Hornresp - Page 159 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2011, 09:32 AM   #1581
vadi is offline vadi  Austria
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I also have to use combined response and enter the "dipole length" I think?

I still get progressively more output towards very low frequencies than in the spreadsheet I used (where displacement limits the output).

Last edited by vadi; 13th January 2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 13th January 2011, 02:53 PM   #1582
diyAudio Member

If you're referring to the Linkwitz sheet I think you are, isn't that to calculate max output based on volume displacement? That is different than calculating the frequency response. It will likely take different voltage inputs at various frequencies to reach the levels calculated in the Linkwitz sheet while hornresp is calculating the response for a constant voltage at all frequencies. You could try to compare them by calculating the response in hornresp and then running the max spl calculation.
Old 13th January 2011, 03:36 PM   #1583
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I did mean the Linkwitz sheet, yes, also I was referring to the max SPL calculation. The lower the frequency I compare, the bigger the difference gets. The sheet gives me less and less output the lower I go.
Old 13th January 2011, 04:08 PM   #1584
diyAudio Member

Yes, that's because it requires more and more displacement as frequency decreases to maintain a constant SPL level. If you look at the excursion plot in Hornresp, you'll see excursion is not constant for a constant voltage input. If you are saying that the max spl calculation in hornresp does not match the linkwitz sheet, you have to make sure you're running the calculation after you calculate the combined response.
Old 13th January 2011, 04:22 PM   #1585
diyAudio Member

I did mean the max SPL calculation and I did do the combined response before, yes. I entered the same (dipole) distance in both calculators: 240mm in the sheet and 24cm path length difference in Hornresp.
I did some screens of both:
Attached Images
File Type: gif Clipboard-1.gif (23.2 KB, 275 views)
File Type: gif Clipboard-2.gif (32.2 KB, 280 views)
File Type: gif Clipboard-3.gif (28.8 KB, 261 views)
Old 13th January 2011, 04:27 PM   #1586
diyAudio Member

The hornresp number is power limited instead of xmax. It says your xmax is 28.7mm instead of the 10mm you have in the Linkwitz sheet. So it's exactly as one would expect. SPL=67+20*log10(28.7/10)=76dB. Compare that to 75.6dB - pretty close.

Edit - on second look that is not exactly what hornresp is saying.... But something is wrong, and it probably has something to do with the xmax that is assumed.
Old 14th January 2011, 07:53 AM   #1587
diyAudio Member

Hi John and vadi,

For the example given, Hornresp assumes that the rear of the diaphragm is the 1.24 metres from the listener and that the mouth of the 0.01 cm long cylindrical horn is 1 metre from the listener (in this case the dipole speaker is actually being modelled as a back-loaded horn system).

For the same example, the Linkwitz spreadsheet assumes that both the front and rear sides of the diaphragm are 1 metre from the listener. The 24 cm path length difference is taken into account when combining the two signals, but not when calculating the absolute SPL at the listening point.

This is why the Hornresp and Linkwitz combined response SPL results are different.

Kind regards,

David
Old 17th January 2011, 02:09 AM   #1588
diyAudio Member

David,

Is there any chance of making a future update of HR where the screen can be maximized?
Old 18th January 2011, 07:54 AM   #1589
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Ricci View Post
Is there any chance of making a future update of HR where the screen can be maximized?
Hi Josh,

Sorry, but the chance of this happening is very small indeed :-).

Kind regards,

David

Last edited by David McBean; 18th January 2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 20th January 2011, 06:47 PM   #1590
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Ricci View Post
David,

Have you tried changing your montor's DPI settings to a larger font? On 1 of my monitors, I'm using DVI to HDMI 1080p (1920 x 1080 pixels) and 200% DPI. HR looks 4:3 on the 16:9 screen.

Hide this!Advertise here!