Hornresp - Page 148 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2010, 07:18 AM   #1471
diyAudio Member

Default Hornresp Version 28.10

Hi Everyone,

Hornresp Version 28.10 has just been released.

The following changes have been made to the Loudspeaker Wizard:

1. Four Segment Tapped Horn Loudspeaker Wizard:

Horn parameter sliders are now displayed in two views:

'Horn S1 - S5' shows S1, S3, S5 and L12, L23, L34, L45
'Horn S2 - S4' shows S2, S3, S4 and L12, L23, L34, L45

Under default conditions S1, S2, S3, S4 and S5 can be adjusted independently.

Double-clicking the S2 slider label in view 'Horn S2 - S4' combines segments 1 and 2 and automates the calculation of S2. Slider S2 is disabled. Double-clicking again re-enables slider S2 and de-combines segments 1 and 2.

Double-clicking the S4 slider label in view 'Horn S2 - S4' combines segments 3 and 4 and automates the calculation of S4. Slider S4 is disabled. Double-clicking again re-enables slider S4 and de-combines segments 3 and 4.

As with the previous version, double-clicking any length slider changes the flare type for that segment.

2. Three Segment Tapped Horn Loudspeaker Wizard:

Horn parameter sliders are displayed in a single view:

'Horn S1 - S4' shows S1, S2, S3, S4 and L12, L23, L34

Under default conditions S1, S2, S3 and S4 can be adjusted independently.

Double-clicking the S2 slider label in view 'Horn S1 - S4' combines segments 1 and 2 and automates the calculation of S2. Slider S2 is disabled. Double-clicking again re-enables slider S2 and de-combines segments 1 and 2.

Double-clicking the S3 slider label in view 'Horn S1 - S4' combines segments 2 and 3 and automates the calculation of S3. Slider S3 is disabled. Double-clicking again re-enables slider S3 and de-combines segments 2 and 3.

Double-clicking both the S2 and S3 slider labels in view 'Horn S1 - S4' combines segments 1 , 2 and 3 and automates the calculation of S2 and S3.

As with the previous version, double-clicking any length slider changes the flare type for that segment.

3. Offset Driver Horn Loudspeaker Wizard:

Under default conditions S1, S2 and S3 can be adjusted independently.

Double-clicking the S2 slider label combines segments 1 and 2 and automates the calculation of S2. Slider S2 is disabled. Double-clicking again re-enables slider S2 and de-combines segments 1 and 2.

My thanks to Oliver (tb46) for prompting me to implement the above changes :-).

As always, could you please report any bugs you find, no matter how minor they may seem.

Kind regards,

David
Old 29th November 2010, 09:15 AM   #1472
jamikl is offline jamikl  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much again David. I don't know how you do it!
Your time management skills must be amazing.
jamikl
Old 29th November 2010, 12:57 PM   #1473
diyAudio Member

Neat!
However could you bring back previous behavior when it comes to scaling the sliders?
As the highest value set the range appropriate range for the rest of the sliders. I thought it was easier to use.
Although I guess more people should state there preference.

The message "double-click x for auto" seems to be a bit random when adjusting the slider. Should probably only show up when mouse over S1 to S5 label.
Same with "double-click x for flare". As both obscure the total length message.

Changing any slider also changes S3 value label (if S3 was the last slider changed). Only happens once though.
Old 29th November 2010, 02:29 PM   #1474
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

I'm playing with it and slowly discovering it's merits.

It will take some getting used to but I think this is a step in the right direction.

Thanks David.

Mark
Old 29th November 2010, 03:47 PM   #1475
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi David,

Thanks for making all cross-sectional areas adjustable independently in the Wizards. The Auto features will take some getting used to, but I like them. I have not had a lot of time to use all the new features, but I'll let you know if I run into any problems.

Thanks again for your continuing effort,

Regards,
Old 30th November 2010, 02:08 AM   #1476
diyAudio Member

Default Possible Version Incompatibility

Hi David,

I imported the attached tHdual4.txt and found some incompatibility between it and the newest Hornresp version:

1. Open Wizard, set to: Response / Horn S1 - S4 / L23 Variable

2. Move S3, then move it back to the initial value (i.e.: 199.00 intead of 199.63)

3. Click anywhere on the S4 slider or slider bar, and the value of S3 jumps, but stays stable after that (further clicking of S4 will not affect it).

This behaviour does not occur with my own old 3 section TH files (created over the last few years, at least I haven't found one yet). I asked the originator of that file for the version number, Post #12:

Can someone comment on my hornresp simulations on the MCM8?

Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: txt THdual4.txt (413 Bytes, 22 views)
Old 30th November 2010, 03:16 PM   #1477
diyAudio Member

Default Possible Bug

Hi David,

I have now seen the same behaviour as pointed out in the last post with some of my old TH models, so it looks like a bug. I cannot make it happen every time, or consistently?

Regards,
Old 1st December 2010, 06:38 AM   #1478
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamikl View Post
Thanks very much again David.
Hi jamikl,

You're welcome :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 1st December 2010, 06:56 AM   #1479
diyAudio Member

Hi David_Web,

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Web View Post
However could you bring back previous behavior when it comes to scaling the sliders? As the highest value set the range appropriate range for the rest of the sliders. I thought it was easier to use. Although I guess more people should state there preference.
The tapped horn wizard area slider scaling arrangements were altered because a number of users felt that the original method was somewhat confusing, with the slider control settings moving around for no apparent reason, even though the actual slider values did not change :-).

All loudspeaker types now use the same scaling system (previously the tapped horn wizard was different to the others). An advantage of the new method is that tapped horn areas are no longer restricted to 64000 sq cm (although this limitation does not really present a problem in practice).

I would be very interested in receiving more feedback on this issue - do other users have a preference for the old scaling method?

Quote:
The message "double-click x for auto" seems to be a bit random when adjusting the slider. Should probably only show up when mouse over S1 to S5 label. Same with "double-click x for flare". As both obscure the total length message.
The "double-click" messages are definitely not random :-). They occur when those sliders that can be double-clicked, get the focus. The total length message re-appears just as soon as a slider value is altered. I included the feature so that users could not fail to see the messages - rather than relying on the mouse being moved over a label for the information to be displayed.

I do agree however that the method employed is a bit intrusive, and may be distracting for some users. Accordingly the "double-click x for flare" messages are no longer displayed - this information is already contained in the Loudspeaker Wizard section of the Help file anyway. The "double-click x for auto" message is now only shown the first time that the slider gets the focus, not every time (it was easier to do this than to detail all the different options in the Help file).

Quote:
Changing any slider also changes S3 value label (if S3 was the last slider changed). Only happens once though.
This problem has been fixed in the latest release. Product Number 2810-101201 refers.

Kind regards,

David
Old 1st December 2010, 07:03 AM   #1480
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
I have now seen the same behaviour as pointed out in the last post with some of my old TH models, so it looks like a bug. I cannot make it happen every time, or consistently?
Hi Oliver,

Many thanks for the detailed description of the problem. The bug has now been fixed. The latest release is Product Number 2810-101201.

I looked into the possibility of locking individual input parameter values, but decided not to proceed with the implementation of this feature. I think it might have created more new problems than it would have solved :-).

Kind regards,

David

Hide this!Advertise here!