Hornresp - Page 154 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2010, 07:13 AM   #1531
diyAudio Member

Hi Oliver,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
I second David_Web's remarks. This is truly an enabling piece of technology.

Quote:
Haven't found any bugs yet, all seems well.
Please keep looking!

Quote:
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Thanks - and to you also.

Kind regards,

David
Old 29th December 2010, 04:48 AM   #1532
diyAudio Member

Hi David_Web,

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Web View Post
Perhaps a check could be done to see if the derived value differs from the value on the input page and then turn it to manual if so.
So done - Product Number 2830-101229 refers. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Kind regards,

David
Old 4th January 2011, 02:26 PM   #1533
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

David:

First HUGE thanks from me for this wonderful tool. I am truly a hornresp addict.

I just came to a thought about my many tapped horns and the simulations of them. I have for a very long time been confused as to why the low frequency response of my horns doesn't line up exactly with hornresp. I've for quite awhile been convinced that what I build 'must' be longer than what I think it is.... however a light bulb just went off in my head.

If you look at the below measurement -- you see a 12db/oct roll off for a half octave below 60hz, then a 24db/oct roll off from there on down. Hornresp only predicts a 24db/oct roll off.

That half octave, where the roll off is only 12db/oct is the difference. I went back and checked all of my past measurements, and they agree... the first half octave is not a 24db/oct roll off.

mathematically -- do you have an explanation? or would it be possible to have a hornresp addition, where you could optionally choose this response curve where the first half oct is only 12db/oct, and then 24db/oct on down from there? (tapped horn only)

I think this may fall into danleys comment about when your sim doesn't match your measurement, you need to update your simulation. (either that... or I'm just crazy... either is possible.) Obviously, now that I realize (what I believe is) the relationship between my measurements and my sims, I can just mentally do the offset, but it'd be nice to see it on screen.

THANKS.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by jbell; 4th January 2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 4th January 2011, 03:29 PM   #1534
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
If you look at the below measurement -- you see a 12db/oct roll off for a half octave below 60hz, then a 24db/oct roll off from there on down. Hornresp only predicts a 24db/oct roll off.

That half octave, where the roll off is only 12db/oct is the difference. I went back and checked all of my past measurements, and they agree... the first half octave is not a 24db/oct roll off.
FWIW, I'm not seeing a similar difference in rolloff rates in my measurements (TrueRTA and HolmImpulse), though I've only built two P.O.C.s so far. What drive voltage are you using for your tests?
Old 4th January 2011, 03:48 PM   #1535
soho54 is offline soho54  United States
diyAudio Member

There are far too many sims that exactly match the measured response at this point, even below the cutoff.

Good plans, of exactly what was built are needed to say much more.

Last edited by soho54; 4th January 2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 4th January 2011, 08:02 PM   #1536
diyAudio Member

Hi, remember me? I haven't been around here for awhile.

Please let me begin by saying that I love Hornresp. I use it 10 times more than any other modelling software and I recommend it to others all the time (to individuals as well as on my website). In fact, if Hornresp could simulate stuffing and air velocity at the mouth (port), I would probably never need any other modelling software at all.

Having said that, I don't like the new slider behavior at all. (I haven't upgraded since v26.5.) The way it used to work was extremely intuitive, a 6 year old could figure it out with no instruction and no problem. When I upgraded to v28.2 last night I couldn't figure out what was going on, so I came back to this thread and read over the last 10 pages.

Now I realize you can toggle between 1, 10 and 100 increment changes, but only if you use the click arrows at each end of the slider (or the space on either side of the position bar). IMO, this renders the actual slider almost completely useless, technically all you need now are the click arrows. I find this new behavior extremely unintuitive, especially for new users, but also for long time users like me. This in itself isn't a big deal, everyone should be reading the instructions anyway, but I genuinely liked the old behavior much much more. Besides being more intuitive it was just plain easier and faster to use.

I don't expect my opinion to matter and I'm not actually requesting that it be changed back. But I do have a request.

Could someone please email me the setup file for the latest (relatively bug free) version before the slider behavior changed? Somewhere between 26.5 and 28, I guess. I've never been unhappy with a Hornresp update before, and consequently I don't keep the older setup files.

I will continue to update to the newest versions (on another computer) to take advantage of any new features but I would greatly prefer to use an older version for my day to day use.

Last edited by just a guy; 4th January 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 4th January 2011, 08:29 PM   #1537
soho54 is offline soho54  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a guy View Post
I don't expect my opinion to matter and I'm not actually requesting that it be changed back. But I do have a request.

Could someone please email me the setup file for the latest (relatively bug free) version before the slider behavior changed? Somewhere between 26.5 and 28, I guess. I've never been unhappy with a Hornresp update before, and consequently I don't keep the older setup files.
Here are the files you need for HR 2800-101017 non-auto slider version.

I believe this is the last version before the slider updates. Just add a new folder to the HR main folder, and extract these files to it. You should copy your main .dat file, and paste it into the new folder here to move your saved models over. The other bits will be generated once you run the new/old version.
Attached Files
File Type: zip HR28.0A.zip (360.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: zip HR28.0B.zip (689.8 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by soho54; 4th January 2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 4th January 2011, 11:02 PM   #1538
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There are far too many sims that exactly match the measured response at this point, even below the cutoff.

Good plans, of exactly what was built are needed to say much more.
X2

I can consistently generate a response graph that matches what is simmed. So maybe it's the measurement rig?

Been there and done that before to.

Mark
Old 4th January 2011, 11:29 PM   #1539
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
X2

I can consistently generate a response graph that matches what is simmed. So maybe it's the measurement rig?

Been there and done that before to.

Mark
I did leave open the possibility of me being crazy... However this is across multiple cabinets and across multiple testing rigs. My handheld spl meter and test tones backs up smaart/reference mic and pink noise. I've also tried different usb preamps just to make sure it's not something in my test rig. They all line up.

I was just curious if there was a mathematical possibility of why I seem to see a gradual roll off, and then a steep roll off vs. the predicted steep rolloff hornresp predicts.

If you take olivers cad drawing of my ss15 and hornresp inputs, and then compare it to my smaart measurement... you'll go huh? nah... not the same at all.

It's been this way since I started modeling TH cabinets with hornresp. It may be me... but I know what I sim and what I build never quite line up. This fudge of redrawing the first half octave below the lower peak at 12db/oct instead of 24 is the best fit I've seen that lets my sims match my measurements....

don't know why.
Old 4th January 2011, 11:47 PM   #1540
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
I did leave open the possibility of me being crazy... However this is across multiple cabinets and across multiple testing rigs. My handheld spl meter and test tones backs up smaart/reference mic and pink noise. I've also tried different usb preamps just to make sure it's not something in my test rig. They all line up.
At what input voltage level to the THs are you doing your tests?

Hide this!Advertise here!