Hornresp - Page 156 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2011, 01:10 PM   #1551
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Mr. T

I'm not so sure of how you get a kerf of 0.050 to begin with.

Second. At least over here a plywood panel is 48" x 96". The thinnest blade I have in my shop takes an 0.080 kerf. And I have a great deal of blades over 100 actually.

If you had a good piece of plywood with clean edges you could do a center cut loosing 0.125" in total and be left with 23.937 but that is at hit and miss type of situation. Could work though. I have done that in the past in a pinch.

I have been in cabinetmaking for most of my life.
Old 6th January 2011, 02:43 PM   #1552
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys.

Andrew, you are 100% correct about making the depth under 24" vs 24.5", but as I am using full height (48"), the width matters little as I have some spare on the sides. But usually, I would have cut boards to 23.875" just to make sure they are cut clean.

Anyone know if Hornresp will work on a PC with Vista? I have bought a Toshiba Satellite 300 about two years ago and never used it. I may put back to work for HornResp.
Old 6th January 2011, 02:55 PM   #1553
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
you could do a center cut loosing 0.125" in total and be left with 23.937 but that is a hit and miss type of situation
I am not a professional woodworker and I can see that pushing 2 pieces of 23.937" from a 48" panel is asking a lot.
True edges are important to airtightness.
Old 7th January 2011, 11:26 AM   #1554
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
If you look at the below measurement -- you see a 12db/oct roll off for a half octave below 60hz, then a 24db/oct roll off from there on down. Hornresp only predicts a 24db/oct roll off.

mathematically -- do you have an explanation? or would it be possible to have a hornresp addition, where you could optionally choose this response curve where the first half oct is only 12db/oct, and then 24db/oct on down from there? (tapped horn only)
Hi jbell,

Sorry but I donít have a mathematical explanation for the difference you are seeing between the Hornresp tapped horn predictions and your measurements. The Hornresp tapped horn power response results are identical to those produced by AkAbak so it would seem that the simulation model is reasonable, even after allowing for the following limitations:

1. The driver diaphragm is assumed to be a rigid plane circular piston.
2. No provision is made for horn transmission losses.
3. Behaviour at all input voltage levels is assumed to be linear. No allowance is made for low frequency high power amplitude compression.

Perhaps the observed differences have something to do with the measuring setup, as others have suggested.

I am reluctant to add any feature to Hornresp that arbitrarily modifies the results produced by the standard simulation model.

Kind regards,

David
Old 7th January 2011, 11:51 AM   #1555
diyAudio Member

Hi just a guy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a guy View Post
Having said that, I don't like the new slider behavior at all. When I upgraded to v28.2 last night I couldn't figure out what was going on.
To clarify - are you referring to Version 28.20 or Version 28.30 (the latest release)? If Version 28.30, then I would be very interested to know what specific aspect of the slider operation is causing the problems.

Quote:
I don't expect my opinion to matter.
Be assured, I value all feedback regarding Hornresp very highly indeed.

Kind regards,

David
Old 7th January 2011, 11:58 AM   #1556
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
Anyone know if Hornresp will work on a PC with Vista?
Hi Lee,

Hornresp works fine with Vista.

Kind regards,

David
Old 7th January 2011, 03:36 PM   #1557
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean View Post
Hi just a guy,

To clarify - are you referring to Version 28.20 or Version 28.30 (the latest release)? If Version 28.30, then I would be very interested to know what specific aspect of the slider operation is causing the problems.
Hi sir. I'm referring to 28.20. That was the latest release at the moment I downloaded it.

I'll be happy to comment on 28.30 ASAP, but unfortunately that probably won't be for at least a week. I am still unable to download Hornresp from home due to my dial up connection. You may remember we discussed this before and there was never a resolution. I tried again just now to be sure, it downloaded 295K, said it was done, and when I try to install it gives error message "Zip file is damaged, truncated or has been changed since it was created. If you downloaded this file try downloading again." I'll download 28.30 as soon as I get to a high speed connection and comment on that version.

Quote:
Be assured, I value all feedback regarding Hornresp very highly indeed.

Kind regards,

David
I know and it's appreciated, probably more than you know. I just want it to be clear that I know who is boss around here. I requested a couple of features awhile back in what I was sure would be recognized as a joking tone and was immediately slammed hard by the patrons of this thread. (Not you though, and FWIW IIRC you said no at the time but the requested changes were eventually incorporated so thanks for that.)

Last edited by just a guy; 7th January 2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 7th January 2011, 04:30 PM   #1558
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

I use to have this problem a lot with zip files from certain sites, so sent you a PM with it attached to your hotmail account to see if that might be the problem.

GM
Old 7th January 2011, 04:36 PM   #1559
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am still unable to download Hornresp from home due to my dial up connection. You may remember we discussed this before and there was never a resolution.
Although there was never a resolution to the actual issue, you did offer to personally make sure I received updates, an offer so far above and beyond that I could never accept.

(Just had to add this note lest you think I was complaining and therefore the most selfish person in the universe.)
Old 7th January 2011, 04:40 PM   #1560
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
I use to have this problem a lot with zip files from certain sites, so sent you a PM with it attached to your hotmail account to see if that might be the problem.

GM
Thank you, sir, very much appreciated. Email received. I'm on the way out the door right at the moment but I hope to be able to try it out by this evening. I'll report back ASAP.

Hide this!Advertise here!