is ignored when power is shown I guess it is best to leave it "out"(in) here as well. So voltage at the VC. Can't hurt to do both though.

Quote:
By 'phase' I assume you mean the phase difference between voltage and current?
I guess phase is the same as the electrical phase already exported, so it might not be necessary.

This is an advanced feature not used very often so optimization on speed is not a priority.
On any normal computer today it should not be a problem though.
Keep it in mind and see what happens. Only you knows the coding involved and how it might be solved, and if it's worth the time compared to other things.
Old 12th February 2011, 02:19 PM   #1663
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Post #1661

Hi David,

Thank you for looking into it. I'm quite certain, that I'll have to resort to AkAbak.

Regards,
Old 13th February 2011, 05:24 AM   #1664
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It could be an interesting exercise to build your suggested model in AkAbak and then compare the results with the Hornresp L12 = 0.10 approximation to see if the differences are of practical significance.
Hi Oliver,

I couldn't resist checking for myself :-).

The attached Excel chart compares the AkAbak result for a tapped horn having the first diaphragm side facing axially into the throat at S1, against the standard Hornresp result for the same tapped horn, but with L12 = 0.10 cm and S1 = S2.

As expected, the results are essentially identical.

Kind regards,

David
Attached Images
File Type: png Compare.png (42.4 KB, 231 views)
Old 13th February 2011, 05:33 AM   #1665
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Web View Post
Only you knows the coding involved and how it might be solved, and if it's worth the time compared to other things.
Hi David_Web,

Thanks for your comments.

I will have a look when I get a chance - I'm not promising anything, though :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 13th February 2011, 11:54 AM   #1666
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

i have a question about the le input in hr.
in ts parameterrs the value usualy is given @ 1khz and sometimes also @ 10 khx
i always thought that the le value was a static nr,but recently i discoverd that the value decreases with increasing frequenty.

this pic is from a typical beyma woofer ,le =2.4 @ 1khz as given in
th small parameters
Click the image to open in full size.
when moddeling a subwoofer in the range of 30hz > 120 hz ,shouldnt the le vallue be according to the le vallue in that freq band?
reason for asking is sometimes inserting (adding coil) a higher le value gives a smoother responce in the pasband.
Old 13th February 2011, 04:23 PM   #1667
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Post #1664

Hi David,

Thanks for the sanity check, it confirms what I have done. For me it comes down to needing the additional sections to facilitate different tapers. Your export facility makes it easy enough to get started.

Regards,
Old 14th February 2011, 06:26 AM   #1668
diyAudio Member

Hi epa,

Quote:
Originally Posted by epa View Post
i have a question about the le input in hr. in ts parameterrs the value usualy is given @ 1khz and sometimes also @ 10 khx i always thought that the le value was a static nr,but recently i discoverd that the value decreases with increasing frequenty.
The Hornresp simulation model assumes a perfect inductor, where the value of the inductance is independent of frequency. The reactance of that inductance will however increase with frequency:

Reactance (ohms) = 2 * Pi * frequency (hertz) * inductance (henrys)

Quote:
when moddeling a subwoofer in the range of 30hz > 120 hz ,shouldnt the le vallue be according to the le vallue in that freq band?
Yes, as far as specifying just the inductance of the driver voice-coil is concerned.

Quote:
reason for asking is sometimes inserting (adding coil) a higher le value gives a smoother responce in the pasband.
The value of an external inductor can be added to the driver voice-coil value if so desired, to modify the overall system response:

Le = L external + L voicecoil

Kind regards,

David
Old 14th February 2011, 06:38 AM   #1669
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I will have a look when I get a chance.
Hi David_Web,

Values for the following parameters have been now been added to the standard exported chart data list.
They are included even when the Maximum SPL tool is not used.

Ein - Loudspeaker system input voltage
Pin - Loudspeaker system input power
Iin - Loudspeaker system input current
IPhase - Phase difference between Iin and Ein

Product Number 2830-110214 refers.

Kind regards,

David
Old 14th February 2011, 07:43 AM   #1670
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The value of an external inductor can be added to the driver voice-coil value if so desired, to modify the overall system response.
I should have perhaps added that the external inductor will act simply as a low-pass filter :-).

Hide this!Advertise here!